Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats the go on Stickbaits?

Re: Whats the go on Stickbaits?

Thats what I thought from looking at the lures themselves. There seems little justification for the masive price discrepancy
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Here's a little vid I made up a while back. The lure that gets it's guts ripped out is a Carpenter

You can buy a lot of plastics (which trout love) for less dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by reggy View Post
    You can buy a lot of plastics (which trout love) for less dollars.
    I have a fair collection of big plastics that will be going for a swim
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    I have a fair collection of big plastics that will be going for a swim
    sounds like fun mate. im even going to use some of my HD nearly discontnued barra and bibless lures as stick baits to save money myself when i go in July. i will probably lose them eventually. I will only be stickbait fishing for 10% of the time anyway i think.

looking forward to seeing how you went.

cheers

As for the remark that the link between hook points and tow points are plate metal, that would probably lower the cost of manufacture rather than increase it. Laser cutting is remarkably cheap when you do large numbers at a time. There is zero jigging up for bending wires etc, simply load the drawings into the program and hit start. I get tonnes of stuff laser cut regularly, most days sees an order placed.
    Jack.

http://www.nomadtackle.ashop.com.au/...--sinking.html

These I find are great around reef edges, you pick up trout, trevally, strippeys any thing that are about will have a crack, they are weighted to so you can cast them a fair way and you can count them down to sink off a drop off, or run them across the surface if you want, they are one of my favourite hard bodied reef lures, but buy a few as they get smashed off a fair bit.

As other have said, there are many different stickbaits out there - floating, sinking, big, small and so on. Some have a really aggressive walk the dog (side to side darting) action, while others have more of a lazy roll. For trout, I would be looking at mid-size stickbaits in the 40-100g range unless you live somewhere that has dinosaur size trout available. Some of the larger Japanese stickbaits are very highly priced and these would not really be my go-to for throwing into a trout bommie, especially not with sporting tackle. On the other hand, many of the worlds largest GT's have fallen to lures like the Carpenter Gammas, particularly in highly pressured areas of southern Japan. Carpenter is also one of the most popular lures for collectors of fine tackle - Kenji Konishi of Carpenter is considered to be one of the 'inventors' of modern GT fishing and as such his lures command a high price.
    Some good lures to look at for the trout would be the Marias - they're excellent quality, have sinking and floating models and come with decent hooks.
    Cheers
    Duncan