Thread: south pine river

south pine river

finally have a chance to get out tomoro even though the wind forecast is ordinary. Ive decided to head up the south pine try my luck. We used to camp on a little beach where the river bends to the left and heads to the bald hills rd ramp, and if you stick to the right it will take u right up behind westfields shops at strathpine.
    Anyways from what i can remember it was really shallow heading around that way. We only ever had 10ft tinnies with 6hp in those days so didnt matter. WIth the mid-morning low tide i am hoping i can explore right up towards the ramp behind the shops there. 4.3m tinny 30hp. i can remember an island some way down where u can go left or right of it to get through. Has been 10 yrs at least so will be interesting to see how much it has changed.
    By the way i will be launching from DWB ramp about 6.30 if anybody heading up there.

thanks
    Dean

Re: south pine river

It was still much as you describe it llast time we went up there Dean, though we didn't go as far as Westfields. Brings back memories of back in the day when we used to launch at that horrible steep little ramp behind Westfields years ago.

Dean it is SUPER shallow in parts of the entry to the creek that heads up to Westfields, the "deeper" part of the entry is close to the northern bank. If you look on near maps, the most recent photo is from 18th June and gives you a good view of the channel.

Good luck

Tim and Trace

thanks guys ill check it out. i sussed out that ramp not along ago and i think they may have rebuilt it.

As Chas says, once you see that little island hug the northern bank tightly (2m off the bank tight) and at low tide you will need to raise the motor to shallow drive.
    I will be on the water in the south pine from before dawn tomorrow. I will be the one wearing the rediculous hat and yellow jacket in the ugliest tinny since the ark.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    ... in the ugliest tinny since the ark.
    I thought the Noah's fishing boat was supposed to be a centre cab, wooden number. I hadn't caught up with this latest theological realisation that it was a actually a tinny. Clearly been way too long since I was last in church.

Tim

Just launch at Bob bell park, good deep water, not much to see in the first 1k anyway. It does shoal right out at low tide, but stick to top half of the tide though and you can make it easily all the way to the road bridge if you follow normal practice in creeks. (inside edge on corners etc) If your in doubt, the left bank holds the deepest water in most of the straights. You wont have any issues, its 6 knot limit, so just put away.
    Fish it all the time in my yak, lovely bit of water.

thanks Feral. well i got out there and did more exploring than anything. Prop found the bottom once or twice, heheh no harm done.First drift was off the corner of the old camp site nice little 6mtr+ hole next to a sandbar. First cast with the new symetre trion rig squidgey wriggler on 1/8 jig hooked a nice fat tailor. A first for me on a SP too. Only 6lb leader too so lucky he didnt bite me off. He went about 45 so great start .. next cast hit a freight train took off like a rocket then spat it out spewin. pretty quiet after that when wind got up.
    Still beats sittin at home. Also i think i bumped into Tunaticer maybe was that u? if it was then yea was a ridiculous hat
    cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah Kingray T'was me. ripper of a hat aye!!! geez i was warm tho!!

We ended up with 3 flatties 64, 62 and 48cm plus a legal Castle Hill squire on a threadybuster!! That blew me away getting that lil fella there.

Also left two GT's with lip ornaments in the shape of threadybusters from near the Junction earlier.

Gonna hit the junction again tmora at dawn and try to reclaim my lures!! Fat chance there i think.
    Jack.

yeah u looked like u had a beaver on your head or something. You did really well. we didnt see one flathead all day. I did catch a small GT only about 20cm long from the green marker round the bend near where i came close to u. somebody else on here caught a legal squire from the wreck i think it was not so long ago. Well at least one of us got into a few. I can smell my fish cooking away in the oven, so at least i have dinner. Good luck tomorow.
    cheers

Well at least u to dinner dean.
    Hopefully I will get out tomorrow. I am determined to find a feed of whiting.

Cheere
    Greg

looks alright for tomoro greg. should be pretty flat in the morning. im hearing of whiting at d-bay and beachmere. not sure of size or numbers. im liking the look of the 7 o clock 2.4m high tomoro night and light winds. might go for a late arv / night bream or snap fish.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcray View Post
    looks alright for tomoro greg. should be pretty flat in the morning. im hearing of whiting at d-bay and beachmere. not sure of size or numbers. im liking the look of the 7 o clock 2.4m high tomoro night and light winds. might go for a late arv / night bream or snap fish.
    Hey Dean, sorry you didn't catch a few more, but you sounded happy with that tailor (rightly so).

When you fish evenings for the bream / snaps do you go plastics or bait?

Thanks
    Tim

hey Tim, yea was stoked first fish on the new rod / reel. i like to fish the 'wells' area incoming tide of about 7 or 8 o clock. unweighted mullet, tailor fillet or half pilly, or small running sinker with fresh prawns. have caught 1 or 2 roaster bream there in the past, lose a few to the rocks too. Plenty of knot eels around there at night which are a real pain in the ass.
    dont ask me about snaps i just cant find em anymore. tried scarby yesty arv for zilch
    dean