Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cooking mud crabs

Re: Cooking mud crabs

My advice if boiling crabs is to bring the salt water home from the creek and add about half a handful of rock salt to it also, the bit extra salt i reckon makes them a little sweeter and i have never had a salty tasting crab that's my opinion and that's how i cook all my crabs never had a complaint yet

Once you boil water too 100'c. Doesn't that mean all the bacteria are dead

Quote Originally Posted by timddo View Post
    Once you boil water too 100'c. Doesn't that mean all the bacteria are dead
    True but it won't neutralize the toxin, that's why you can't get rid of cigutera.

mud crab means exactly that dirty bottom feeding mangrove mud dwellers
    not to mention how dirty the water is they live in.
    better leave them all for me
    i love them.
    hell i use a mobile phone i'm not scared by salt water.
    thanks for cooking tips.
    any other family favourite tips out there?

if boiling crabs i cook em in tap water and a couple of spoons of instant coffe. the coffee doesn't flavour them at all but the kitchen smells a lot better. imo it doesn't matter whether you cook in fresh or in salt. its all about the slurry you put them in when they are done. not salty enough add salt to the slurry, too salty add fresh water. i cooked prawns on trawlers for years in salt water but they didn't get any salty flavour until they had been in the brine tanks for a while. when eaten hot from the cooker there was no discernible salt in them at all.

cheers
    davo
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

I love my crabs and so does the wife,which is a bonus cause when she gets a craving then im heading for the coast!! We generally tie the crabs and put them in the freezer for 1/2 an hour before cooking, if no seawater then its not the end of the world, cook on the boil for ten to fifteen depending on size or number in the pot, then cool, we usually eat what we can straight from the crab then shell the rest, next comes crab chowder, then crab n corn fritters, then cold crab salad with calamari and prawns, until the crab runs out! Just love em

The Best muddies I had were cooked on coals.A shovel full of coals off to the side of a fire,drop it on its back and turn over when orange.The meat skins over and all the juices are kept in the meat.Try it and I am sure you will all enjoy the flavour.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by sportfish58 View Post
    The Best muddies I had were cooked on coals.A shovel full of coals off to the side of a fire,drop it on its back and turn over when orange.The meat skins over and all the juices are kept in the meat.Try it and I am sure you will all enjoy the flavour.
    Cheers
    Exactly right boys in Sydney we rarely get crabs so I try and make the most of them next time wrap in foil whole and on top of dying coal or a hooded BBQ for 30min you will never boil again . Crab boil in its own juices unlike boiling water is taking away all flavour