Thread: "fishing" report Brisbane 19-24 feb 2012, Brisbane area

"fishing" report Brisbane 19-24 feb 2012, Brisbane area

Hi all,

I figured i'd post the fruits of my labour over the last week. I've come up to brisbane to go fishing with my brother, and catch some fish. You may have noted the inverted commas in the thread title.

I can safely say, this is the worst week of fishing i have endured in at least the last 10 years, if not my life.

I'm boat based, and have tried a variety of locations, times, tides and have had absolutely zero luck.

I'll break it down day by day.

The first day out was sunday 19th. we left in the morning, bought fresh bait, went to Jacobs well, and floated up and don the river, anchored up at a variety of favourite spots. I've spent a lot of time going through posts here, and have been using as little weight as possible, and a variety of rigs as well as actively fishing one line, yet still 8 hours on (started 2 hours before low tide, finished at high tide), and we managed to bag one mud crab, one bream and a couple of teeny tiny grunters.

Monday was Jacobs well again. This time we went all the way up to the pin, and we left early. we were at the pin at 5am, along with one other boat. Again, we spent 8 hours out, and not a bite. nothing.

Tuesday, we decided to hit Mud island. We arrived bang on low tide, floated around, looked for some structure on the sounder, hung around for a few hours, searched some more, hung around some more, high tide, weather turned, so we headed back with nothing. not even a snag. no action whatsoever.

Weds we had a lazy day, and headed to the pimpama river for some afternoon/night fishing. launched at diamond head, set some crap pots downstream, and cruised on down. we started fishing right on dusk, using a few soft platics, finding the holes, and again, nothing. went home at midnight with 3 legal crabs, but caught about 15. There seem to be lots of juvi crabs around atm.

Thursday and friday we hit the logan. thursday we did the upper arm towards woodridge down to the freeway and friday (in the rain), we went a little more towards the pin. again, not a bite.

It's been atrocious. Fresh bait, plastics, times, tides, nothing seems to make a difference. I'm gearing to go up to th pine atm, but am not holding my breath.

How is everyone else going? Surely i'm not the only one out ana about having serious issues!!

Re: "fishing" report Brisbane 19-24 feb 2012, Brisbane area

not good mate. i have had some pretty ordinary trips lately myself. It will be hard going in the piney today as with all the rain making very dirty. Basically pissed down all last night so she will be pretty fresh.

i know how you feel mate. usually when i take annual leave from work it rains the whole time too.

True. I've been so keen to head out fishing, and towed the freaken boat a thousand kays, so far all for niothing. I'm actually thinking if the wind dies down little i may as well head into the brissie river and try from the gateway downstream... I just want to catch something lol!

Went out to boggy this morning, land-based, mainly to cast up some mullet for later beach ventures.

Got some mullet and threw out a fresh strip on the hook, kept casting and the wind was blowing a gale.

Got the placcy outfit out and put on a 3/8 Dayoo Bigeye jighead in white and rigged a red slam worm on it, three casts a 50cm flatty.

Went back to casting after about 30 more casts with the placcy only produced a hit but no hookup.

Then got a small shovel on the mullet strip.

Released shovel, kept flathead, got about 20 mullet for freezing (was hard casting into the wind).

Also caught about 5 small flathead in the castnet and a lot of whiting (not winter whiting) 20-25 cm, which is promising that there's a few to grow.

cheers

you could try for Jew down stream.

G`day mate,

I fished the logan from Skinners park last weekend. Caught like 8 catfish, decent size, 3 bream decent size and 3 flatty decent size. All on prawns and sea worms. The flatty i used a soft plastic for. Caught 5 muddys. was a good day. Down the woodridge way there is not much but if you go out to the mouth. There are some good spots around there and on the sandbanks.

cheers
    dazza

Quote Originally Posted by janek View Post
    Hi all,

I figured i'd post the fruits of my labour over the last week. I've come up to brisbane to go fishing with my brother, and catch some fish. You may have noted the inverted commas in the thread title.

