Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crab pot limit

Crab pot limit

Hi all Folks,

I knew there was a rule for crab pots 4 per person also must be over 16 (in my memory)
    Recently I had a look up in DPI website for refresh memory, bit surprised there is no mentioned age to allow drop crab pots in salt water.
    Anyone please confirm if there is still same rule for age must be over 16 to have 4 crab pots?

Post link would be much appreciated

Re: Crab pot limit

There is no age limit. If you have your 1 week old baby with you, you can add four pots.

Not sure about that Feral. I think that they have to be able to demonstrate that they can operate the trap. But yes, no age limit. I've been asked on the water by a police officer how many pots I had. I had my then 8 year old and said we had 8 pots for the two of us. He was fine with that.

I seem to remember that it is 4 per person regardless of age but at least one of those people needs to be 15 or older??? Is that still the case?
    I know i got revved out as an 8 yr old for running 4 pots on my own in the pine river some 40 yrs ago. The at least one person being 15 was in force then.
    Jack.

Just checked anyway.

Offically.

Note: The age limit for the recreational use of crab apparatus has been removed.

But, still the pots have to have the owners ID details.

Good call feral......

to see for yourselves...

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_3065.htm

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Offically.

Note: The age limit for the recreational use of crab apparatus has been removed.
    Any idea when did that happened?

October 2010.

LP

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    There is no age limit. If you have your 1 week old baby with you, you can add four pots.
    I spoke to a fisheries bloke when this came in, the person has to have the ability to "work" the pot, ie; pull it up etc, the above scenario would not stand up.

CHEERS

VS

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin Sea View Post
    I spoke to a fisheries bloke when this came in, the person has to have the ability to "work" the pot, ie; pull it up etc, the above scenario would not stand up.

CHEERS

VS
    Yes it would.. The legislation clearly states - Also a person must not possess more than four crab apparatus per person, on a boat on the water. Note: The age limit for the recreational use of crab apparatus has been removed.
    A new born baby is classed by law as a "person" It doesn't say anywhere that the person must be able to work it themselves, that is that fisheries officers own opinion and interpretation wouldn't stand up in court with the current wording.

Guys,

Fisheries Officers are guided by the ACT. I could not find the age limit in the ACT.

The DPI&F Recreational Fishing Rules and Regulations are a guide and any enforcement or punishment must be done through the ACT.

This subject certainly needs some clarification. Maybe some-one else can have a look at the ACT and see if they can find it.

http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LE.../FisherA94.pdf

cheers.. LP

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    October 2010.

LP

Philll,

Would you happen to know the day in October 2010?

TOL

Yes, John.......... clue............... it ended in a ' y '.

LP

chopjr has had his own floats since god knows when,,,, 3 or 4 yrs of age,,,, we have never had a problem when pulled in via ranger stacey's,,,, even tho the age limit was dropped in 2010,,, i think your right,,, its the inspectors perception of whether or not your doing something wrong,,,, having a newborn on board and having pots n floats with there ID on them,,,, and getting charged,,,,,,, thats one day i would love to sit in the court room and see how it pans out
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

the rule says no age limit but when i ring the fisheries to ask questions about this,and fish bags limits and children.you often get differing answers from different people.but the most common answer i get from them is that the child has to be able to handle whotever fish or apparatus is needed to be used.the problem i have with this is that if you are fishing with a handicapped child,they dont seem to have the same rights as a fully capable child.my advice is too ring the fishos a couple of times over about a week and see what answers you get.
    support your local commercial fisher,its never too late!!

You can ring the department of primary industries and they log the call and reply.

Personally my boy goes out with me and he is 7. We bring 8 pots but have never caught the legal amount of mud crabs per person, let alone two

Prawning on the other hand, we usually do well with a bucket each. ( He drives the boat while i cast). He does cast with his own net but doesn't catch much.