Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ebay flooded with cheap braid

Re: Ebay flooded with cheap braid

If it wasn't for this cheap rods,reels and line many would drop out of fishing.Just getting harder finding fish these days.

Spend $100+ on a rod $100+ on a reel but balk at paying $50 for quality line- That's why 10% of fishermen catch 90% of fish right there.

Everybody loves pictures.

First fish landed using the cheapo eBay braid.

18kg jewfish.
    7ft $45 abu garcia muscle tip 8-10kg.
    Fin nor Biscayne fs70. $79
    200m approx of 50lb sealion braid.

Albright knot used to tie on 1.5m of 40lb black magic flurocarbon leader.

Happy fishing everyone.

Damo's dodgy boat building factory.
    Damo's dodgy boat repairs.
    1993 bermuda by Haines 530f - completed resto.
    1976 cruisecraft rogue 14 - estuary weapon.
    1984 vickers easyrider 156 - future project.

Quote Originally Posted by dudley View Post
    If you are really concerned, get on to paulus fishing website. Paulus tests braid and mono. He has the proper instruments and the knowledge to do it. You will be surprised at the name brands and the "ebay" stuff. I have sent him samples over the years to test which he puts on his website. One braid i use is the spectra/pelagic brand 10lb. It breaks at over 20lb test, but like all braids, the dia is larger than stated. Nothing to lose so have a look. You can sort by manufacturer or breaking strain. Where i need it to really count, i can't go past tasline. Tested over and over again on the portland bluefin.
    This is one of the only posts to look at. Check out Paulus fishing you will learn a lot. I know I did when I first found his site many years ago. I know so so many people using the cheap eBay braid as it was called and I have never heard one person complain till I read this. I have had many problems with bought from the shop braid and mono in my life which was what brought me to Paulus fishing. I had braid made for me from a high quality spectra fibre ( there is many different qualities) of an 8 strand variety. Now I suggest you go try find 8 strand braid under 50lb on eBay at a cheap price. That you will not. I only use 8 strand for a multitude of reasons. You can also buy cheap 4 strand braid from your local shop for about $30 for 300m keep in mind this is probably 100% dearer than eBaybecause you are paying another middleman. Braid is all about the quality of fibre and the process used to make it.

Jerry Brown 30lb, non-hollow at US$165 for 2500m of 30lb.

Have used it for the last 6-7 years. Thin, supple and not too bad with wind knots (on long lure casts). Have had the same line on the 6500 size spin/lure reel for the last 3 years. Put it front to back last year. fades, but line strength not compromised.

If the price seems a bit high for a lot of line, get together with some mates.

Regards, Rob.

Forgot to say, 'Cabbage Creek rod and reel'.

When buying off E-bay, even a brand labeled as Powerpro may not be genuine item. I bought a 1500yd 65lb spool of a E-bay seller and it was atrocious, the line was joined in several places with tags sticking out of it, it was horribly spooled with countless large loops under the surface where the line wasn't tensioned properly, the colour came off and coated the rollers on my game rod with a green film. I contacted the seller who said "you are too fussy, you want perfect line without defects". needless to say I was stunned.

Anyway I contacted the Shimano distributor and gave them the sellers details as this was clearly an imported counterfeit product, and they didn't really want to know about it, seems that they didn't care if someone was counterfeiting their brand label and putting it on a crappy product, which would give their reputation a bad name. Other spools of Powerpro bought from the States have been fine, even a couple of no name brands. So it looks like it is a bit of a hit or miss affair.

Just got back from Stanage, bought some "cheap spectra braid" and put on my communal rods and reals, including two 4500 baitrunners, tld 25, Penn 330gt2, bought brand name braid and put on a new tld20! The brand name braid went to crap and broke at the slightest pull, I gave it my youngfella to use, it did the same for him, he changed to one of the baitrunners and pulled a 7 kg red out of 45 m with the cheap braid! Who knows how long its been sitting on the shelf? I've found that once braid reaches the end of its life it starts breaking easily!

I buy Jarvis Walker hooks from kmart.... $10 for 50 6/0's... My mate laughs at me as he only uses Gamakatsu's... I use once and throw away and i catch just as many fish as he does... Ive seen him spend 10 minutes trying to retrieve his two hook rig out of the throat of a 10 kilo Wobbegong... on one particular night at Mud when the fish were on he lost more than 20 hooks... i thought he was going to cry.... I don't skimp on quality line though... haven't found a cheapy that out performs quality but would switch if i could find one.
    Cheers
    Salty

Quote Originally Posted by salty23 View Post
    I buy Jarvis Walker hooks from kmart.... $10 for 50 6/0's... My mate laughs at me as he only uses Gamakatsu's... I use once and throw away and i catch just as many fish as he does... Ive seen him spend 10 minutes trying to retrieve his two hook rig out of the throat of a 10 kilo Wobbegong... on one particular night at Mud when the fish were on he lost more than 20 hooks... i thought he was going to cry.... I don't skimp on quality line though... haven't found a cheapy that out performs quality but would switch if i could find one.
    Cheers
    Salty
    Haha ive got 10ft bronzeys to the boat on those exact hooks. They are great.

Ive snapped a lot of 10/0 gamas but never snapped those cheapies. Go figure haha