View Poll Results: Should this be legal ?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

35 20.59%
  • No

57 33.53%
  • Yes, with restricted licence and compliance

67 39.41%
  • Yes, only to Ausfishers...

11 6.47%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Should this be legal ?

Re: Should this be legal ?

If you are going to go as far as requiring a MC license then you may aswell go all out and drive one of these.. With a 21ft boat instead of the Jeep of course!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A bit off topic but I like this idea.. Top deck lowers down.

I reckon 20-30 years ago no one would have blinked at this....if thats a good or bad thing depends on your point of view, a bit like going the biff in Origin or not...

roads havent improved, IQ's havent gone up,

BUT Nanny impatience from others has gone up big time and so for that very reason... the impatience of other drivers he should think twice as they will do him up the kyber whilst pointing at him saying" he cant do that!!" ...

he is just getting out of the city.....going for a drive with a camper and a tinnie,, cant see any issue with that, his issue backing down a ramp or at Coles and thats his problem and hope he has good insurance.
    Tangles KFC

Quote Originally Posted by MudRiverDan View Post
    No

You guys comparing a B double truck to these things?

No comparison even slightly to a truck at all, not even remotely similar.

cheers
    I disagree, for 99.99999999% of the population that doesn't have a B double licence this may as well be a B-double.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Just wondering if this could be made legal, seeing the B Double situation. ?

Please vote and offer any ideas or suggestions or comments.. positive oines would be nice

LP

Haveing only a single drive axel i think you would be capped at 12m.
    If it came under that, you probable need it to have a compliance plated and you woud then need the rite licence
    thats if you could get id made leagal.
    Ive often thought about doing that myself it would save two cars or two trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    I disagree, for 99.99999999% of the population that doesn't have a B double licence this may as well be a B-double.

Well said!!!!!
    Cheers Axl

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    For starters it doesn't have as many wheels, nor the engineering, the engine, the power, the air brakes, the gearbox, the axels, the weight.

just to give some perspective on the comparison.
    Apparently a B Double driver is also qualified to drive a road train these days.

To me it just looks glaringly obvious that the last trailer would easily swerve out of control, especially on those two little wheels.

Imagine what would happen if the vehicle had to swerve suddenly...

At least some of the above pictures use trailers with extra axles.

cheers

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't this already legal in the Northern Territory?

I'm quite sure I've seen these daisy chains several times when up there.

I really can't see the big deal, if all the trailer wheels are all the same profile and run at the same gauge as each other then from a driving perspective I can't see it being any harder than towing a long trailer.You'll still have to be conscious when turning and maneuvering in tight spaces and obviously take weight, stopping distance and length of consist in to consideration when driving so I don't reckon it should need a special license to do this because any damn fool can legally tow a large boat trailer as it is now, It doesn't take very long to work out how to drive with a long trailer safely.

I would vote again and say legal with restrictions, like minimum of two axles for the first trailer for added stability, or some limit on speed.

to a large degree it would depend upon the quality of the trailers.

Thumbs up Re: Should this be legal ?

I voted "Yes" ....but imo the Box trailer "itself" would have to comply in some way i.e. be capable of "towing"

YES!! Plenty of big boats around that would be longer than this and you dont need a special licence for them. If you want to do it, and are capable to do it, you should be allowed to do it. If you can't... dont. People whinge about us being a nanny state, then contradict themselves by advocating it. Go for it I say.....

Hi
    I voted NO. Thats an accident waiting to happen. Fo rnayone that has ever had a trailer come away from the tow pull or you have to brake suddenly it is very scary. Just encouraging a few more idiot behaviours on our roads. JMO.

Ronnie

There is training for everything these days that give you a certificate or licence from using a knife to working suspended from a helicopter. I would imagine there would be training available for this. The average Joe couldn't be bothered setting something like this up, therefore we do not see it. I am sure there are hundreds of these chains in use on farms all around the country and quite possibly they are on our roads too. Have the trailers design certified and get the licence and i do not think there is much stopping you.
    How much effort are you going to put in???
    Jack.

I wouldn't like to see it legal, if you have watched boats unloaded at a ramp you would see many horror reverses, they have their licence but can't reverse to save themselves, very few people would have the skills to do something like this well, however where there is a will there is always a way and I could imaging a lot of drivers passing a test if required to do so but would be hopeless from then on.

I would not imagine this would be allowed by the D.O.T/RTA, just out of curiosity, where was this pic taken?

Cheers

Ed.