Thread: Possible work transfer to Nambour, what's the fishing like around the area?

Possible work transfer to Nambour, what's the fishing like around the area?

I'm currently in townsville but have a chance of a transfer to nambour if I want it. I'm a very keen fisherman but don't eat fish so I just fish for the challenge. I don't really care whether it's freshwater or salt. I would like to know what the fishing is like around the area, have seen creek to coast fishing at noosa river (for bass) which appeals to me. Any opinion's?

Re: Possible work transfer to Nambour, what's the fishing like around the area?

there are lots of good spots close to nambour although nambour itself is missing a bit. Dam at maleny half an hour away where you can paddle for bass. Noosa system has heaps of opps, there are guides you can use to familiarise yourself with the system, basss, jack occasional salmon barra flattie etc
    maroochy river half an hour or less, good for juvenile jew, big jack, flathead, bream etc
    go out from mooloolaba for reefies if you're lucky, also mackeral etc available offshore and other pelagics. hour or less north to tincanbay and sandy strait good for estuary species and pelagics or through wide bay bar, also hervey bay 2.5 hours north and three+ hours north to monduran and 5 to awoonga although both of those are lacking a little as I understand at the moment. Also bourumba dam at Imbil only half an hour away for bass, toga, yellowbelly. Mary river cod etc
    Yeah i'd say it's a pretty good spot all up.
    good luck jim

and up the road is the fish farm at Bli Bli

Just google Sunshine Coast fishing... nothing at Nambour itself but heaps of options for whatever you are into... Barra are thin on the ground down this far though... reefs fish ok but as usual the further you go from the population the better the fishing normally gets

Thatta boy.....revolving your work life around the chance to have a fish.

Hi,
    A couple of day ago i saw trevalley herding herring in Lake Kawana........ very exciting as I was chucking a lure around the swirls for 30 min.
    If you like fresh water fishing, Try Ewan maddock Dam close to Mooloola township, big saratoga, bass... good to have kayak or canoe , but you can fish the dam wall , dawn....

There's fish here, here's the local fising reports, one of them...
    http://www.swanboathire.com.au/fishing-reports.html

good fishing
    I bet there are some bass around Nambour............ do some exploring
    randell

Quote Originally Posted by randell View Post
    Hi,
    If you like fresh water fishing, Try Ewan maddock Dam close to Mooloola township, big saratoga, bass... good to have kayak or canoe , but you can fish the dam wall , dawn....

randell
    You get the end of that on the landsborough to caloundra road right randell?
    I've often wondered where you launch kayaks and canoes from. Do you take the mooloola rd?
    thanks jim

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post
    Thatta boy.....revolving your work life around the chance to have a fish.
    Lifestyle before work Area sounds fine, just got to make the decision.

Hi Sheik,
    Down Steve irwin Rd, then onto Mooloolah Connection Rd, to dam wall , or down Tunnel Ridge Rd, then Kowald rd, to the south side .
    http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/EwenMaddock.htm

good luck
    randell

I would suggest that if you have to work in Nambour that you don't actually reside there. Living in Maroochydore would be perfectly central for all sorts of fishing, estuary, beach, fresh and offshore from Mooloolabah. Kayak, shore and boat. What more could you want?? If you're chasing bass at Ewen Maddock Dam or Baroon Pocket Dam that you might be interested in joining our stocking group www.ewenmaddock.com.au

The Sunshine coast is brilliant, if you know where to look... Bass in the creeks around Nambour, jewies, trevs, flatties, bream, whiting all in the Maroochy. Mooloola river, Noosa... The list goes on.

Don't worry about the fishing, there is plenty of it. As the above poster said though, don't live in Nambour. The place is a hole.

You could catch all sorts of things in Nambour.... unfortunately most of them are...... ahem...... unwanted.
    Plenty of fishing everywhere and literally hundreds of options within 5 - 30 min drive..... as the two above me said.... if you dont HAVE to live in Nambour... dont.
    There are only two moments in time.... There's now, and there's too late.