Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Underrated reels that have impressed you?

Re: Underrated reels that have impressed you?

Quote Originally Posted by Damned67 View Post
    If I could be bothered, I'd pull it apart and take some pics, but that's not the purpose of this thread.
    Someone else beat you to it...

http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/soro.html

A penn spin fisher may not be that under rated to some and value for money they are hard to beat for saltwater use when comparing spin reels. I have seen them outlast dearer reels when used for jigging, bottom bashing, slow trolling livies etc etc. they do it all for a price that you can be happy to toss it out and by a new one without any second thought. A good reel for mates that don't fish that often that you don't want using your good gear

Quote Originally Posted by deepfried View Post
    A penn spin fisher may not be that under rated to some and value for money they are hard to beat for saltwater use when comparing spin reels. I have seen them outlast dearer reels when used for jigging, bottom bashing, slow trolling livies etc etc. they do it all for a price that you can be happy to toss it out and by a new one without any second thought. A good reel for mates that don't fish that often that you don't want using your good gear
    It's a shame that the newer ones are not a patch on the ones available during the 90's ........... but yeh if you had to shove a big spin reel in a mates hand , it wouldn't be a bad choice

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I've been using a 4/0 Everol (red plate) for 35 years without missing a beat, I don't even wash it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    I've been using a 4/0 Everol (red plate) for 35 years without missing a beat, I don't even wash it.
    That's the beauty of being able to buy quality!
    Prolly still worth what you paid for it, too!

Shimano Sedona. I have abused one for years fishing plastics for snapper and I ts still going. Check the drag specs on em. They take more drag than most of the shimano top shelf reels. The 4000 was 90 bucks.

Had a silstar bt 30 that was abused for 10 + years until mate droped it over board and have punished a few pen spin fishers and slammers with heavy braid on tuna and sharks with no problems

Penn Senators. I have a 4/0 113 that was made in the mid 70s, which I recently bought off eBay for $50. They have a massive following over in the states, but a lot of kids my age haven't even heard of them haha.

Cheers,
    Kaidon
    Conservation NOT preservation!

Quote Originally Posted by HeadBanger View Post
    Penn Senators. I have a 4/0 113 that was made in the mid 70s, which I recently bought off eBay for $50. They have a massive following over in the states, but a lot of kids my age haven't even heard of them haha.

Cheers,
    Kaidon

If you think they are a good reel ........... have a look at the Penn 113hn Baja Special.

http://alantani.com/index.php?PHPSES...pf5&topic=14.0

I have a Mitchell 4470 spinning reel that I bought somewhere in the mid to late 70's(best guess), I used and abused that reel for years trolling, spinning lures and bottom bashing. It has been packed away since the early 90's(again best guess). I unpacked it a few weeks back and tested it on my dog. Surprised to say it worked perfectly with the drag as smooth as ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    Anyone who doesnt even wash their reels shouldnt mention it! Ha Ha I loaned a mate one of my Daiwa Saltist overheads recently for a one morning troll. It came back a month later still unwashed and had obviiously been drenched with a lot of spray in the boat. Pulled it apart and removed all the influence of salt water and fortunately no bearings were damaged.

To be real though all reels are basically a lesser or greater glorified winch and it seems to me that all reels retrieve line and whatever is attached to the end. What it feels like in that process is where fishos differ in their personal values of what is a great reel or not. My wife, having wound in my Saltiga Z40 at the reef 2 years ago, has never been happy since, until I got her something as smooth! She is a spin reel person so I have satisfied her with the smoothness of a Shimano Twinpower 6500 PG Sorry if I got off subject a little
    Cheers
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

My shimano symetre 1000. It's on its 2nd rod, which is also snapped... And I can't kill it. Washed it in salt water. Forcibly Held open the bail to cast half pillies that were way to big for it. Fitted it with 6, 8 and 15lb line. Rarely ever looked after it. Dropped it in the sand. Etc etc. And it won't die. Great Little reel. Sits with no line atm as I've just upgraded size to a 2500 daiwa Aird. Would update on that if I had any time on it. But she's only spankas