Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soft Plastics offshore in summer time

Soft Plastics offshore in summer time

Does anyone have regular success catching fish on soft plastics offshore from Moreton Island, Stradbroke Island and the Gold Coast during summer time. Latelly i haven't been able to catch anything on the plastics. Not sure if the new combo is bad luck. I'm running a Egrell Bear Essentials Rod, 4500 Saltiga S Extreme spooled with 50lb Daiwa Saltiga Hyper PE and ive got a 40lb flurocarbon leader on there at the moment. I use jigheads from 1oz to 4oz, some normal lead head jigheads and some glow powdercoated jigheads. Mostly use 7" gulp jerkshads and 6" gulp grubs, also some Z mans with the paddle tail.

I have recently been purchasing some light knife jigs from 60-120 grams to start trying jigs instead of plastics and hopefully getting a few more fish.

I'm almost tempted to buy another 2-5kg plastics rod and 2500 size reel and start chasing the bay Snapper again as i had plenty of success in the past using lightly weighted soft plastics around mud and the northern bay.

I was hoping to just stick with offshore plastic fishing but with all the fishless trips latelly it might be time to do a bit of bay fishing again.

Is winter better for plastic fishing ?

cheers tim

Re: Soft Plastics offshore in summer time

Let me know when you get it sorted tim
    I find winter is a good time to use a heavier nearly a full stout beer German Dunkel is a hit Hope this helps
    cheers
    Dick

Dick and other bait fisherman, please don't fill my thread with bullcrap

I'm after decent replies

cheers tim

I would down size your leader for sps I use 20lb unless it's for kings or ajs as for jig 40 would be ok, how deep are you fishing to use 1 to 4 oz jig heads

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hutchison View Post
    I would down size your leader for sps I use 20lb unless it's for kings or ajs as for jig 40 would be ok, how deep are you fishing to use 1 to 4 oz jig heads

Yeah i used to use a Egrell Bear S10-H with 4000 certate, 20lb braid and 20-30lb leader. I used to use up to 2oz jigheads with that combo.

Decided to upgrade to the new combo so i could use up to 4oz jigheads in 100 metres of water, i regularly use 1oz jigheads around hutchies etc in 20-40 metres unless the current is roaring, plus i was planning on some light knife jigging up to 120 grams (max weight for the Bear Essentials rod)

I have caught a few kings at square patch in 90 metres of water using 4oz glow jigheads with Z man paddle tails ripped up like a knife jig. So maybe for the shallower water i need to drop down to a 20lb flurocarbon leader and just use the 40lb for jigging and chasing kings and Aj's.

cheers tim

Tim, you should have kept your old outfit. The new one will be great for dropping BIG plastics with a bit of weight. Once you have 100m or so of 50lb braid floating around you are hardly presenting a finesse offering. I could never understand why you flogged of a perfectly good outfit that left a big hole in your arsenal. If you have a spare spool chuck on some 30lb braid and see how it goes. Your big stick will be heaps of fun on kings and Ajs but something a bit lighter will prevent a few of those Nuke Chook sangas
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

And I think drop your jig head weight most the better fish i have got are up higher, in 30m near hutchies I use 5/8 and get down fine last time at deep tempest I was using 1 1/2 and getting down.

Hmmm decisions decisions, maybe i should get rid of the combo im using and go back to a Bear S10-H with 4000 certate hyper custom. Guess i can still jig up to 60 gram jigs with the S10-H.

cheers tim

Lighter jighead - lighter leader. You should be catching fish all through the year if you are doing it right.

Tim,

personally 50lb braid? thats jigging territory, Agree with Horse, As a heavy offshore outfit, i am using a smith offshore with a certateHD 3500 with 30lbs ( smith can handle 2 oz ) and i reckon thats as heavy as you would want to go, sounds like your asking too much of one outfit...

also if your jigging at places like Square Patch I'm thinking 250gram jigs plus is about where you want to be plus bigger braid so id be looking at a dedicated jigging outfit, the Smiths are good and light.
    Tangles KFC

Alright decided im going to go back to a lighter combo

If anyones interested in a as new (used twice) 4500 Saltiga S Extreme fitted with 50lb Saltiga Hyper PE - $950 (paid $1170)

and

Egrell Bear Essentials rod (used twice) - $400 (paid over $500)

cheers tim

That's funny.
    Back to square one. I have a great combo I can do a clean swap.

tim i am only using 20lb whiplash and 30lb leader floatlining ,i think you maybe fishing a bit heavy mate..i know when i use my heavier lines my catch rate really suffers..lightest possible i recon
    cheers rosco

Quote Originally Posted by timddo View Post
    That's funny.
    Back to square one. I have a great combo I can do a clean swap.

Wouldn't be a Bear S10-H/Certate 4000 combo would it, perhaps my old combo

clean swap, now your dreaming

cheers tim

Quote Originally Posted by rosco1974 View Post
    tim i am only using 20lb whiplash and 30lb leader floatlining ,i think you maybe fishing a bit heavy mate..i know when i use my heavier lines my catch rate really suffers..lightest possible i recon
    cheers rosco

Yeah mate it's time to take a step back and start getting into more fish, i think a 4000 certate hyper custom spooled with 20lb braid with a bear s10-h will fit the bill.

cheers tim