View Poll Results: Should this be legal ?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

35 20.59%
  • No

57 33.53%
  • Yes, with restricted licence and compliance

67 39.41%
  • Yes, only to Ausfishers...

11 6.47%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Should this be legal ?

Re: Should this be legal ?

Quote Originally Posted by wags on the water View Post
    Phill, what have you done?????

Attachment 79573
    Cant remember last time I saw a cop car so worth the risk of a fine but no insurance would be another matter. Needs to be legalised with an inspection for safety and driver cert. If you have a HC or MC licence and proper setup then why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Linedropper View Post
    Cant remember last time I saw a cop car so worth the risk of a fine but no insurance would be another matter. Needs to be legalised with an inspection for safety and driver cert. If you have a HC or MC licence and proper setup then why not?
    Yes. Why not.

I have more concerns with cars in Brisbane then the concerns I would have meeting one of these on the highway.
    If it was engineered right (dual axle on engineered and certified front trailer and independent electric brakes setups on both trailers (so braking can be adjusted for each trailer) and the driver passing a road train test then why not??

I reckon simply towing any trailer should be an annex on your license.
    I can't simply chuck a trailer behind my MR license and off into the wild blue yonder I go....so why can some shmuk simply chuck on a trailer behind their car and off they go??
    The number of people who cannot back a trailer is horrendous.
    What's the difference in not been able to back a trailer to not been able to back a mini road train?? It's a wonder someone hasn't called them a MRT. Or SMART (stupendous mini articulated road train)
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by rooboy98 View Post
    Errr......No thanks.

Next thing, there would be little boats getting towed behind caravans! Imagine that when heading up North.

Cheers,
    Roo.
    Yep....it was just a matter of time!

$166.......he got off pretty lightly IMO.

Cheers,
    Roo.

Ausfish Platinum Member

The example in the first pic is probably someone who was travelling out west and is helping someone out by taking their boat to the nearest point for help. All decent camper trailers have a rear hitch for recovery, I would think that they have just utilised it to get the boat somewhere. IE: owner of boats car has broken down and didn't want to leave the boat in the middle of nowhere.
    Like has already been said, if trailers are engineered to do it, and experience has been tested why not. I also think that we should have a driving test every 5 years until your 50, then one every 3 until 60, then every 2 until 70 then every year from there on, would make traveling alot safer in alot of areas. We don't test enough, and we change road rules without telling anyone, how unsafe can we get.

Cheers
    Corry
    Cheers
    Corry

Quote Originally Posted by Corry View Post
    The example in the first pic is probably someone who was travelling out west and is helping someone out by taking their boat to the nearest point for help. All decent camper trailers have a rear hitch for recovery, I would think that they have just utilised it to get the boat somewhere. IE: owner of boats car has broken down and didn't want to leave the boat in the middle of nowhere.
    Like has already been said, if trailers are engineered to do it, and experience has been tested why not. I also think that we should have a driving test every 5 years until your 50, then one every 3 until 60, then every 2 until 70 then every year from there on, would make traveling alot safer in alot of areas. We don't test enough, and we change road rules without telling anyone, how unsafe can we get.

Cheers
    Corry

So! how old are you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gon Fishun View Post
    So! how old are you.
    Definitely not more then 70 I'd say.
    Who wants a test every year??

Not me.

Cheers Alfred

$166 may be affordable every couple of years if you get caught, but how about having to leave one of your trailers on the side of the road while you tow the first one to a safe storage spot?

Once caught they won't let you proceed with both trailers.

My luck would mean I would be leaving a trailer in a real shitty location.

Darren

Part of my role as owner of a motor body building business is having to deal with Quensland Transport on a regular basis. During one meeting i got distracted from the topic at hand and raised the question about multi combinations of vehicles less than 4.5t GVM. The response from the gurus at transport were- tecnically there is nothing stopping a person having 2 trailers in combination providing sufficient engineering has been done in regards to tow hitches, tow bars etc. However he went on to add that transport would most likely look at the first trailer as an A trailer in a B-Double combination which carries approx. $12,000 a year rego cost. That put a dampener on my grand thoughts

Tell me what I'm doing wrong.
    It seems a lead caravan is quite cheap.

I did the quote from here.
    https://www.service.transport.qld.go...ote/eQuote.jsp

Just hook up the camper and your off!

Boat in Boot.jpg

Cheers,
    Jim

Yes Phill, you've certainly started something. The craze is taking off in SA as well.

DSC_1912.jpg

That's a loader, towing a ute (with diesel tank in tray), towing another diesel tank trailer.

Is this legal?
    Jim

There's a crib room and a sleeping van missing from that combo - He'll be driving away from them and then grade back towards them.
    Dunno how they go for rego, but every remote rural area of the country has a road crew that operates in that manner.

I voted no - my sense of humour would soon evaporate being stuck behind dickwits trying the Indian Head cutting with their mega combos..

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Tell me what I'm doing wrong.
    It seems a lead caravan is quite cheap.

I did the quote from here.
    https://www.service.transport.qld.go...ote/eQuote.jsp

I think having 4501t ATM on a single axle is the biggest issue there Finga
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Ya reckon??
    What is it for a tandem then?

Don't forget a tandem setup within some limits equals 1 axle if I remember some rubbish I read.

FFS this thread keeps coming up in my new posts search. Last post was weeks ago and yet it keeps coming up as last post by finga today.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.