Thread: Hays Inlet 03-03-12

Hays Inlet 03-03-12

Just thought I'd pop this up to help anyone wanting to know what's going on out there.

Fished up Fresh Water Creek and caught 5 nice bream. Only stayed up there for about an hour so we didn't get stuck. Was at the top of the tide.

I did notice quite a few prawns jumping as we were coming from the main channel over the sandbank to the creek mouth...

Anyway, hope it helps someone.

Re: Hays Inlet 03-03-12

Good to see you got a few bream. Thanks for the report.
    Good things come to those who bait

Gday Drifty, i just got back from tryin to get a flatty there. Off the banks this time, no fish but hundreds of flatty lies on the banks right up towards the mangroves. Some pretty big ones too

Quote Originally Posted by kingcray View Post
    Gday Drifty, i just got back from tryin to get a flatty there. Off the banks this time, no fish but hundreds of flatty lies on the banks right up towards the mangroves. Some pretty big ones too
    Shame you didn't succeed but all those lies sound hopeful maybe for later int he tide...

Good stuff on the bream Drifty in an hour too, nice job mate..

Cheers
    Billy

Yes ya gota love those flatty lies especially when they are BIG 1's lol theres been alot around lately but no strikes as of yet...they will hop onto my "Prawnstars" very soon.

Cheers
    Billy

I'm not keen on chasing flathead in such a large area like Hays.. I got a little spot that's like a big funnel for them.. Took a mate last year and got 14 in under 2 hours. (Limited time window for best results) All on soft plastics.. Just kept releasing the healthiest fish that was smaller than what we just caught. Hasn't been a day like that in a long long time!

I went in my yak there today from 7.30 to 1.30 and scored 7 legal flathead to 71cm and 9 legal bream to about 31-32cm, one cod at 50cm and one jack at 37cm. Released all but one flathead 57cm for dinner. All caught on plastics on 6lb leader and 6lb braid. Quite a lot of catfish around too atm and a noticeable lack of stingray activity.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    I went in my yak there today from 7.30 to 1.30 and scored 7 legal flathead to 71cm and 9 legal bream to about 31-32cm, one cod at 50cm and one jack at 37cm. Released all but one flathead 57cm for dinner. All caught on plastics on 6lb leader and 6lb braid. Quite a lot of catfish around too atm and a noticeable lack of stingray activity.
    71cm is a nice fish. well done. sounds like a good day.

Yeah Si, was a nice old girl to be sure.
    There was a lot of undersized fish as well, not too bad considering it was probably close to around 5-600 casts made. Water quality was surprisingly good i thought.
    Top colours today were bloodworm and white.
    Most of the fish were not in the channels or holes either, they were mostly in less than a metre of water.
    Jack.