Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tips for wading through thick deep mud?

Re: Tips for wading through thick deep mud?

Thanks for the tips!
    Least I have a few spots now
    Cheers guys

Quote Originally Posted by TIM D View Post
    Todddo explore land based spots along Tingalpa Ck, i have a spot X along there that has produced plenty of nice Estuary Cod and even a 50cm Mangrove Jack.

cheers tim
    I think I know that spot. There's a spot that would be easily accessable by foot that I've pulled few ECs from, albeit from the canoe/yak/boat. I'd imagine a lot of lost tackle hitting that spot land based, though.
    Todddo, my mate just bought a perception swing kayak off ebay this week for $600. Looking over the auctions, there's been a few Perception Swings sold in that price range recently. They seem to have once been the Gold Standard for fishing yaks. A great yak for the money, if you can wait and find one. I fish my yak in Tingalpa creek all the time (actually, the only place I use the damn thing). Plenty of flatties out of the mouth around the sand bars.

Edit: that yak in your link might be OK for the money, but I'd personally be looking at yaks in the 3.8-4.2m range.
    Check out akff.net/forum

look out for the old Centropogon australis, They will ruin your day

Many years ago I had my yacht anchored in Pacific Creek near Sea Hill at the northern end of Curtis Island. I went for quite a long walk, ate a few dozen oysters on a rocky point and also managed to skewer a massive mud crab with the screwdriver I had taken to open the oysters with. I stuck the big muddie in a bucket I had with me. It was a hot day and I had walked for quite a while and was a bit bushed. I could see the mast of my boat sticking up above the mangroves about a km away so instead of walking back the long way I decided to take a shortcut across a large expanse of salt pan and made a beeline for the boat. Not a very good idea.. I thought the mangrove belt would have been about ten metres or so across. Turned out it was closer to 100 metres and after a bit of struggling through the knee to almost waist deep sludge I was finding life a bit difficult. Too far in to go back so got on my stomach and slithered along like a crocodile while still hanging onto the plastic bucket. The mangrove roots didn't feel too good on my belly and I was expecting to come nose to nose with a croc. Anyway I made it to the boat and still had the muddie in the bucket when I got there. Depite being an unusual method of locomotion it got me there much easier than trying to wade. All good fun!! No more short cuts from then on...