Thread: Anyone using a Personal Locator Beacon?

Anyone using a Personal Locator Beacon?

Im thinking of buying a personal locator beacon to have in addition to my epirb. The epirb wont be much help if I fall out of the boat. Does anyone have any advice on what to look out for?

Im thinking of the Kannad over the GME for the size advantage. I expect to wear this PLB and an inflatable life jacket while fishing at night, so size and comfort is important.

Do they all use a belt pouch, or do some attach to the inflatable?

Does replacement battery cost vary much?

cheers
    Andrew
    Fishing- It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit.

Re: Anyone using a Personal Locator Beacon?

Yes mate, I've used one for my PWC which I take offshore often (clipped to my vest) and I transfer it to my tinnie when I go across the bay to Moreton.

I've only had it for a couple months, but THANKFULLY, not had to use it! lol

Mine is a "Fast Find". It's bright yellow, floats, has an optional belt/vest clip, has a std lanyard, and is about the size of a mobile phone but twice as thick. You'll be pinpointed to within 70 metres via GPS.

A blurb from an email re it's specs....

Subscription free and no call charges
    406 MHz international messaging
    5 year replaceable battery
    Simple 3-stage activation
    Meets AS/NZ 4280.2:2003 standards
    SOS Morse LED flash light
    Min 24 hours continuous operation
    50 Channel integral GPS

Andrew, I use a PLB and life vest when fishing alone (in addition to EPIRB). I went with a GME because of the long battery life. Also make sure you get one with GPS, if you're floating around you probably want everything in your favour.

tm

I used to have one of the old style ones (still do actually). I plan to buy one of the new style ones with GPS now they have come down to a reasonable price. Good to have clipped to you, especially for night work.

We also use them offshore sailing and in the bush. Many of them don't float so make sure the lanyard is around a secure point on your harness where it can't come off. They definately don't float upright so are obviously better if held. They need manual activation. GPS will help narrow the search especially where the search involves private boats that don't have radio direction finders. Small waterproof VHF radio is the other thing a few of have for emergencies and we all have water activated strobe lights on thé jackets. Even if in the water unconcious you can be seen. In the bush we have waterproof led torch with strobe. Problem with PLB is after activation you don't know if someone is responding - with a VHF you can call and get response and even call the boat you fell off. Yep people keep your bloody radios turned on and learn how to use em.

You probably know but the personal ones don't stop the requirement for a full size boat one. Just thought I'd mention it so people don't get the wrong idea.

A few people should get together and do a bulk buy at a discount rate of PLB , strobe and WP VHF you might save a fair bit.

What sort of distance will a Handheld VHF cover? Our VMR closes at night in Hervey Bay, and only Bundaberg is open at night. My last handheld radio (cheapy) was only good for 2-3 kms at water level, and the batteries rusted it out after 6-8 mths. As I fish solo, I cant just radio my own boat, so I need a VHF to cover about 50kms

Water activated strobelight sounds like a good idea.

For those that dont know, most PLBs will only float in the neoprene or plastic pouch they come in, they do not float once they are in use. They need to be held high by hand, and they assume you are in a concious position to do that. EPIRBS are designed to float, PLBs are not.

cheers
    Andrew

cheap ones are 1 wat but good ones ar 5 watt. Yep aerial size and height make a huge difference but if a yacht with it mounted on mast is about gives height or flybridge cruiser. Support dinghy to dinghy when running racing we are about 5km apart to base. That is alot of water in a big circle to possibly get someone local to where you felll out. Some now have GPS built in and we have them in a watrproof pouch as I reckon nothing is really waterproof. Prices must be down with the Aussieding so well too.

thx cormorant, thats good advice. Ive decided to add a handheld vhf to the plb. Im gonna go with the Standard Horixon hx852s, which has strobe and gps, fully waterproof for 30 mins. $260 on ebay.

It cant hurt to have a vhf in the water with you. A voice on the other end would be very comforting in the dark, if Im in the drink. Beats talking to the sharks, lol.

Now I'll have to wear 2 devices on the utility belt.

Take a look at this range of gear - excellent stuff.

http://www.sea-safe.com.au/

Kevin is located in Brisbane.

Cheers

Pete