Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifejacket Signs now required.

Lifejacket Signs now required.

Hi

Not sure how many are aware of this but now all rec. vessels are required to display a sign of where the lifejackets are stowed of face a $200 fine.

Also posted this on the boating forum

Cheers

Further info on http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/About-us/N...t-stowage.aspx

Re: Lifejacket Signs now required.

Do you know who is selling the stickers?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodman View Post
    Do you know who is selling the stickers?
    Whitworths

I made my own - printed a label LIFE JACKETS in white writing on a red background, laminated it for $1.25 and stuck it to my deck hatch carpet with velcro dots...

Will do a screw on version once the requirements have been clarified...

i dont think i need one,as my passengers can all see where the life jackets are,its only required if they are stored out of sight.

It's intresting even the guvment is calling them "life jackets". I thought they were Personal Floatation Devices. PFD

Is there any specs as to how large this signage must be?? will a nikko pen do?? what if you are the only person to use the boat and always solo?
    Jack.

All I know is that they want either red on white or white on red in the colouring of letters and background, just what I have been told, so dont really know

An extract from the MSQ web site "
    Mr Quirk said if life jackets weren’t clearly visible to passengers, the boat owners or masters must give each person on board information about where the safety equipment is kept and clearly sign where life jackets are stowed."
    Tight Lines

Split-shot

Yes , its true... The water police are now enforcing this and issueing infringment notices, happened to me on Saturday at Hervey Bay. Writing must be displayed in white writing with a red background. Also as stated a safety briefing must be given to all on board. No fines as yet only official warnings.

your right about the warning from water police i got one about two weeks ago out front of redcliffe, my pfd,s are under my front casting deck and i had the front hatch open i was the only one on board they flew past me turned around came along side me told me my rego stickers dont comply after three years (the contrast of em) why now wrote me a warning also warned me about these pfd stickers i said the front hatch is up u can see them that must comply they said fair enough off they go. whats next flares here v sheet here bail bucket here and so on.

What's next is a bloody University degree on boating and fishing regulations just so the weekend recreational fisho can go wet a line with his kids and catch a few flatties or whiting. F'ing ridiculous what is this country legislation coming too? - everything so over-regulated these days all driven by litigation concerns etc.

I find this crap harder to keep up with than the legal implications within my career!

Feel better now my rant is over. But seriously you're right where will it end???

I've had enough frigging Uni in my time I just wanna have a bit of fun fishing

Quote Originally Posted by drunkenduncan View Post
    Yes , its true... The water police are now enforcing this and issueing infringment notices, happened to me on Saturday at Hervey Bay. Writing must be displayed in white writing with a red background. Also as stated a safety briefing must be given to all on board. No fines as yet only official warnings.
    Water police where around up this way and they were giving the stickers out for free. Their sticker was red writing on white background.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Is there any specs as to how large this signage must be?? will a nikko pen do?? what if you are the only person to use the boat and always solo?

This is what MSQ emailed me today

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately, Maritime Safety Queensland doesn't have stickers to send out but we will have a limited supply available from the Tinnie and Tackle boat show at the end of this month that we will be giving out. Otherwise the stickers are available at some boating and fishing stores - some are currently out of stock but will be getting them in very soon.

Alternatively, you can make the sign yourself. The only stipulation is that the words 'life jacket' are printed in either red writing on a white background or white writing on a red background. We don't have a requirement for a size of the sign; as a guide, MSQ's stickers measure 200 mm x 30 mm and to date have proved an acceptable size in most applications.
    NOW I,AM GUNNA EATCHA