Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For the deeper water

For the deeper water

Hey all, am wanting to put together a rod for something a bit more deep water botoom bashing. I would like it to be an overhead rig for dropping over the side and large enough to land cobia, snapper, sharks etc. Don't really know what size rod or reel.....thats where you guys come in..........I just wanna have something on board that could smash most of anything big. Would like to stay in the $400 price bracket as a combo, also recommend braid size and brand (I quite like the idea of the multicolour braid for deeper water but so many brands dont know where to start, have mostly used power pro)

Re: For the deeper water

Hi

By deep what do you mean? 70 or 150m? You have mentioned some very different species there, 30lb (15kg) will knock over any snapper, but sharks etc are a different proposition. However in saying that I pulled up a 6' bronzie from 45m a couple of weeks ago on 30lb

TLD25 with a 15-24kg live fibre on 50~80lb braid for my money.

Little bit more info could open up other rigs.

Cheers

Bill

Question Re: For the deeper water

Lever drag reel in the 15-25 size 30-50 lb braid on a reasonable 15/24 kg stick, should deal with most, as VC said bit more detail will help...

Ok, maybe shark was a bad choice, bit more info..............I just wanna have something on board that if a throw a nice big livie over the side in deep water (only really fish the bay but I imagine I will get outside at some stage as well) and if I hook a big tuna, mac, cobia or whatever I've got the stopping power to cover it. I was thinking somewhere in the 80lb region but would listen to any advice particularly on specific brand of rod, reel and braid.

Was that 80lb line or 80lb fish? I have to say that even though I am not a fan of over heads for all round fishing... Vitamin Sea's advice is pretty good. I think that if you are going to use decent leaders, 40lb braid should be plenty. Though for me, with $400 budget, I would go the heaviest Live fibre rod/ Shimano bait runner combo I could get with those dollars. If the drag on the bait runner wasn't up to speed, just upgrade the washers etc.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Hi, my choices for deepish water bottom bashing would be preferably a 2 speed reel in the 20 to 50 series overheads, but single speed works as well, reels such as the TLD 30s, Saltists 30 and their higher capacity models. My personal preferance are for the Tyrnos and Saltist models rather than the TLD's. What I wouldn't buy are the really cheap Ebay models, stick with the brand names and you wont go wrong (usually).

In this size range there are a stack of models to choose from and not just in Daiwa or Shimano brands, pretty much all of them will do the job, however it depends on your definition of deep! If for example you want to fish in 200 meters of water than I wouldn't use a reel that only holds about 300 meters of line, I would go to a reel that holds at least double to triple the water depth of line.

Next, if you want to do high speed jigging then the Saltist have some vey high speed models available but the high speed ratios will work against you if you want to skull drag a large fish from the depths. So unfortunately its the right reel for the right job.

Regarding line you generally either go for mono or braid and there are some pro's and con's for both.

Braid.

Pros. 60% thinner so 3 times the line capacity on the same size reel, very little stretch so you can feel bites much easier in deep water,
    Cons: Knots are much harder to do a good knot, doesn't stretch as much so bust off's are more common on higher drag settings

Mono

Pros: heaps of stretch so much harder to bust off, easier to tie knots, damage to line can easily be seen

Cons: thicker so less line capacity, no where near as sensitive in deeper water, has to be replaced more often

My comparison between Mono and Braid is like comparing a rubber band to a cotton thread, the rubber band will stretch and bounce back continuosly but will also stretch a bit before you can feel tension, the braid has very limited give so while you can feel instant tension when a fish bite, if a large fish surges then your drag will have to work very well or the line wil snap before you can back off, that is if you have a heavy drag on at the time.

I use a mixture of both depending on the situation.

As for rods I like a rod that is a line class heavier than I use such as 24kg rod for 15kg line, but if if I use 80lb-100lb then a 34kg stick will be more than adequate, I build most of my rods as I don't like the majority of store bought ones, but having said that I have just bought some cheap and nasty roller rods on Ebay as I don't have time at the moment to build some, these ones cost about $50 each and the custom made jobs will cost about $350 and the time that it takes me make them. Custom made ones are so much better but the cruddy ebay ones should still do till I get more time to make some.

In the end, most reels and rods are a bit like comparing Ford, Holdens against Ferraris Porche's ect. In the end all of them will get you there but some are much nicer and better built than others, however most of them will do the job for a while. For around $400 you should get a nice outfit to suit your fishing.

Just don't get the PowerPro braid if you are buying off Ebay unless it comes from a large store the states, there are a lot of knock offs out there and the braid is crap, ask me how I know??

Hope this helps

Cheers

Ed.

As mentioned previously the good old TLD 25/7' Livefibre 15-24kg is a pretty good standby in that price range
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Love ya work fellaz!

TLD's seem to be getting a good wrap and from what I've researched have been doin the job for a while, think I'll look into the live fibres a bit more. What brand braid would you recommend?

15 to 24 kg live fibre and a 6/0 penn reel a bloody cracker of a set up have pulled up 7 ft cobia with this rig running 50 lb mono shogun I just cant seem to get my feel for braid

If you are fishing less than 80m don't discount good mono. Its better suited to floatlining and trolling. I have gone back to it on a few of my outfits after years of braid. As for braids I mainly use Power Pro bought online from the states but most of the well known brands are fine. Get a woven braid rather than a fused one like Fireline in that sort of breaking strain
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    If you are fishing less than 80m don't discount good mono. Its better suited to floatlining and trolling. I have gone back to it on a few of my outfits after years of braid. As for braids I mainly use Power Pro bought online from the states but most of the well known brands are fine. Get a woven braid rather than a fused one like Fireline in that sort of breaking strain

Horse what would you class as "good mono" for this type of application?
    Cheers Axl

If you get a tld get rid of the original handle and get a cheap t-bar handle off us ebay, turns it into a reel.
    imo Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Axl View Post
    Horse what would you class as "good mono" for this type of application?
    I'm using Patypus Pink Lo stretch at the moment but Momoi, Trilene and Maxima are all good.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by grave41 View Post
    If you get a tld get rid of the original handle and get a cheap t-bar handle off us ebay, turns it into a reel.
    imo Graham
    You can also source a Tyrnos 14 handle as it fits straight on and feels much better IMHO. Get it directly from Dunphy Sports and you need the nut and retaining screw to go with it. All up atround $60 which may break your budget or alternativly look at a Tyrnos in the first place but they are heavier
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Ok the TLD25 it is with a 24kg live fibre........what do you think about this braid for it???? Too big??? go for the 50lb??

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SHIMANO-P...c46be622#payId

It's not a USA seller, it's here in Oz, is that a problem in terms of quality??