Thread: Pumicestone Passage (Caloundra end) 3rd March

Blog Entries

Pumicestone Passage (Caloundra end) 3rd March

Sorry this is a bit long but I cant get out for a fish so might as well ramble on a bit

My kayaks had arrived from the USA giving me the opportunity to broaden my horizons and I was itching to get out for a paddle and work things out so I got up at 3am and was paddling off of Golden Beach up near the Barber by the Sea. I threw a lure out the back for a troll and paddled with the incoming tide towards my flattie spot at Diamond head. I had paddled about a 100 mtrs and there were fish busting up everywhere so I stopped paddling and started to wind in the HB lure I was trolling. When it got to be about 10 mtrs from the Yak I felt a good hit but no hook up. I cast straight back out from whence it came and immediately felt another solid bump but no hook up. This carried on for another 10 mins. They just wouldn't bite the bluddy thing .

Bugger this, I'm off. Started paddling with the Lure out the back again. Had a repeat perfomance of the bust up cast and bump routine 2 more times on the way to the 3 beacons for a similar result.

I arrived down at the beacons, deployed my sea anchor (Read house brick wrapped in the leg of an old pair of trakky daks ). Tied on a Gulp Minnow 4 inch in Smelt, sat back and started casting into my spot. Once again, felt thumps and bumps and what seemed to be short sharp tugs but still no real hook ups. Do fish get tentative at times??? Anyway, just as the light was starting to glow on the horizon I felt that thud....... count.......... wait...... strike and yes! I was on, felt like a very solid fish, couple of the tell tale thumps of the flatty shake and then she just went with the current. I was using 10lb braid. I had down sized from 15lb to 12 lb Flouro leader and it was holding up well. The closer I got the fish to the yak the more convinced I was that this was a big flatty. I had it right up to the Yak, looked nice and long (would be in the 60cm range for sure) and then a head shake and gornnnnnn............ BLUDDY!!!!!! It had been too long since I'd caught a good fish to loose one that close..... Oh well, cast back in and not much for another hour cept the occasional tap tap of what must be small bream.

Ok I thought what we gonna do? Hmmmmm...... there's Bribie over there, how many times have you stood here watching tinnies and Yak go cruising out to "greener pasture" and wanted to get out there? So in came the anchor (Gotta get a winch) and paddled over to Bribie as the tide changed to run out. This would get me home a little easier.

Got over to the Bribie side and started trolling along the shoreline near the mangroves and found that there is weed over there, a LOT of weed. So I would paddle 100 or so mtrs and try again, nup, weed, paddle, try again, weed, paddle.

This kept up until I got down near the shoals. I was using a 4 inch Gulp Minnow in some chicken flavour when I felt a little bump...pause....whack. Yep we're on. Nothing to write home about (But it appears I am). Little flattie at around 35cms. Off we went again drifting with the current and got another flattie about the same size. By now the power squadron were out and about so I contemplated heading in. Pulled up onto a beautiful little beach and allowed my numb butt to get some feeling back in it. As I was getting out of the yak I whacked the rod which resulted in the bale arm of my reel breaking. Stuff it, I buggered around with it and managed to work out how I could still troll with it and paddled in.

No keepers (Girls were not impressed), but a great morning. Have some ideas on how to make trip a little more comfy and ergonomic for next time.

Oh and I went out at 1:30am this morning to be greeted by a 30 knot easterly.. Was back in bed at 4am after giving it a shot for not a touch.

Here is the path I paddled and a sunrise shot for Chaz and Clarry
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The 1st paddle.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	77536Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR0252.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	77535

May get out this arvo if the wind dies a bit.
    Last edited by Funchy; 04-03-2012 at 10:42 AM. Reason: speling

Re: Pumicestone Passage (Caloundra end) 3rd March

good post funchy,sounds like you enjoyed your yak session,maybe next time hey.

Good bit of exercise there Funchy

I'd have been a bit frustrated by the mystery fish adn definitely by the one you lost sooo close, but that is always better than no action at all!
    AND of course a beautiful sunrise always adds to the day

Thanks for the post, it was a good read. More rain coming unfortunately, som more fresh grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Awesome funchy well done on getting out on the yak, very jealous...lol You'll get that flatty next time mate they are always around and looking around lots of sign aswell...keep up the post mate.

Cheers
    Billy

I was out there to in my blue yak, you weren't by chance in a yellow yak.
    I fished with soft plastics but no fish. Did notice that someone had killed 3 sting rays and left them on the bank to rot near the no dog sign on Bribie Island Golden beach side and the smell the next arvo was pretty bad. The water was pretty good, nearly clear. Looks like the rain is now on us once again. 1 thing that has annoyed me with yak fishing is the lack of respect that people in tinnies/glass boats have for you. They roar passed at more than 10 knots, within 10 meters and think nothing of it. I have a 16 foot haines and normally take it outside but when the weather is bad I go for a yak instead. When I'm in my haines I always slow down within 30 meters and to 6 knots when passing or near other boats, yak ect. So slow down if you are near someone. If I see you next time it may be posted in video form to show case your lack of respect for fellow fisho's. If you want to speed around get outside were there is no one to annoy, kill. Also saw this same boat on the passage near bells creek going over 10 knots chasing swans and just doing stupid things, I couldn't work out if they were on drugs or something. Later they came over towards me and just started fishing as if nothing was wrong. Kind of freaky. Should we be reporting these idiots. Just my two cents worth, must be the weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was a fair sort of a paddle around, covered a few K's.
    Have spent a few weekends at the Gemini apartments over the years and it is very relaxing sitting on the balcony watching the ships come and go, people fishing etc. What i did notice was, at the little jetty you would get quite a few fishers, young and old, and they would be there all day for no reward. But, just on dusk, along comes old mate with a bag over his shoulder, Alvey in hand and from the bank flicks a baited hook out 20 ft, gives it a jiggle , fish on and in the kreel. He would probably catch about 6 then off he would go. Being on the 9th floor I could not see what bait he was using but I think he was catching whiting. I have watched a young fella in a yak bobbing around that part of the channel for hours and have no luck. Have flicked a few plastics up and down that stretch of beach as well but with no luck. When you are up high looking down into the water ( when the light is right) it would appear there is no weed, rock or structure on the bottom to hold any fish.

Blog Entries

Hey waxhead. I have an el cheapo 9ft blue yak mate. I saw plenty out there. Have to agree with regards to tinnies flying out off bells creek, I fish there alot and some blokes come flying out of there at the speed of a thousand turtles. Bloody mad. They give you a nice big wave as you get swamped by their wash

Gon fishhun
    I hear ya. Old fella 3 houses down walks past with his old alvey and creel most days. I say gday but he just grunts. Gonna follow him one day