Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ebay flooded with cheap braid

Re: Ebay flooded with cheap braid

cant recall the brand name but it was a jigging braid that bcf have locked up, very expensive and well know braid, 80lbcoulor coded stuff and i could break it with myh hands. i guess even well known brands have faults too.

If youse are looking to get braid cheaper try amazon.com they have it all and dont forget its in USD.

http://www.amazon.com/Daiwa-Samurai-...9297994&sr=1-1

Lucas

I do a fair bit of deep water fishing out on the shelf and have tried the cheap braid off ebay. Have never had a problem with it yet

Quote Originally Posted by skinss View Post
    I got some of this on ebay Berkley Nanofil Spinning Line - 4 lb.and 6 lb Clear Mist, 150 Yards $14.97 post $3.24 Aus dolls.. bought 2only charged me for 1post$3.24..thats half the price than what it is 2buy it in australia..hes name on ebay... brad.at.jbc.outfitters
    I guess with everything if you search long enough you'll get a great deal.
    However, if you look at all his lures, they're basically bought and onsold...... same photos from another website in some cases! Best bet is to get a group together and bulk buy.

I've tried a few but never had a break, but they are mostly thick, color washes out quickly, and noisy. Now I use them as spool fill and finish off with Daiwa Samurai braid or . I buy these on EBay USA at very good prices.
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

I guess the difference between $69.95 for 300m of braid and $10 to $15 for Ebay line has its appeal
    I like the Power Pro line plus a couple of others that are great quality. But yeah there is a lot of rubbish out there but shop around or ask someone who buys it for their opinion.
    One way of picking good quality braid is wrap the braid around your hand a few times and pull it tight. If it cuts into your hand easily(you dont have to pull it hard enough to give yourself stitches) (and doesnt break) its the high quality fibre.
    Dont try this with your lure in the water as I had a mate that chucked a jew lure out way back and tried to pull a loop of loose line out with his hand when a sizable jew grabbed the lure, Wasnt pretty!!

I thought I would update this thread with some photos.

I bought 300m of sea lion 50lb multi coloured jigging braid to replace a faded bionic pink 50lb that was short one end.

The line is setup on my offshore spinning reel. Fin nor Biscayne 70. Only a basic setup but has landed some nice red emperors and coral trout no worries.

A few noticeable differences.
    Definitely thicker. Not by much. But it was thicker.
    Here it is side by side with bionic.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407257979.709610.jpg
    I was unable to get the full 300m onto my spool without backing. At a guess 200m max.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407258054.171860.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1407258068.183299.jpg

A large diameter spool which arrived quickly. $20 delivered from a Melbourne eBay account.

I rigged my standard fluorocarbon 60lb leader to this new braid and it tied an Albright knot better than my bionic. Seemed like the corse nature of the braid "bit" into each other and held fast. When I went to cut this braid with a pair of good quality scissors it took 2-3 goes at it. Creating a fluffy end. In comparison the bionic being cut in 1 go.

The negatives so far are minimal but I did notice that some of the colouring dye was left on my fingers after guiding it onto the reel.
    Damo's dodgy boat repairs.
    1993 bermuda by Haines 530f - completed resto.
    1976 cruisecraft rogue 14 - estuary weapon.
    1984 vickers easyrider 156 - future project.

I buy a fair amount of cheap 200lb braid off ebay......use it for setout lines at work because you can tension the hell out of it and the wind doesnt affect it half as much.

That being said though, some of the cheap braid is good stuff.
    I have a reel loaded with "Hawk" branded 12lb braid, I have tested it to be breaking at 13-15 lb so its test isn't way out of whack....it is 3 strand and feels ropey but still good to use after ten plus years now. Knots very well, soft and supple, casts well and is a neutral colour.

I have tried many many brands on the market and most fall below the mark that Hawk sets.

Best line I have ever used is Tasline All White series.......I have 12 plus reels loaded with it these days.
    Jack.

I have to agree about the Tasline white. It took me a while to be convinced but I look at all my go to reels and they all have it now. I note with interest that after many years of having difficulty in finding a mainstream market for the brand that the big place in Coffs Harbour now have it as a stocked item.
    Regards to all Dick

Quote Originally Posted by GABBA110360 View Post
    have you actually tried any of this cheap crap braid?
    from what i understand there are only a handfull of braid manufactures in the world and there are a hundred different brands of braid
    i bought 500 mtrs of sea lion braid and for 29 bucks for 10 lb it seems ok
    cheers ken
    Yes I sure have, I got 1200M of "cheap" 100lb braid for deep drop lining, after only 1 or 2 drops it went all sort of 'fluffy" and I had to chuck it away, it ended up breaking with nearly no weight on it, I will give e-bay crap a miss form now on.

I've been using the spectra extreme braid (Ebay China) in 6lb and 10lb for a couple of years now and have no complaints at all. It gets well tested as I fish almost every weekend. At about $12 for 300 metres, I think it's good value.

Never had a problem with cheapo eBraid, had issues with Tuff Line though which I find not so tuff after a few trips. Used to pay big bucks for 65lb Power Pro and 50lb Jerry Brown, they're good. Would never touch Fire Line again for the lower poundages.
    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

If you are really concerned, get on to paulus fishing website. Paulus tests braid and mono. He has the proper instruments and the knowledge to do it. You will be surprised at the name brands and the "ebay" stuff. I have sent him samples over the years to test which he puts on his website. One braid i use is the spectra/pelagic brand 10lb. It breaks at over 20lb test, but like all braids, the dia is larger than stated. Nothing to lose so have a look. You can sort by manufacturer or breaking strain. Where i need it to really count, i can't go past tasline. Tested over and over again on the portland bluefin.

Some of the cheap ebay braid is not too bad I have a few reels spooled with cheap ebay spectra and the braid has been fine for years. It is usually way under rated and much heaver and thicker for its set strength however. Yet to this day the absolute worst braid I have ever used was a fancy jigging daiwa braid that cost nearly $100 for 300m. It became unusable in a couple of trips and I could snap 30lb with my hands. So its not always about price or name.

The 80lb stuff I've been buying is faultless. 40 odd bucks for 1000m. That right 1000m replace it every season and sure it loses colour a bit but strong as hell. The Stella will give up before the line cheap braid will.