Thread: Boating and Fishing the world over, how's it done differently?

Boating and Fishing the world over, how's it done differently?

G'day,

The recent thread about "Dream Trips" got me thinking about my amazing yet so far limited experience overseas.

It fascinates me how things are differently overseas, with the same result essentially.
    Leave in boat, Go fishing, Catch fish, Return in boat... pretty simple really.

I'd like to keep this thread to photos and stories of how other people/cultures go about what we do. How do they fish? What do they go to sea in?

I'll put up a few of my own pics to start it off.

Dave

Re: Boating and Fishing the world over, how's it done differently?

These two shows the way the islanders slip the boats on Ilha Grande (Big Island), Brazil
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Boating and Fishing the world over, how's it done differently?

G'day.

These are a mix of Peru, mostly in Iquitos, the Amazon.

The timber planked longboats/canoes they use there are about 40' long, usually powered by Yamaha enduro outboards no more than 25hp. Either that or longtails.

Almost everything there is simple Yamaha, Merc is only really used for the racing and Suzuki is starting to appear as you can see by one of their dealerships there.

The fishing? the little catfish was the first fish I caught in the Amazon... bloody monster! Ended up being bait for the Piranha.

The huge fish you see are about 60kg and 1.2M, simply awe inspiring, they're Arapaima, which grow to 2M and 100kg. Pretty impressive for a river system.

I thought the lopsided horsepower was pretty funny, this was down in Ica by the Ballestas Islands a bout 4 hrs drive south of Lima.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images