Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bit annoyed at overseas USA shop

Re: Bit annoyed at overseas USA shop

Quote Originally Posted by chop View Post
    Be wary of having your paypal linked to your bank account. I used paypal about 7 years ago and forgot I had the account until one day last year a chunk of money went missing and it turned out that some person in europe had worked out my password through a gmail account and decided to help themselves. I got the money back and learned a lesson.
    Yeah I am bit suspicious of it since every time I logged in the next day I would receive fraudulent PayPal emails.

But seems Ebay has taken it on so I have to use it for Ebay.

Jarrah Jack wrote:
    MRD I think you've been scammed. Who's to say the braid will turn up in a month? If thats the way they do business you couldn't trust them. I would get the unauthorised transaction reversed if possible and never go back there. There are a lot of good US shops. I've found a few on ebay.

Yes I read the site and it is a well know site in the USA for spectra braid, they have a notice that says they do transactions manually.

$45.00 is over the top for a spool of braid, but anyway, cut my loses and see what happens.

cheers

Ah, but then again, everybody has the right to run at a profit.

If they skim you with the postage, you can always walk away. Case in point.... the people I deal with for my braid, my last order was for 1800m of 80lb braid. Cost me $32 for postage which took 6 weeks. I just ordered two more spools of the same, and I told them I needed it within a week and the postage time for the last one was unacceptable.

No extra cost, being sent registered priority air mail for no extra cost, and will do it that way from now on.... If you are not happy with o/s retailers, talk to them, they want our business.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
    MRD, you don't need funds in your pitty pal account just attach a debit card to the account as a secondary source of funds and it will still process straight away rather than the usual several days to transfer money into pitty pal account.
    That's how I operate as well.

As far as buying from the USA , had a bad experience my self and shipping is a killer.

I always check postage before I buy anything from over seas...
    Sometimes it pays to search a bit harder and get postage FREE for no less coin out of your pocket !!.

Hope it all works out for you.

Cheers
    Brett

Well I have to say it all worked out ok.

Like I said I was disillusioned with the money going from my account but it was explained to me as a a bit of confusion, as the site has different people working in different sections.

I always knew the site was legit and far from shonky as I have seen the name referenced in many US forums.

Well what I actually did was ring them, at about 4am this morning.

I increased my order so the postage was worth it.

All good and very easy phone call, no hassles, it was just like they were down the street.

Seems there is a minimum for certain packages in postage so I just got a few things I needed to make the postage worth while.

Though I still do have an order for 300 yd of braid next month costing me $45 delivery so I might see how many spools I can get for that postage.

cheers

good to hear it turned out well.

Just an update, after all the crap I now know why they do manual transactions, it because they can then neglect the exchange rate, so in fact I am being overcharged.

Cheers

G'day

What's the rate you're being charged?

Dave

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

Hi Dan,

Power Pro spectra braid is selling at a number of well known ebay stores for about $23 a 300yards spool with shipping at $5.00. Next time you are after tackle from the US just PM me and I'll give you the links and info on best shipping method.
    Cheers
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by MudRiverDan View Post
    Just an update, after all the crap I now know why they do manual transactions, it because they can then neglect the exchange rate, so in fact I am being overcharged.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
    G'day

What's the rate you're being charged?

Dave
    Dunno, its only a few bucks, I'm currently trying to source a reel.
    This time I email the site to get full details of whats in stock and payments.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by dayoo View Post
    Hi Dan,

Power Pro spectra braid is selling at a number of well known ebay stores for about $23 a 300yards spool with shipping at $5.00. Next time you are after tackle from the US just PM me and I'll give you the links and info on best shipping method.
    Cheers
    Barry
    Got some Braid thanks Dayoo but will keep it in mind.

Havn't done a whole lot of fishing lately as I am sorting out the gear for winter.

Would you beleive I contacted a well know tackle store (with large online outlet) in Australia today asking about a Van Staal VS 300.

This was how the convo went after the guy said they had them on the shelf:

"I don't get much of a chance to see the size of these reels, I'm wondering what the size difference would be between the 250 and the 300, I don't want to go too big, can you send us a photo of the 300 you got so I can get an idea of size?"

"Sorry we are flat out and don't have time for that kind of thing etc etc"

Wow not even time to take a camera phone snap of the reel in yr hand, these guys obviously don't need my business (asking the full $820.00 too and when I asked for a better price he knocked it down to $800.00, which is the standard RRP in AU anyway).

I'm sourcing one in the USA.

Thanks Dayoo, have sent a few emails will let you know how I go.

Cheers