Thread: How to deal with Turtles?

How to deal with Turtles?

Hello All,

Today a Turtle decided it would eat my squid. Unbeknown to him, it had a hook in it.

I was bottom bashing in about 25 Metres and it took me a minute or so for it to breach the surface.

I slowly worked him back in which took me about 5 minutes, but I was worried about wearing him out and harming it. However, I wanted to get my hook out.

Should I have done this? Or, should I have cut the line so it doesn't get distressed?

Here's a picture of my mate untangling the line from his back legs.

20120303_091505.jpg

Re: How to deal with Turtles?

Well done Zippidy I think you did the right thing better to help than to leave him/her tangled, I dont think you would have stressed him/her to much.
    Cheers Axl

Quote Originally Posted by Axl View Post
    Well done Zippidy I think you did the right thing better to help than to leave him/her tangled, I dont think you would have stressed him/her to much.
    I definitely don;t have any knowledge of the right thing to do but in the circumstances I thing you did the right thing, if in doubt do your best...sounds like you did. Lucky it was only a little on though!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, lucky it wasn't any bigger; it gave an awesome enough fight as it was. For the 1st minute or so I thought I was onto something special :-(

Def did the right thing mate
    Haines Hunter V17r

zippidy .....that is a special catch mate not many people can say they caught a turtle.. lol... you did the right thing mate better to retrieve as much line as possible in any case
    cheers mick
    ...........GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO BAIT.........