Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Building 23' catamaran. Build updates

Re: Building 23' catamaran. Build updates

The way a Sarca is designed the attach point shackle is fitted to a slot that would change the leverage position on the anchor (to a position right the way forward up to the plough end) when the chain is gathered in, or by retrieving chain until right on top of the anchor. The boat is then driven forwards to place lifting force at the plough end and dislodge it from the bottom. This is all well and good until you break a shackle or, in our instance we have no idea why the anchor became detatched from the shackle/chain (the shackle was checked by both of us before we launched the boat at Little Beach that morning and was quite firmly tight) but after this we started using a seperate trip line.

Now I'll say at the outset that what we do may not suit your set-up or you may think is a complete overkill but hey, it works for us!

It is a bona fide PITA to manage in a good sea but made easier as we had both a capstan winch (for the main anchor chain/12mm rope duties) as well as a second compartment in the bow large enough to house a 75M (we figured we wouldn't be trying to anchor in much deeper water anyway) of 10mm silver rope and a small orange mooring bouy. We've got our own way of dropping the anchor - it starts with the helm communicating the depth in feet to the sucker (usually me) dropping the anchor at his direction. Our main rope is graduated with different coloured thread every ten feet, so I always know how much is out. The anchor goes over the bow sprit but the trip rope goes through one of the side fairleads at the same time. When the anchor rope goes slack (we have around 10M of chain on the anchor) I pull about 10-15 feet of rope back (I don't pull it all the way back as it would both break contact with the bottom and by doing it this way we have a built-in allowance in it for rising tide) and attach the bouy using a carabina through a quick doubled loop in the trip rope. This serves to hold the rope vertical but there is a down side to this as you'll see in a sec....

Both lines are let out and the anchor is then set with the right amount of scope to suit the conditions. You'll gather by now that the bitter end of the trip rope is not attached to anything but in fact lays out on the surface if you have bought a floating rope. The danger here is that all it takes is another less observant type to drive their boat in between you and your anchor bouy (which has happened to us once when we were first trying this way) and I have no idea how they didn't foul our trip line but they didn't!

I wouldn't suggest this way unless it is very foul ground you're trying to anchor over and you are not expecting too much company to join you in close proximity.

Retrieving the anchor is easy enough as it will bring you directly over your trip line as you do so. A lot of stuffing around (too much to do it single handed really) the way we anchor but we only ever fish together on that boat so it works for us as we've been boating waaaayyy too many years now....

I can see what you're trying to achieve and don't mind the way you've got your tie straps set up (I'd probably use a strong sacrificial wire tie though instead of the plastic tie straps) as ultimately you're still firmly and mechanically attached to your anchor at all times. I might suggest that if you were to keep using the tie straps then you would benefit from reducing to a very low value the amount of shock loading going on the chain from the boat at anchor (boat moving about with wave/wind action jerking on the anchor line). Half a dozen plumbers 6 inch clay pipe o-rings looped together should act as a good bungy. The horizontal pull on the chain wouldn't disturb the lay of the chain on the bottom and not put any force sideways on the tie straps so you will still keep horizontal tension on the chain/anchor while in use. A lot of force can be on an anchor when it is firmly embeded in the sea floor, those tie straps might not quite be strong enough for the windage of your cat (my opinion only...).

Dave.

Thanks Dave,
    What size anchor are you using and on what size boat (windage, displacement etc.)

Steve,
    S&S34
    Spirited 230

In a word AWESOME
    Tight lines <*)(((((((((><

Loading to Launch

After examining many alternatives, I decided (thanks Chimo) that getting a trailer that was made for the boat under her would be the kindest option for transport to the water. In addition to getting it to the water, I vowed to know exactly what this boat weighs. Good thing too because my estimates were way off!

The other NSW Spirited 230 was sitting in a brokerage yard about 70km's north of here. The owner agreed to let us use her trailer, however we also needed to borrow a Nissan Patrol from a friend of Phils as a tow vehicle. That all settled the original boat put in a pen, the trailer inspected and registerd, we were ready to roll.

1st stop was the weigh bridge on Sparks Rd to weigh the empty trailer. I was guessing 400Kg. Actual weight of the Felk trailer with disc brakes on only one axle? 640Kg! Surprise, surprise but more to come!

Here's some pictures of the loading process--winching the trailer under the boat and the last picture is of us on the way back to the weigh bridge to weigh the boat on the trailer. Actual weight of boat and trailer? 1660Kg. This is without fluids, motors, or gear. Now all of you have who have said the boat would weigh much more the 600Kg I was claiming were right! I was wrong! The actual weight of the empty boat sans motors is 1020 Kg.

Still.....with the motors on she should float on her lines

Ready to Winch.jpgGetting There.jpgFully On.jpgCulvert Obstruction.jpgCulverts on Both Sides.jpgOn the Way to the Water.jpgFloating At Last.jpg

Last edited by stevemid; 13-03-2014 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Credit to Chimo
    S&S34
    Spirited 230

Great stuff mate, she's in the drink and looks spot on. Congratulations!