I can safely say, this is the worst week of fishing i have endured in at least the last 10 years, if not my life.

I'm boat based, and have tried a variety of locations, times, tides and have had absolutely zero luck.

I'll break it down day by day.

The first day out was sunday 19th. we left in the morning, bought fresh bait, went to Jacobs well, and floated up and don the river, anchored up at a variety of favourite spots. I've spent a lot of time going through posts here, and have been using as little weight as possible, and a variety of rigs as well as actively fishing one line, yet still 8 hours on (started 2 hours before low tide, finished at high tide), and we managed to bag one mud crab, one bream and a couple of teeny tiny grunters.

Monday was Jacobs well again. This time we went all the way up to the pin, and we left early. we were at the pin at 5am, along with one other boat. Again, we spent 8 hours out, and not a bite. nothing.

Tuesday, we decided to hit Mud island. We arrived bang on low tide, floated around, looked for some structure on the sounder, hung around for a few hours, searched some more, hung around some more, high tide, weather turned, so we headed back with nothing. not even a snag. no action whatsoever.

Weds we had a lazy day, and headed to the pimpama river for some afternoon/night fishing. launched at diamond head, set some crap pots downstream, and cruised on down. we started fishing right on dusk, using a few soft platics, finding the holes, and again, nothing. went home at midnight with 3 legal crabs, but caught about 15. There seem to be lots of juvi crabs around atm.

Thursday and friday we hit the logan. thursday we did the upper arm towards woodridge down to the freeway and friday (in the rain), we went a little more towards the pin. again, not a bite.

It's been atrocious. Fresh bait, plastics, times, tides, nothing seems to make a difference. I'm gearing to go up to th pine atm, but am not holding my breath.

How is everyone else going? Surely i'm not the only one out ana about having serious issues!!
    Just got home from the Pine . Lots of crap in the water , 6 hours for 2 decent flatties and 12 f*****g cattiesw,
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn 66 View Post
    Just got home from the Pine . Lots of crap in the water , 6 hours for 2 decent flatties and 12 f*****g cattiesw,
    Shawn
    2 decent faltties is pretty good with all the fresh....but that is a big effort for a small return Shawn.

With all the fresh around, I wouldn't bother with the creeks at all.

Mud is always best first light in the morning... Gotta be there before daylight though and fish for the next 2-3 hours and that's it.

wow... i guess i have just been fishing too far upstream when on the logan. but what gets me is no bites pretty much everywhere, hell i'd be happy catching a catty, at least its a bite!!... hopefully tomorrow will be a little more civilised a day, today ive ended up just doing the wiring in my bros shed.

so the general consensus seems to be fish closer to the mouth of the rivers, and if hitting the bay, do so before first light.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas & Clarry View Post
    2 decent faltties is pretty good with all the fresh....but that is a big effort for a small return Shawn.
    It was still good to get out there Tim , bit bloody uncomfortable with the wind though.
    Shawn

wow... i guess i have just been fishing too far upstream when on the logan. but what gets me is no bites pretty much everywhere, hell i'd be happy catching a catty, at least its a bite!!... hopefully tomorrow will be a little more civilised a day, today ive ended up just doing the wiring in my bros shed.

so the general consensus seems to be fish closer to the mouth of the rivers, and if hitting the bay, do so before first light.

He's been doing the wiring in his shed for the last 3 months!!!

LOL! I love the "HE" bit... It' all done now!!! What an epic effort!

on the fishing front, we did our best haul on the brissie river the other day, runout tide, up towards the mouth, and landed a whiting and a bunch of catfish. Not great, but at least there was some action!

LOL! I love the "HE" bit... It' all done now!!! What an epic effort!

on the fishing front, we did our best haul on the brissie river the other day, runout tide, up towards the mouth, and landed a whiting and a bunch of catfish. Not great, but at least there was some action!

Stay for another week and I'll come out with you's. Saturday morning sound good?