Thread: Semi-overnighter paid off with a PB!

Semi-overnighter paid off with a PB!

Hi All,
    I've been desperate for a fish, and Saturday morning was really my only option. I like to fish the tide change out at Harry's, and the Saturday morning low was something like 4.45am. A bit of mental arithmetic, and I realised I'd have to get out of bed at about 3am to have a shot at being set up for the tide change. A check of Seabreeze showed that it was supposed to be <5kt all night, so I decided to forgo sleep and launched the boat from Manly at just after midnight. Plan was to anchor up, burley, and float out some baits for a few hours, then drop SPs all over the place on a drift on the tide change.
    Being my first night trip, and first time fishing solo at night, I took my time to get myself sorted and decided to do a few drifts to work out where to anchor. Figured I might as well send down a SP for sheets and giggles while I was drifting anyway, and the Gulp Squid Vicious seemed ideal.
    I was really just screwing around, not expecting a thing, when I got a couple of taps on the line. Thought another drift or two might be in order as there was something down there awake at that ungodly hour. A couple of drifts turned into a couple more drifts and just as it was hitting 2am, something hit my pretty little nuc chook squid vicious. Something heavy. Or heavy enough. Pulled a good bit of line, slowly and steadily, with a few head shakes. If it wasn't for the headshakes, I would have called it for a ray. It would take slow runs. It was an interesting situation, fishing by the moonlight (not counting the light from the sounder and the nav lights), could see which way the rod tip was pointing, but couldn't see the line. I had no idea how much line was out, when I finally saw some silver colour below the surface. First thought: "Awww, a little Jewie, must've foul hooked him". I was somewhat wrong. Turns out he wasn't s close to the surface as I had thought. When he finally popped up and made it into the boat, he measured out at 87cm. I was not only pretty happy with it (only caught two legal jewies prior to this night, with the biggest going somewhere around 92cm), but quite surprised to score on a SP so far from the tide change.

Anyway, thought that was pretty cool so thought I'd make the drift just one more time (yeah, right!).
    Very next drift, I got hammered. This one had more weight and took off with a whole lot more speed. I fell into a dream of a huge snapper, maybe even the mythical 20 pounder. I was confident of my knots and gear, and just took my time. Much more time than with the aforementioned jew. Finally, I saw colour in the moonlight. Another jew! While I was disappointed it wasn't a PB snapper, it was a new PB at 97cm.
    Not long after that, the wind started to blow a bit, and the water started to chop right up (or so it seemed in the dark). I continued to slog it out for the next 60-90min, but it was dark, I was cold and my boat is only a 4.2m. My concern was that once the tide changed, the wind would be against the current, and it'd get a whole lot messier. With 2 jew on board, I called it a night and started the very slow trip back. Could barely get over 6 knots. Started to calm by the time I got to Green Is, and by the time I hit the leads into Manly, the sky became significantly lighter and the bay was glassed out again!

Long story for two fish, but hey, what else am I supposed to do while the girlfriend is watching TV?

Oh, went pretty much 5kg and 7kg. I expected a bit more weight out of them, the 92cm I caught a few months ago went 7.5kg.

Cheers!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6591.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	77897

Re: Semi-overnighter paid off with a PB!

Nice work on the jews. It always pays to think safe, especially when you're out by yourself, and in the dark.
    Good things come to those who bait

Blog Entries

Great report mate. Thanks for taking the time to write it up. 2 nice jew, I would be very happy with that!!!!!

Great post mate and a good result. Wasnt it raining last night or did it stop before midnight. Good plan for an early fish as i waited for sun arvo and 20 plus was to much. Good reward for a well planned trip. It makes us feel there are still fish out there. Cheers DD.....

great nites fishing mate well done...just got a couple more packets of squid vicous to try.i got a packed a while ago and still havnt tried them...thinking a trial run at mud...i am a bait fisho but i think they will be deadly offshore for snapps...

DD, it was Friday night. Except for the couple of hours it blew up a bit, it was perfect.
    Agrav8, agree on the safety issue. Had the safety lanyard on at all times the engine was running, and tossed the life jacket on for the trip home. I'm going to grab an inflatable vest that I can wear at all times before I head out at night again.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Damned67 View Post
    DD, it was Friday night. Except for the couple of hours it blew up a bit, it was perfect.
    Agrav8, agree on the safety issue. Had the safety lanyard on at all times the engine was running, and tossed the life jacket on for the trip home. I'm going to grab an inflatable vest that I can wear at all times before I head out at night again.

Cheers!
    Great to see reward for your effort mate, the inflatable vests are great, easy to wear. We use them when crossing bars or if its a bit sloppy.

Mark

Well done Damned67 the effort you put in was certainly rewarded with a couple of very nice fish. Also good to hear you use your lanyard mate many dont.
    Cheers Axl

Excellent effort AGAIN Jas. You are becoming a bay whisperer!!

Steve

Great effort and a top read mate, thanks for taking the time to post. Were you dead sticking the plastics or actively working them on the drift?
    Top jew there will make a great feed.

cheers Millsy

2 nice Jewies there and we'll done. Well written and good to see common sense still exsists when it comes to safety. Thanks for the report.

Cheers from boony
    Fishing can be defined as "A jerk on one end of the rod, waiting for a jerk on the other".
    "Fishing was around along time before you darling"

Quote Originally Posted by Millsydude View Post
    Great effort and a top read mate, thanks for taking the time to post. Were you dead sticking the plastics or actively working them on the drift?
    cheers Millsy
    'Actively working'. Just dropping over the side to the sea floor and giving them some slow jigs/lift & drops etc. Pretty much just killing time, and was a small step up from dead sticking.
    I was on 16ld FC leader this time. I've lost a few good fish lately on 10lb, so stepped it up a (small) notch.