Thread: Cleaning table Whinge

Cleaning table Whinge

Wanted to clean a fish on the Ramp Tables at boat passage yesterday, dont do this often as firstly i dont often catch fish and second the ones i do get are usually small and i knock the fillets off at home, anyway wanted to gut and scale a nice little snapper, tables were disgusting, baked on guts and blood, why are some fishermen such pigs, how hard is it to brush/ wash off the table when finished? had to get the pump pack i use to spray down the trailer and boat and scrub the whole thing off. sometimes i get the feeling that fishos have a bit of a community like bike riders etc but i think that just comes from being part of this forum where guys are more than willing to help out each other etc, sadly though there seems to be a lot of idiots out there fishing as well, who leave a mess, steal crabs and pots and want to park right on top of you when it looks like you might have caught a fish, "to many clowns, not enough circuses"

Re: Cleaning table Whinge

My pet hate is the clowns who must throw all their offal including big fish frames right beside the ramp at Bongaree. My wife and I use this ramp a lot and it is quite dangerous to be pulling a boat around in this water dodging large spike on fish frames.

If you must show off to your mates and the general public about the large fish you have caught why don't you nail them to the back of your boat so you can show them off along the highway going home.

Get a much better coverage, possibly a T.V. spot.

Idiots are every where.

Haji-Baba

Had a croc watching us the other night at the Barron River boat ramp. A bloke came in and cleaned his fish right on the pontoon with the croc watching. And people wonder why the crocs hang around there.

That's the problem at Bribie with all the crocks now coming down the coast you never know when one will turn up at the ramp, maybe he is already there lurking in the mangroves on the other side of the Passage.

It could happen, safety first fellow fisherpersons please.

Haji-Baba

Personally I rarely clean my fish at the ramp. I'll come home, clean them and then drive down in the afternoon etc and feed the pelicans. Of the few times I have cleaned them, I've always left it how I found it, which is usually clean and tidy. Wash away any scraps/blood/scales as best you can as usually I don't have "cleaning" equipment with me.. Duh, I'm fishing!!

What gives me the shits is the massive catches of reef fish dumped at the boat ramp which nothing is going to eat in a short period and only stinks up the place.

I dont clean my fish at the ramp, as all the frames (if I get any) are either kept hole for crab bait or put through my hand mincer for burley. But it is shame to here that some people can't be bothered to clean up after themselves, bloody lazy I recon.
    Cheers Axl

I do the same as you Axl. All my left overs go in the freezer then reused for burley. Do have to be quick when im in my yard as the dog will and has eaten many fish frames. So far that I know of he's eaten 2 Pearlies, 1 snapper, 4 sweetlip oh and a packet of soft plastics!!!! just the sp's not the plastic packet.

Not the best place to do it but a crab pot beside the ramp might be productive???

Quote Originally Posted by UB SOUTHY View Post
    Do have to be quick when im in my yard as the dog will and has eaten many fish frames. So far that I know of he's eaten 2 Pearlies, 1 snapper, 4 sweetlip oh and a packet of soft plastics!!!! just the sp's not the plastic packet.
    Reminds me when I came back from chasing winter whiting... Had 100 fish and my partner rings up and asks if I can bring some heads and frames home for the dogs. (4 staffies at the time) So I bring home all 100... I show her the bag as I walk in (she's on phone) and gives me the thumbs up.. So I feed them to the dogs.. ALL 100!!!!

Needless to say I was picking up whole vomited whiting not long after. lol They enjoyed it at least!! One dog didn't throw up, he knew how good and rare it was to get a feed like this so he held on! (Champion effort)

bull fishing.jpg

waiting for a feed.

Sorry to get off topic

I occasionaly clean at the ramp but make sure the pelicans are around to scoff the frames down otherwise take them home and bury them. My father in Law (when he was alive) had the best rose garden I have ever seen, the roses flowered all year round and it was all due to the fish frames, burying them around the rose bushes was his one and only knowledge about gardening.

Same problem though, have to clean the table first but always leave it cleaned better than I found it. It's not hard considering the ffort going into catching the fish. There are a couple of tables where the authorities have installed them but given any thought to the excess scales etc that gets washed down the hole at the end. They just need to run a bit of stormn water pipe into the water and let the fish and the tide do the job instead of the flies and the smell that is the end result.
    Last edited by Dignity; 11-03-2012 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Forgot the reason for the thread

I wont use the cleaning tables at Noosa boat ramp as local ferals get up on them & do a dump!. Smelt it one day & knew something was wrong big time. Spoke to a mate in council & he said its not just the cleaning tables they defacate on, they also dump on the public barbeques & council cleans them all down every Friday with heavy cleaning agents. Feel a bit queasy every time I see the family bbq"s happening!
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    I wont use the cleaning tables at Noosa boat ramp as local ferals get up on them & do a dump!. Smelt it one day & knew something was wrong big time. Spoke to a mate in council & he said its not just the cleaning tables they defacate on, they also dump on the public barbeques & council cleans them all down every Friday with heavy cleaning agents. Feel a bit queasy every time I see the family bbq"s happening!
    Tony
    What is wrong with people these days?????? Catch someone doing that and you'd wana have your U-B stck with you!! Just spent a week in Noosa, loved it. Im glad I didn't use any of the public BBQ's and cleaning tables. Thanks for the heads up.

They are not too bad at ballina with the cleaning tables but they do have plastic hose on the tap nozzles for easier table cleaning but the weedpeople are always cutting off the hose for their own use.

I wont use the public BBQ's here either for the same hygiene issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Tony
    I hope you are talking about Feral Cats not people

Crisp Bee,
    I wish I was mate, but no, humans, if they can be called that. I filleted 4 spotties one day & my wife came up & said there was a terrible smell there. I have no sense of smell so I couldn't pick up on it. Junas sense of smell & taste is so accurate she tells chefs at restaurants what the ingredients are, as she is a stunning cook as well. Well, she pulled the fillets apart & forced me to dump them, as they were tainted with faeces. Worst part is I gave some fillets to a couple of European tourists who had never seen fish like them before. Hope they were OK??
    Tony