Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone take there dog out fishing?

Anyone take there dog out fishing?

The Mrs had taken the dog out for a walk the other day when I suddenly decided to go fishing. I found I couldn't go until the dog got back. Never really thought about it before but I don't like going fishing without the mutt when I'm on my own.

Its not such a big thing when I'm taking mates out as she gets in the way. Chases fish, eats the bait as soon as you're not looking, has had a few hooks stuck in the hair from time to time. Loves sharks and seals the most. Tries to eat every fish I catch. Loves beer so isn't much different to my other mates anyway. I'm talking about the dog btw.

So anyone else take their dog fishing?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Anyone take there dog out fishing?

We take one of our staffies with us fishing. The first few times she was REALLY into the bait when being cast... Almost to the point of following it over the side. I haven't taken her out with me on my own, but I know she'd be fine if I was to do so. She sits by my feet when we're moving, or in my partners arms. In the beginning we always had a harness on her (car harness) so if the worst happens, she's easy to pluck out of the water. But now she's a seasoned veteran and just has her spot up the front of the boat... 90% of the time she's sleeping, and even if I bring in a fish, she's not that interested anymore. I think it's the breed though, they're just happy to be around us and happy to sleep all day.

If I took my mate out with me for a fish I'd need a barge so no he doesn't come out.

Pure bred Bull Mastiff started out like this Copy of IMGP0978.jpg and grew into this il.jpg
    Cheers Axl

bull fishing.jpg

My mastif

A great thread, JJ! This will prove to be one of the most popular threads on Ausfish, I reckon.

What is her preference in reels? Is she an egg-beater dog, and overhead type dog or some thing more sensible, like an Alvey type dog?

Of course, if she were the latter, she would be an alveysation breed.

I take my staffy out on the kayak, we get a few laughs haha

love the mastiffs.

Lockyer goes all over the place with me.Hes better company than most humans and just loves the boat.
    He loves pelicans as well.

ute 013.jpg

Toddy

I took my border collie with me when i first went bass fishing, the last time i took him he chased a snake so decided never to take him again.

Cheers,
    Jack

Great thread JJ. Our dog has been gone a two years now and I miss her when ever I fish from the beach, she would love to swim in pumistone passage and was always where I wanted to throw the cast net. In the surf whenever I cast the rod she would try and follow the bait into the water and chase the seagulls and pelicans all the time. She never got into the bait for which I am thankfull but there were a copule of times she come close to being impaled during casting. She never liked the outboard so could never get her on either the big boat or the tinnie.

My neighbours two silky terriers come out with us crabbing and love the water and are never a problem altyhough one of them does like to cock his leg occassionally.

I think that the dogs are better company than even the missus sometimes, they never complain about it being to hot or too cold, the fish aren't biting or they are hungry, they just enjoy the moment. God I wish there a few people who could learn from them. If we weren't travelling so much of late I would get another mutt like her (the dog not the missus).

Quote Originally Posted by charleville View Post

What is her preference in reels? Is she an egg-beater dog, and overhead type dog or some thing more sensible, like an Alvey type dog?

She doesn't care less about reels or rods but is endlessly fascinated with knots,lures and hooks with bait on. She loves watching someone tie a knot and cast out. She never misses watching a cast or a retreive and if theres a fish on the end look out. She goes into hyperdrive, she's been stung on the tongue by flathead spines and never noticed it.

Although she is very faithful she will jump into anyone's boat and take off with them without a thought. She jumped from the pontoon once when the boat was swinging out and she thought she would be left behind. She missed and kept swimming for the boat. I had to fish her out with the landing net.

She used to like spear fishing and would ride on my back while I was snorkling. I would dive down and she would wait around to climb back on. I stopped doing that with her when someone mentioned something about shark bait.

Whenever I catch a small shark she'll lick it all over, especially the head and eyes before I'm allowed to let it go. Don't know what the shark thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrah Jack View Post
    She used to like spear fishing and would ride on my back while I was snorkling. I would dive down and she would wait around to climb back on. I stopped doing that with her when someone mentioned something about shark bait.

Was she pointing you out for the sharks?

405226_10150477359181448_682601447_8952697_504812022_n.jpg

Another pic of my boy at the Spit. He loves the beach. Soon as he's off his leash he's running along the waters edge chasing bait fish. Ears up nose down searching all the time. Funny to see as he's too slow hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by UB SOUTHY View Post
    405226_10150477359181448_682601447_8952697_504812022_n.jpg

Another pic of my boy at the Spit. He loves the beach. Soon as he's off his leash he's running along the waters edge chasing bait fish. Ears up nose down searching all the time. Funny to see as he's too slow hahaha

I really like that pic.Its all about spending time the the master(best mate).

Toddy

Our two small dogs love hitting the river, where they can jump out & hit the sand banks & have a dump & run, but not so big on crossing Noosa bar.
    Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images