Makes the Patrol look like a matchbox car!
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by FisHard View Post
    Makes the Patrol look like a matchbox car!
    I think that is a bit of optical illusion cuz most of the pics have the boat closer to the camera, except the last one. What a nice vehicle thoug: 4.2L non turbo diesel. 400,000 + km and still ran like a top
    S&S34
    Spirited 230

Stevemid

Not too late to fit a turbo, an oil cooler and a timer and if the boost is a reasonable 7psi there is still a 40% increase in kw ie 85 up to 130 and a 40% inc in torque. make one hell of a difference. MyTD4.2 turbo GQ should be run in sooner or later. Just sorted out the intermittent fault in the cruise control. Corroded pins in a connector. Only fitted it in about '92, stuff just doesn't last like it used to.

The boat looks good on the trailer and ditto on the pond. Not a bad price for the trailer given what it is. Given the investment in the boat it wouldn't be over capitalizing to stick the same under it instead of worrying about it on the mooring, except for short spells?

Next week for sea trials I guess?

Can you put up a post with pics when the flat pack arrived and one of the completed unit with motors fitted? Be a nice contrast IMHO.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by stevemid View Post
    Thanks Dave,
    What size anchor are you using and on what size boat (windage, displacement etc.)

Steve,
    We're using a 6kg super sarca on a 575 cruisecraft (half cab).

Very stoked you've shared the whole journey with us and she really looks the goods now. Should sit nicely with the weight going on the stern! Dunno what it is about a boat that just looks... right.

Kudos to you Steve!

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    Stevemid

Not too late to fit a turbo, an oil cooler and a timer and if the boost is a reasonable 7psi there is still a 40% increase in kw ie 85 up to 130 and a 40% inc in torque. make one hell of a difference. MyTD4.2 turbo GQ should be run in sooner or later. Just sorted out the intermittent fault in the cruise control. Corroded pins in a connector. Only fitted it in about '92, stuff just doesn't last like it used to.
    Just the torque increase alone is worth the price of admission for a snail on a good fourby. My uncle recently did some extensive mods to his 80 series Cruiser wagon to tow a 5th wheeler van (seriously extensive mods like turning it into a 4 door alloy tray ute etc) and he also turboed the diesel and fitted an LPG booster system to it. I don't know the power/torque figures off hand but I would imagine the improvements (he did the whole thing properly and rebuilt the engine and driveline to be specific to the use of the vehicle)would equate to a very capable tow vehicle.

Dave

It looks real sweet on the water Steve congradulations on the move and launch,you have show how its done in real style from flat pack to launch,cheers chris

Cool Everything takes more time than you'd think

I thought: "drop the boat off on Wednesday, get everything going on Thrusday, finish and sea trial on Friday. Not so fast masked man.

On Thursday, nobody looked at the boat. They said they'd do it on Friday. So I had plenty to do myself, both on the boat and finalising the shed and reorganising my 5 pound garage to hold 10 pounds of shite from the shed. But I tottered back to the marina Friday morning expecting to see nothing but arseholes and elbows working on my boat. Not so. Me: "So Mr. Manager, lets have a look at those motors." He: "Aw I haven't ordered them yet. Me: (I'd get banned for printing what came next out of my mouth.) Manager: "Well we don't need the slipway until Wednesday so....." Me: also ban-able material.

Frankly I was so thrashed out from all the stress of getting the boat out of the paddock and rushing to empty out the shed, that it was some relief that I had the weekend to build some shelving in the garage to take the incoming. So Monday AM I turned up back at the marina at about 10AM. (I am slow but I do learn.) Behold, holes already drilled in the mounting boards, and 30 minutes later the marina ute and trailer pulls up with 6 Yammies on the back! Monday was spent assembling the motors, putting on the bullhorn rams etc and running hydraulic lines from the steering pump. Today, both motors got mounted (top hole as high as they will go with the cav plate now about 50mm above the bottom of the sponsons.) Sharkcat owners say 70mm up is the starting point but this is as high as I can go without some type of lift plate. (Solas have some new "C" shaped 4" set-back units that give you up 2.5" of rise so we will see what happens when we hit the water. So tomorrow we will have to connect up the cabling to the engines and the battery cables from the engines to termination posts I've set up in the sterns. Then, if we haven't lost the tide, she'll go in the water.

In all fairness, there was a lot more to rigging the engines than I thought. AS USUAL!!! I do recall that my first estimated date of completion was March 2013! And as early as last November I was still thinking of getting out to watch the start of the Sydney Hobart. Oh well, estimating is obviously not my strong suit.
    In Crate.jpgBolts going in.jpgWeight on Transom.jpgIMG_1889.jpgIMG_1890.jpg
    PS the Yamaha technician was really appreciative of the conduits.
    S&S34
    Spirited 230

Re: Everything takes more time than you'd think

not long now, cant wait to see pics of her underway. A few beers that day I'm sure :-)

Re: Everything takes more time than you'd think

13 7/8 x 14" prop 31.4 nm/hr @ 6300 rpm
    . .
    Ride: awesome. Slipped through wake waves of another boat without taking notice.
    Steve
    S&S34
    Spirited 230

Great to here Steve no dout your a very happy man,have you put 2x70hp on it,just going by the max rpm and are you sticking with the engine height?