Thread: crabbing/trawler jobs in qld?

crabbing/trawler jobs in qld?

hey all

anyone have any info on jobs crabbing/trawling or something like that? (ie. great pay/sh*t hours or work)

ive got no experience but looking to make some money and am hard worker had a bit of a look on google couldnt find much if anyone has any info or tips greatly apreciated

ta
    simon g

Re: crabbing/trawler jobs in qld?

have you got any of your Qualifications done?? IE Elements of Shipboard Safety? It is a legal requirement for anyone working on a commercial vessel in QLD to have that.

If you have go down to the local Marina where the trawlers are and start asking around.

Cheers Lee

simonthomasgoodwin

Yeah, not a bad lifestyle but dont solely depend on that job to give you big dollars. I worked very hard on both prawn trawelers and dropline / longline vessels.

Its weather dependent, also you wait until end of month to get paid...All running costs such as fuel, ice, net repairs are taken out first, owner, skipper, senior decky and then deckie...thats the chain on how eevryone got paid on the boats I worked with down south. Also goes on percentages.

Like Lethal098 (Lee) said, you need to have your qualifications before hand, Elements of Shipboard Safety is one of them. I undertook Master Fisherman's Licence course when it was available a few years ago (that licence / training is no longer available to my knowledge), Gateway TAFE - Fishing / Marine studies unit was offering it at the time.

Make enquiries with the local trawler operators where you are. Some of the operators can sense if someone is keen or not, and watch out for dodgey ones, they will use and exploit you. Good luck with it

do the rounds of the trawler fleets.... Sandgate, Scarborough, Brisbane River. Call in and talk to them all, give them your info, show em you are keen and willing to learn.

You will have to do the hard yards walking but persistence usually pays off.

Mike