Thread: Awoonga charter

Exclamation Awoonga charter

Hey guys

A mate and inare planing our first trip to awoonga to hopefully hook a monster..

The plan was to get a guide for a day or 2 then have a go on our own.
    Can anyone recommend a good guide to help us on this mission?

Also does anyone know how it has been fishing of late?

Best month to go in?

And info would be greatly appreciated

Re: Awoonga charter

Best guide by my estimation is Jason Wilhelm. Stuffer and Manboobs went out with Jase and he was great. Good bloke also which helps. Think he's still up there but not entirely sure.
    Best month? Hard to say. Probably want to give it a few months from here to let it settle a bit but I may be wrong there. I've had most luck n Feb. I think it's been quiet for a while but others will know more. Pretty sure the Boyne below the dam is still holding the odd one, so you may get someone to take you into that country?
    Good luck. Getting that first hit by a big barra will absolutely blow your mind. Addictive!

Quote Originally Posted by Jootis View Post
    Hey guys

A mate and inare planing our first trip to awoonga to hopefully hook a monster..

The plan was to get a guide for a day or 2 then have a go on our own.
    Can anyone recommend a good guide to help us on this mission?

Also does anyone know how it has been fishing of late?

Best month to go in?

And info would be greatly appreciated
    Honestly - don't waste your time and money ......... Awoonga (& Mondy) are having a hiatus at the moment. ..... They probably wont be back to their big fish days for several years. ( the vast majority of big fish have left the dams & what is left are the small fish (40-70cm) that were stocked during the flood period and just after) ......
    Most of the guides have left with the fish .... and are either doing other things or a chartering in the salt.
    Now - having said that ...... you could still head up to Gladstone & use Johnny Mitchell (www.fishawoonga.com.au) for a charter in the salt - The guy knows the place intimately & you'll stand a very good chance of catching that trophy fish (barra) .... . not to mention learning a bit too

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Johnny Mitchell is your man.
    Great guide and good company.
    And as stated above, he's willing to take you where the fish are (not just the lake)
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Thanks for the info guys. Will get in contact with Johnny mitchell and have a crack.

dont botther mate, i live and fish the dam since the big floods,and the dam went over the spillway most of the barra went over to ther are still fish but with the abundance of food in the dam the fish are content, very hard to get a fish,