Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soft Plastics offshore in summer time

Re: Soft Plastics offshore in summer time

Quote Originally Posted by TIM D View Post
    Alright decided im going to go back to a lighter combo

If anyones interested in a as new (used twice) 4500 Saltiga S Extreme fitted with 50lb Saltiga Hyper PE - $950 (paid $1170)

and

Egrell Bear Essentials rod (used twice) - $400 (paid over $500)

cheers tim
    Geez that's an expensive change of mind dude. Don't do anything reckless.

Tim, keep your heavy outfit and buy a cheaper 4000 sized rig. $400 will see a very functional outfit in your hands. Use it to put a few fish in the boat then pull out the big guns and stick on a 10" plastic and hang on tightly. For my plastic work I use everything from light 2-4 kg outfits up to 24kg. You have to pick the times and places to use specific outfits. You just need more gear
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Nah gotta admit i prefere using a lighter combo all day, so the old combo is still up for grabs

cheers tim

give ya 50 for it tim since its got no mojo

Quote Originally Posted by rosco1974 View Post
    give ya 50 for it tim since its got no mojo

50 will get you a 5 minute hold of the Saltiga

cheers tim

ok 50 and a pack of pinkshine and a pack of nuc chicken..thats my final offer..least u will have dinner sorted and 50 towards the new combo

tim,
    Out of curiosity - These fishless trips..., you fishing by yourself and getting nothing or do you fish with others and they are getting nothing as well. Might not be the gear. There is a chance it is but there is also a good chance its not.......

Quote Originally Posted by rosco1974 View Post
    ok 50 and a pack of pinkshine and a pack of nuc chicken..thats my final offer..least u will have dinner sorted and 50 towards the new combo
    Gotta agree.it's jinxed . The only way to unjinx it is to......

Get a virgin too pee on the combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    tim,
    Out of curiosity - These fishless trips..., you fishing by yourself and getting nothing or do you fish with others and they are getting nothing as well. Might not be the gear. There is a chance it is but there is also a good chance its not.......

Yeah fishing with other soft plastic guy's and they aren't catching either, so i guess it may not be my gear. The 50lb PE braid on my new combo is thinner than the 20lb fireline i used to use on my old combo so i doubt running 50lb PE braid is the problem. Maybe if i drop down from a 40lb leader to a 20lb leader i might get some fish. I used to only run a 20lb leader on the old combo, so maybe a 20lb leader on the new combo will make a difference.

I guess i shouldn't just concerntrate on throwing plastics all the time and mix it up a bit. Like try my light knife jigs, vibrating metal blades etc till i find whats working on the day.

cheers tim

Quote Originally Posted by Aigutso View Post
    also if your jigging at places like Square Patch I'm thinking 250gram jigs plus is about where you want to be plus bigger braid so id be looking at a dedicated jigging outfit, the Smiths are good and light.

Don't think this is correct, i have got some kingies on 4oz jigheads at square patch before, 250 grams is only needed if the current is roaring or if you want to get down into the zone quickly.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...ok-for-Kingies!

cheers tim

I personally think you will be sorry once you hook on to a couple of nice fish ,and having said that your not the only one having an ordinary season it just part of it in my opinion , but if you want to go down that path maybe a 3000 morthan brazino from daiwa may suit the lighter way you want to go when your chasing snaps ,pearlies and the like and they are good on kings up to about 15 kg on 30 lb jigging braid . Just throwing some ideas at you lots of luck ..Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    I personally think you will be sorry once you hook on to a couple of nice fish ,and having said that your not the only one having an ordinary season it just part of it in my opinion , but if you want to go down that path maybe a 3000 morthan brazino from daiwa may suit the lighter way you want to go when your chasing snaps ,pearlies and the like and they are good on kings up to about 15 kg on 30 lb jigging braid . Just throwing some ideas at you lots of luck ..Matt

G'day Matt, decided i can't be f###ed selling the saltiga combo. I'll just drop my leader down to 20lb flurocarbon when chasing Snaps, Pearlies, Cod etc, and then beef it up for dirty fighting fish like kingies, ambo's. A mate of mine has got me keen on taking my combo up to Hervey Bay to fish with Bargy. He fished a spot with him last weekend up near Roonies and said they were getting constantly smoked by brutes, i think i might need to take the combo up there to well and truly blood it, and hopefully extract some of these brutes.

I'll most probably buy another 2-4kg soft plastic combo for bay Snaps, it will also be used for chasing Snaps in shallow water offshore.

cheers tim

Timmy, Timmy, Timmy....I just saw this thread and realised you have lost your way my friend. You have a short memory. Jewfish, jewfish, jewfish!!!!! 30lb leader, 30lb braid, Certate 4000, 7 to 10kg rod. I have never fished SP's with heavier than 30lb leader and you have seen the results. Keep your other rig for trolling and jigging. The only thing I would add to the above is a 2nd lighter rig with 20lb braid and leader for the shallower reefs (20-30m). Although I often get smoked and have to replace with 30lb. You need a weekend of SP therapy up here mate