Thread: Fraser Island at Easter

Fraser Island at Easter

G'day all!
    Has anybody been to Fraser Island at Easter time before? I am thinking of heading up there this Easter and beach camping for a few days, and am just wondering if it would be worth it, or whether it would be a mad house? I fully expect to line up for the barge and the roads to be choccas full of clowns, but I really want to get away for the few days over Easter.
    Any advice or experiences would be appreciated. Or if you could recommend an alternative destination for camping a few days that would be great too!
    Cheers!
    Lunatic
    "Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore." -- André Gide

Re: Fraser Island at Easter

It depends on the weather as to the amount of people. Most people stay south up to Happy Valley.
    I have been going up at easter for 2 weeks for about 10 yrs now, we go north of dunduburra. On average it is usually quiet with only half a dozen campers over the 4 day break, no one after that but us. Weather is usually blowing out of the South East with Showers or rain, Think we have had 1 fine year.
    If you are going inland to the sites then either do it really early or late otherwise you will get no parking close to anything, and the tourist busses / backpackers who cannot drive if they tried , are a pain

cheers

Cheers Hakuna,
    We usually camp just north of the Cathedral Beach and have been able to get a spot no worries around Christmas, and during the September school holidays but have never ventured up there during Easter. I reckon after reading your report I will have a go at it. Cheers mate!
    "Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore." -- André Gide

Easter will be fine. It is too short a break for most Family Holidays and it usually rains at Easter anyway.... sorry.

I did a quick visit a couple of weeks ago and all tracks are good.

There was a few snakes about though, but as it cools, they'll hide again.

Dingos from Hook Point to Indian Head.

Plenty of Pipi's around the Catherdal Beach area.......... and further south.

You can get Camping permit, Vehicle permit and Barge ticket from the same place now, on the way into Rainbow on the Left Hand Side... Mantra Ray....

I am heading up in June................ a tad cooler then, less people and better weather.. I am camping way north at Ocean Lake...... far removed from the hordes

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Thanks Lucky Phil for your comprehensive post!
    I have always headed up either September or during the summer holidays. My wife is a primary school teacher so I have always got to head up during the holidays. I would not mind heading up is the cooler months to see what it is like and to beat the crowds. I could not think of Fraser being anything but beautiful, even if it was a bit cooler!
    Cheers boys for the comments!
    Cheers,
    Lunatic

The cooler months are the go.

Marsh flies are gone.

Seas flat.

T-shirt and stubbies by day

Trackie dacks and Sweat shirt by night

toes heated by the camp fire and GGW going down nicely.

have fun

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Phil dont you mean toes warmed by the Dolphin Torch or do they allow fires anywhere again ,not just in the communal rings?
    Mick
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..