Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too All Keen Mulloway Anglers

Re: Too All Keen Mulloway Anglers

Mate seems like your set to catch a few Jewies with that setup, very nice.

Cheers

Dan

I prefer to actively cast and retrieve live poddy mullet in the surf gutters and just behind the outer banks for good jew. I use 8-10kg line with half a metre of 60lb jinkai leader and a small ball sinker on that leader, not the main line. Rigging the mullet is the big thing, you need to bridle it to take the weight of the fish and run a stinger just short of the tail and a octopus or fine live bait hook just under the shoulder of the bait, I run this hook along the dorsal fin not across the body and the hook point faces his nose. Hook size is about a 3/0-5/o depending on the bait size. you can have pre-made rigs ready to go in ziplock bags if you get a big bunch of grapes cuz of the wave surge, happens sometimes fishing light in the surf. Generally once you hook a jew in the surf it is as good as filletted, not easy to lose one. Keep your head and keep your cool and they soon wash in for you.
    Jack.

Tunaticer, you wouldn't have a photo of that rig you could throw up by any chance? I'm not quite getting it. Ben

Quote Originally Posted by BLOOEY View Post
    Tunaticer, you wouldn't have a photo of that rig you could throw up by any chance? I'm not quite getting it. Ben
    I simply bridle with either rubber bands or some dacron though the front of the eyes to the mainline, then throw the hooks in like the image below.
    I have a 10mm to 12mm ball sinker running on the leader only, sometimes I crimp that ball a tad to stop it sliding. Leader is knotted directly to the mainline without a swivel.

If I am rubber banding the bridle I put a small snap onto the leader by nail knotting it with some other mono to hold it in place, this can be slid along the leader as needed with a bit of force.

If your livies become deadies then rig similar except place the hooks in from underneath and place heavy splitshots under the chin to get a keel happening. Livies in good nick do not spin.

You want to be taking up slack more than pulling the bait through the water, if the livie takes the run out through a rip, let him take lots of line then work him around the outer side of the outer bar.

Small live tailor work well too......or used to before the enforcement of size limits.
    Jack.

Thanks very much ,appreciate that. I imagined it in reverse with the leader coming from the tail. I guess it would be easir to hold it in an area rigged this way though. Too good, i will definately give this a shot. Ben

cheers Tunaticer. My rod doesn't have enough grunt to through a full mullet out neither do my muscles. Dad might be getting a gary howard bull dog which would be fine for that setup. Im getting a alvey in the next week(6") for my rod too. Another question what tides. I do not really like fishing high tides off the beach as i struggle to get to them. So would low tide be allright. I know high is suppose to be better i have heard but... The gutter is anywhere for 10-100m south of a rock bar which comes out from a headland.

I personally dont beach fish but a mate fishes the end of the gutter where the rip takes the bait out, maybe someone on here can elaborate or confirm this for you.

You really need to read the beach to work out where the jew will be hunting. Just because there is a gutter with a good outer bank and good entry and exit areas and a rip does not mean it is suitable. There is more reasons why they are attracted to particular holes / bars / rips / whitewaters than just fishing a gutter or hole.
    Get an idea first of all where the bait are at a stage of the tide you wish to fish, that is probably 50% of your battle fought. Not all gutters hold bait, not all gutters have suitable sweep or rips, and not all gutters have suitable whitewater.

Check out your area well before dusk and find that spot that might hold the jew at night, go back there about an hour before the time you expect that place to be perfect. Take a sponge about 100mm long and 40mm wide with you and soak it with glowbait, weight it with a smallish ball sinker and cast it out in your fishing zone. Watch its path, watch the current lines and watch where it goes near. I generally cast it out on my pre rigged rod and cast it three times, entry, middle and exit of the gutter. Then rethink how you are going to fish that hole effectively. Just anchoring a bait in the hole is about as effective as a tic tac for a headache.
    Jack.

That rods tops mate. I think your biggest hurdle now is time on the water. Every chance you get. High tides are going to be better obviously during the day but at night a tide change, whether its high or low, will get you in the zone.

Thanks Heaps Guys. Dad has just agreed to get into it with me. I cant wait to get my first one. The first one will make them so much easier to get into.

I will be (will) be posting a picture of a 8KG plus jewie before the end of the year! Ill keep you all updated.

Well I hope so.....