101 65.16%
  • Mono

22 14.19%
  • Both depending on water depth?

32 20.65%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: bait bottom bouncing line type

Re: bait bottom bouncing line type

I'm a bit each way depending on depth and current, mono in water to 40m if still, braid if current flow. But must admit tending to fish braid most of the time now, leader 40-80 lb depending on target and area

The first time I went out to the 300m mark was with 50lb mono and You didnt have a clue if anything was on until you wound the reel handle bout 50 times to take the stretch out and then it was like a big rubber band.

Changed to braid and it was like fishing in the river, just a bit further to wind up

Electric reels are what bug me.! Anyone can sit there & have a cup of tea or whatever whilst the reel cranks away by itself , and then it stops winding or beeps so you can put your scone and cuppa down and wind the last few metres

Can feel every bump with Braid. Use a 100lb mono leader on dropper rigs( 40lb to the lead weight) out deep or 80lb plastic coated 7 strand wire for jigging with 80lb braid mainline.

One of the benefits of fishing braid out deep was that there was less line drag.
    Been having fun in the last few years going out to the 32fathom to 42fathom with a lighter procaster rod,20lb braid on a Penn Slammer 460 reel and rubbers or bait, Much fun!!!

I have one river rod with mono on it and thats for Katrina so she doesnt cut her fingers.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
    The first time I went out to the 300m mark was with 50lb mono and You didnt have a clue if anything was on until you wound the reel handle bout 50 times to take the stretch out and then it was like a big rubber band.

Changed to braid and it was like fishing in the river, just a bit further to wind up

Electric reels are what bug me.! Anyone can sit there & have a cup of tea or whatever whilst the reel cranks away by itself , and then it stops winding or beeps so you can put your scone and cuppa down and wind the last few metres

Can feel every bump with Braid. Use a 100lb mono leader on dropper rigs( 40lb to the lead weight) out deep or 80lb plastic coated 7 strand wire for jigging with 80lb braid mainline.

One of the benefits of fishing braid out deep was that there was less line drag.
    Been having fun in the last few years going out to the 32fathom to 42fathom with a lighter procaster rod,20lb braid on a Penn Slammer 460 reel and rubbers or bait, Much fun!!!

I have one river rod with mono on it and thats for Katrina so she doesnt cut her fingers.
    Cheers.
    Yep. i only have 1 reel with mono on it nowadays and thats the one i pretend i am jew fisherman with. You've seen me trying to catch those bastards and it hasnt got much better.
    Seriously though braid is the way to go for outside fishing. no belly and unbeatable feel for bites. I wouldnt even bother differentiating between depths. Current runs just as strong in shallow water as it does deepwater and braid will do a better job keeping you in touch with the bottom.

Smile Re: bait bottom bouncing line type.

Quote Originally Posted by googarra View Post
    Depends on the depth and bottom.

If some of the crew get snags and busted off, I get the deck winch out 300metres of 200lb mono (rolls up a lot better on the winch) If I get to wanting to see what the ^%$# is giving us grief down there, I get the stainless wire out, usually about the 500lb mark, out with the crimp kit and wire it up with a 12/O and a whole fish.

No prizes for guessing what happens next, usually around the 6 foot long mark.

Whoohoo, a lot of fun but nothing in the box
    Mate i know what you mean. We have a submarine at Yeppoon that we are down 4 /nil. We put a whole xos Hussar on a 12/0 and using a queen winch with 200lb dropped it down last time. Could seeit coming on the sounder like a sub. Next thing the winch is smoking backwards on full lock untill bust off. There's always next time. Cheers Loz

Quote Originally Posted by deepfried View Post
    Yep. i only have 1 reel with mono on it nowadays and thats the one i pretend i am jew fisherman with. You've seen me trying to catch those bastards and it hasnt got much better.
    Seriously though braid is the way to go for outside fishing. no belly and unbeatable feel for bites. I wouldnt even bother differentiating between depths. Current runs just as strong in shallow water as it does deepwater and braid will do a better job keeping you in touch with the bottom.
    Its not that hard scott!!

2012-02-15 19.52.20 (Medium).jpg

Hmmmm I beg to differ..and I know your thinking the same this year uncle steve

Good old braid off the rocks, Luv it. Can feel every bump and every time the weight goes off the line I know a jew had a suck at the lure.

Gonna be a good year this year, I can feel it!
    Should take Deepfried with us, I always seem to catch more fish when he is around

You will be right mark, you will get one this year as long as F.B leaves some for us

Quote Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
    Good old braid off the rocks, Luv it. Can feel every bump and every time the weight goes off the line I know a jew had a suck at the lure.

Gonna be a good year this year, I can feel it!
    Should take Deepfried with us, I always seem to catch more fish when he is around

You will be right mark, you will get one this year as long as F.B leaves some for us
    I have braid on a couple of others for the plasitcs. I have got onto some but not in a size bracket worth talking about. I seem to spend more time using the gaff than fishing and
    thats scary because i would have to be one of the worst gaffmen around. On the boat i get out on they prefer gaffing their own fish than relying on me haha. It might also be why they let me take the rod so much.
    if you get over this side for a fish i would be keen to provide the entertainment again for you guys. Your rock is just too far for me to get to when there are so many spots within a few minutes drive for me.

We can always go to the other side ? The Dark side!!
    You must be spoilt for fishing spots on that side.
    I always like the nth around Anzac day and we usually do well(in a normal year).
    Just jokin about us catching more fish when you are there m8, but feel free to come along anytime
    I think I need more gaffing practice too but......

braid for me to with a mono leader

I'm with you Muddy Toes, I fish exactly the same line class and type for both applications.

Quote Originally Posted by TANK View Post
    I'm with you Muddy Toes, I fish exactly the same line class and type for both applications.
    Shhhhhhh.......a very wise man told me to do it this way, floatlining with mono.....we'll keep it our secret hey?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post

mono to 40 meters deep...... then go braid.

I would agree with that. I fish exclusively in Moreton Bay where the deepest depth is only about 33 m or so anyway so I only use mono though I went through a braid stage a few years back.

Platypus say that their Super 100 mono is the thinnest mono in the market. I don't know if that is true but that is my preferred choice because of that claim.

The cost of fishing line is negligible compared with fuel so you might as well get the best.

Im with Muddy as well. Floatline with mono and braid for bottom fishing and jigging

Mono for anything shallower than 30m and braid for any deeper. I like mono, the simple effectiveness of it in the shallows kick ass.