Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best months for tailor ? Balina area

Best months for tailor ? Balina area

Is it worth trying now or do u need to wait till June ?

Re: Best months for tailor ? Balina area

Last time i was up that way i was chatting to the cleaner from the unit i rented at Byron. He was a ex pro fisher (trawler then trapper) out of brunz. I asked him about the best time to hit up the big tailor and he said south ballina beach in June. I believe you can drive on the beach so you can suss out the best gutters etc.

Hope that helps.

There are tailor on most of the beaches and headlands now. Ranging in size from sub legal to 4kg fair dinkum greenbacks. I was at flat rock at 3pm this arv, I landed 3 choppers in 15mins. I Left em biting when it become apparent that they were on the small side. A mass of birds working the Nth side of the rock with fish busting underneath, haven't seen tailor like that for 5 years or more.

stonecold,

How are you going mate? I've decided to go down for a drive soon (after next week) your way to see if I can catch some tailor.

I dont have a 4WD and not much point in using google map. Can you pm a good spot and is a car safe to park there or is it not to safe?

I have not heard from Muzz for quite some time, busy working no doubt.

Is that Ballina bar worse than before?

Cheers, Bondy

G'Day Bondy, you dont need a 4wd to get into some brilliant beach gutters at the moment. There are some good gutters on Angels beach, Shelly beach and lighthouse beach on the northern side of Ballina. Car parking is all as safe as you will get anywhere. All the beaches have had tailor on them over the past 2-3 weeks. Lots of bait. The bigger fish dont generally arrive till on or an hour after dark and have a preference for large oily cut baits.
    The bar has improved significantly over the past 6 months. I know the pro's are cheering, well at least it said so in the paper.

Muzz is busy with work and family duties at the moment but still about.

Cheers

Cool I just bought a new beach rod I am keen to go when ever, I have a 4wd but I beleive you need a beach permit and a fishing permit

Quote Originally Posted by stonecold View Post
    There are tailor on most of the beaches and headlands now. Ranging in size from sub legal to 4kg fair dinkum greenbacks. I was at flat rock at 3pm this arv, I landed 3 choppers in 15mins. I Left em biting when it become apparent that they were on the small side. A mass of birds working the Nth side of the rock with fish busting underneath, haven't seen tailor like that for 5 years or more.
    Where is Flat Rock?? I am firmiliar with Black Rock just past haistings.

Best bet is the attached Google map. You can pretty much see where the gutters are on the map. Flat rock which is on the map can only be fished on the last of the run out and first bit of the run in and only from a select couple of spots. Its low lying and dangerous in a swell. Lots better places to fish if your not experienced. Besides the reef on either side loves lures if you don't know where to throw. Another important spot is the Shawsy...marked in red. Great spot after you've fished or when your feeling dehydrated
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the map appreciated ......... think you might be right.........i fished bogangar for years I know that area well.........but not this area I will start with the beaches..............so anywhere in the gutters?? I have only rock rished............Beach i new to me...........

I remember one sport north on the beach from Evans Head...........unbelievably large bream im talking in the kls...........Steve starling actually wrote about the spot as where to catch the largest bream in australia.........id beleive it from what I saw.

Yahoo.

I'll be on the ledge from the 30th march for 4 days.

Rod

My dictionary defines green as ‘unripe, immature, undeveloped'. Perfect description.

Most political parties are seen as interested in what the voters think, the Greens are seen as thinking the community should be interested in what they think.

Quote Originally Posted by stonecold View Post
    There are tailor on most of the beaches and headlands now. Ranging in size from sub legal to 4kg fair dinkum greenbacks.
    When did you start calling them greenbacks ??? i though they were all choppers

I would have been able to add a little to this thread a while back but have hardly fished the beaches or rocks around ballina for months. When i have though there has been no shortage of choppers. Find a gutter or a head land and you will find them but like stonecold said keep an eye on the tides. Many of the local Ballina headlands can get tricky on a rising tide.

Whats the ledge?

Quote Originally Posted by nowornever1972 View Post
    Whats the ledge?
    Broadwater.

Rod

My dictionary defines green as ‘unripe, immature, undeveloped'. Perfect description.

Most political parties are seen as interested in what the voters think, the Greens are seen as thinking the community should be interested in what they think.

G'day everyone,

Thansk stonecold for the tip on Ballina beaches, dont want to go down there when a big swell or heavy SE blowing, I've had enough swimming and flying lessons for awhile.

How are you Rod (mowerman)? You still fish at Harrys on occassion?

Nowornever1972, I've driven down to that spot called Black Rock, but further down, spent 3 hours there for zilch. I was told black rock would be ideal, there are some gutters in close looking at Google Earth. Maybe we can team up and do a fish session down there. Permit comes under Tweed Shire council I think or is it Byron Shire?.

Bondy

When did you start calling them greenbacks ??? i though they were all choppers
    Since the last time I called em choppers and nobody new what i was talking about