Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Baitrunner?

Re: Which Baitrunner?

Does the 6500b have a metal body also? and would it be strong enough to use 50 pound braid on?

Graphite/Titanium body but plenty strong enough for 50lb.

Interesting imput guys,thanks.I did buy a 6500b,just liked the extra line capacity compered to the 4500.
    Cheers, Gav

daughter's bf has the largest daiwa regal z baitrunner and has been very pleased with it. runs 20lb mono and floatlines for snapper etc.
    nice reel it is, too.

Anyone use the OC Baitrunner. Looks like the D version only silver and black like the old B model.

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

I've had a 6500b for a few years. The first couple of times I used it in "bait" mode it was smashed by macks and I actually got a birdsnest in the line. Since then I have used it like any other reel - back off the drag a bit when the bait is on. I'd never by another reel like this as can't see the point. Even Fingermark (which are very touchy on the bite) are easily handled with the drag backed off a bit. I bought it from *Mart when I knew a lot less and the sales guy thought he knew a lot more.

The 6500b has landed a number of large tuna and GTs so it is strong enough and the line capacity a great match.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteman View Post
    I've had a 6500b for a few years. The first couple of times I used it in "bait" mode it was smashed by macks and I actually got a birdsnest in the line. Since then I have used it like any other reel - back off the drag a bit when the bait is on. I'd never by another reel like this as can't see the point. Even Fingermark (which are very touchy on the bite) are easily handled with the drag backed off a bit. I bought it from *Mart when I knew a lot less and the sales guy thought he knew a lot more.

The 6500b has landed a number of large tuna and GTs so it is strong enough and the line capacity a great match.
    The Biatrunner feature comes into it's own when fishing with line-class line IMO. The ability to SET the drag with accurate scales (on my 6500's I run 8kg test set to 2.8kg drag) and effectively use the reel exactly as you would a lever drag overhead reel.
    Shame you don't find these reels as useful as I do, and I have to say, I've never had an "over-run" either.

If I had to chose just ONE combo for the rest of my like, it'd be my 6500B and Albagraph 5 combo.

Hi all, I have a 6500B and love it, however I noticed the spool was running off and on inspection the shaft was bent.
    I ordered a new one from my local tackle store and got it today. I have just gone to fit it and it is bent as well??
    Are they like this or have I been sent a dud?
    Tony
    "Out Quoting"

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Woo View Post
    The Biatrunner feature comes into it's own when fishing with line-class line IMO. The ability to SET the drag with accurate scales (on my 6500's I run 8kg test set to 2.8kg drag) and effectively use the reel exactly as you would a lever drag overhead reel.
    Shame you don't find these reels as useful as I do, and I have to say, I've never had an "over-run" either.

If I had to chose just ONE combo for the rest of my like, it'd be my 6500B and Albagraph 5 combo.
    Point taken. I fish with a line class of minimum 50lb braid!

I think the small 4000 size baitrunners would be great for soft plastics. The ability to let a little line out and kick it into gear without having to lift the bail arm would work great I would think. Anyone use one for this?

Hi Gav,
    Have had an Okuma Coranado for more years than I care to remember. Took it for it's first service six months ago. Nothing wrong---just my concience getting the better of me, it had done such hard work. The guy gave it a spin and said---Don't open it up, it is perfect.
    Have just bought the latest equivalent from the States . A package of two Okuma Avengers with spare carbon graphite spools, delivered to the door for $175. This includes $50 priority postage. Had them out to the shelf yesterday---they are brilliant.
    If you need some info as to where to get them, reply to me.
    Cav(J.C.)