Thread: Maroon Saturday Session..

Maroon Saturday Session..

Headed out to Maroon Dam yesterday with mate LeeLee for a avro session. I thought it would be a wet day but as I got to Boonah the sun pop it head out. It stayed like this all avro with most the rain going around the Dam. We got on the water just after 1pm & headed to the back of the dam to the sticks where we got small bass to start. As we got there we noticed a fishing club having some type of comp & thought that it has been hammered down back here so we made a move. This paid off with a couple of 30cm bass hitting the deck of the boat. We made another move after it got alittle quiet to a point with nice weedy edge & pulled a couple more bass but this was upset with a guy launching his boat straight through where were fishing so another move was made. We hit a flooded bank & pulled a couple more there. We watched bugs get smashed off the surface just up from where we were fishing but were unable to get any interest in our lures so we decided move to nice lily padded lined bank. This seamed to be a good move as bass started to come more frequent with Lee getting a nice 36cm model off the surface which bricked him down in the weed but with alittle nudge of the landing net came free & was boated. I also got bricked into the weed rolling a blade but was able to get 34cm bass out. We both decided to throw surface until the sun set due watching surface strikes every couple minutes around us & this would lead to my best surface strike ever since I have been fishing. I was using my light bream gear a 203 Samurai rod/2000 luvias spooled with 3lb main line & 10lb leader throwing dog-x jr in copper when this amazing surface strike happened & got my heart racing!! I thought omg he we go!! I was able to land this fat 36cm model as i was lucky he missed the weed & ran into clean water.

This top off a great day on the water with easy over dozen bass being caught & just have easy relaxing day with my mate Lee. I know I learnt to be persistent with weed as I got results today & that being my best day on the dam with 2 fish bag & some good upgrades..

Thanks again for the company LeeLee..
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maroon 03.12.2.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	77546  

Re: Maroon Saturday Session..

Very Nice! Surface fishing is just way too addictive!

We were there on Sunday and had very similar results. We ended up with around 20 bass, all on spinnerbaits. We did not throw much surface, but it sounds as if we need to give the surface a better crack next time!
    Keep smiling, It makes people wonder what you're up to.

NIce work. REading that gets me more motivated to hit Maroon dam.
    Crumbo were you fishing off a boat???
    Would landbased fishing yield good results?

Brad we were in a boat.

You still may be able to get some fish from the shore. A couple of the fish we got hit right next to boat as well and there is good structure out from the shoreline as well in many areas of the dam.
    Keep smiling, It makes people wonder what you're up to.

Good stuff, I'm always hearing good reports about it but have never been out there. I'll have to check out for myself soon. Come easter holidays i'll be on a fishing/camping trip there CAN'T WAIT!!!!