Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sustenance (food and drink) for fishing

Re: Sustenance (food and drink) for fishing

I'm with Dan. Can't believe there are so many smokers left. When I smoked water, smokes and cpl packets of chips was plenty. But since I have given up smoking 12 mths ago I take cold snag sandwiches, chips and Gatorade at least

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Ronnie H View Post
    Hi
    You guys need to think seriously. V drinks, coke, chips. You know there is over 12 teaspoons of sugar in one can of coke.

Whats wrong with making a couple of sandwiches the night before-- Ham, cheese, even vegemite would be better than all that junk you fella's are living on.

The night before we go i always make a sanger or two, have the flasks ready for the hot water. I only drink tea, Hubby takes a couple of beers and we always have plenty of cold water. Take a bickie or two to have with the cuppa but thats it.

Ronnie
    LOL Mrs H..too much suger in white bread and vegemite..plus the labour and time content to make. Easier just to grab the other goodies straight off the shelf..ready to go. No time to waste when going fishing.

For a full day on the water I have my rolled oats prior to going regardless of the early morning hour and a coffee.
    I pack one thigh pocket full of muesli bars and the other with a packet of lollies like werthers originals or similar.
    I pack one litre of water in the open and let it be whatever the temp of the day is.......reason for that is iced water is moorish and lasts no time, day temp water will slake a thirst with about 1/4 of the amount compared to iced water. I take iced water or coke that is chilled and only drink that when i am eating.
    For a main meal in my boat I always have the smoker on board and most full days sees me smoking a fresh fish or crab on the bank or on the alloy deck over the anchor well.

The hardest thing of all though is to be on the water without gum or something because after 25yrs as a smoker I developed habit smokes when fishing and even though its now over a decade since i gave them away, that urge still resides in me.

My boat also has an emergency supply of tinned peaches and tinned spaghetti just in case.

I always have some form of lollies on the water and i usually preserve the majority for the drive home because I have come across two ppl so far (one in my boat and one other at a place I was fishing at) that were diabetics and went on a big low, both times lucky I had something to give them to bring them around. Lots of ppl are not diagnosed to have diabetes.
    Jack.

I rarely take food. Sometimes I'm so keen I don't even bother with breakfast then I get out there and think I should've eaten something. Once the fish start biting its all forgotten.

A few of my mates like to start drinking straight away and snapper season that means about 4am. Not me, I prefer to wait until a bit later. One mate likes his home brew and brings a special 5ltr container of it with its own little gas supply. Its always finished off but not by me 'cause I'm a sensible skipper.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Seaweed View Post
    Muddy Toes???????? I believe the skipper of White Rhino requested this as staples on boat a long time ago Bruce "alzimers" Tropicrows!

Marty...sold out by his crew
    Top idea that pizza hey Bruce.......I can't believe I came up with that all on my own, a stroke of brilliance if I do say so myself

Gourmet food for me ....... specially when we do our big trips up north Rolls with tandoori chicken , avocado , tomato & sometimes coleslaw. We started buying whole leg ham for ham and salad rolls.
    Usually the deckie has the job of making them up ....... washed down with an icy cold beer - a day out becomes very civil .
    In the cooler months - a thermos of coffee is usually taken along with a pkt of dark chocolate tim tams or mini cherry ripes It's funny how some deckies laugh - till they have some .
    Finally - i've been out a few times where a burner is dragged out and snags are cooked up and even bacon and egg rolls.

No ..... for me , a big day out on the water needs a good feed - specially if some of these days turn out to be 14-16 hours

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post
    Top idea that pizza hey Bruce.......I can't believe I came up with that all on my own, a stroke of brilliance if I do say so myself
    \Dont laugh .... a mate and I discussed having pizza delivered when we were having a late night jewie fish in the Brissy River last winter = I reckon it could be a goer this year

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

What's the deal with frankfurts? Can you cook them in a thermos with water below boiling point?

If I'm not skipper add copious amounts of beer to my list. The last time I was crew we had two cartons of Coopers Pale ale for a Sailfish trip off Broome for us three crew. We were pretty lit up by 2pm. Prob not the best idea in hindsight especially when you hit the beach at low tide (6pm that day) and try to get the boat back on the trailer off the beach. Managed that somehow but others were having trouble and we were next to useless. Good day.

In a 15' centre console - there is usually not much room to eat 5 star - so we take apples, muesli bars packet of corner chips or shapes of some sort. Sometimes a packet of lollies if there is something on special at the servo.
    For drinks - frozen water; Ginger beer; fruit juice (also frozen)

Often stop at Maccas on the way back - in summer - for something nice and cold - in winter - something hot.

Mark

I have to ask..what do you blokes and ladies eat during a normal work day?
    A typical day for me is 2 or 3 coffees between 3am and 5am with equivalent number of smokes..then nothing until dinner..occassionally grab something on the run during the day but not often.

My new workers has a cigerette

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyCoastMark View Post
    In a 15' centre console - there is usually not much room to eat 5 star - so we take apples, muesli bars packet of corner chips or shapes of some sort. Sometimes a packet of lollies if there is something on special at the servo.
    For drinks - frozen water; Ginger beer; fruit juice (also frozen)

Often stop at Maccas on the way back - in summer - for something nice and cold - in winter - something hot.

Mark
    Mark.. Mark.. Mark = a ship load of room - we have had gourmet cooked food in a 12ft tinnie . we usually carry a 60lt esky which has enough room for a 5lt clip it storage box filled with all the things we need for a good feed - except the bread or rolls.
    During the quiet times ..... making and eating a nice feed just about guarantees a fish on

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by timddo View Post
    My new workers has a cigerette

Engrish please tim

For me a short trip is a snickers bar, cheese & onion smiths, a couple cans of coke and the pack of smokes. for extended trips i also add a couple of chicken and mayo rolls, more coke, an extra pack of ciggies and maybe a beer or few. If I'm not the skipper the beers increase..

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Ronnie H View Post
    Hi
    You guys need to think seriously. V drinks, coke, chips. You know there is over 12 teaspoons of sugar in one can of coke.

Whats wrong with making a couple of sandwiches the night before-- Ham, cheese, even vegemite would be better than all that junk you fella's are living on.

The night before we go i always make a sanger or two, have the flasks ready for the hot water. I only drink tea, Hubby takes a couple of beers and we always have plenty of cold water. Take a bickie or two to have with the cuppa but thats it.

Ronnie
    Oh come on Ronnie,, how much sugar is in that rocky road that you spoil us with ?