Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Building 23' catamaran. Build updates

Re: Building 23' catamaran. Build updates

Wheelhouse floors, hatches, and layout.

Chimo, I don't even think the other Spirited 230 has put it on the market yet. I need to talk to her about doing sea trials as I'm dying to know the performance of the Honda 4st 40HP's.
    Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

This build is a real credit to you Steve and I am loving reading through the thread as it goes along. We built a 23' trailer sailer about 15 years ago in strip plank WRC and enjoyed the challenge and it turned out a treat and was very quick. With regards to setting a completion date, we use to say it would be finish on Sunday. Just never specified which one. Yep, it got launched on a Sunday and took 18mths to build part time.

All the best and look forward to the continual read and perhaps seeing it in the flesh one time.

Steve

I began construction of the galley this week. This started out as a 3 metre long face plate and two "L" shaped pieces which form a shelf and the top of the cabinet. The faceplate starts against the starboard hull side and wraps around the shelf. It is kerfed to effect a 180 degree bend around the return and then kerfed on the opposite side of the "L" to effect a 90 degree bend and finishes against the aft wheelhouse bulkhead. Here's a picture of the faceplate showing the location of the kerfs and what it looks like installed

FacePlate.jpg

Galley Cabinet.jpg
    Return.jpg
    Before setting this up I routered out and filled openings for 4 cabinet access hatches using this procedure in the following picture. The router only takes out the top skin of glass and the core material leaving the inner glass skin. A perfect line is then drawn in the centre of the fill area and the doors cut out leaving a perfectly fitting flush door.
    Door detail.jpg
    Cabinet door openings.jpgCabinet door cutout line.jpg

I have now glassed the shelf and the top to the faceplate. Next week I'll remove the cabinet to the bench where I'll finish taping the joins. Then I'll fair the lot, cut out the cabinet doors, and install it back in the boat taping it to the galley floor and the hullsides.
    Last edited by stevemid; 14-01-2013 at 07:25 AM. Reason: typo

Hi Steve,
    I have read all of your posts concerning this build after having come across the Ausfish forum while searching the web for more info on the Spirited 230. I have been considering this design for quiet a while and will be following your future build updates routinely. I am also an ex yachtie and was wondering why you chose the outboard version as against the diesel shaft driven inboard version (e.g., a yanmar 55hp)? Thanks again for your posts and I cant wait for your review once launched.
    Tarn

Diesel wasn't an option, to my knowledge at the time I bought. The Arvor 20 with its diesel single screw was the boat that originally got me started thinking about an economical fishing boat.

if you'd like a discussion you might start a thread on how a single diesel can be implemented on a cat and the trade offs involved. It sounds good to me, but there is heaps of experience on this forum. I'm sure someone would question the HP
    Steve

Well, while you bas%$rds have been out fishin', I've been seeing to it that I have a permanently cool spot for for my toohey's newies.

The problem I had to solve with the fridge is that the cabinet for it is only 335mm deep. This meant a normal fridge was going to stick out into the walkway. Since I don't like a front opening fridge anyway, I decided to build in a top loader. The deepest I could have it was 235mm taking off 50mm front and back for insulation. So I made it 235X400X750=70 litres.

The other problem I had is it's practically impossible to mount an evaporator inside an already built top loader. So I decided to build mine with the back off, then fair and paint (all but the joining edges of the back panel), then install the evaporator, Then install the back and lastly cove, fair and paint the join lines for the back.

I bought a sheet of 50mm green urethane foam from FGI. I have a mate who works in a timbre yard with a big sliding panel table saw and we used this to get the foam sections cut perfectly rectangular. I then glassed one side of each panel and glued the front and sides into the cabinet. I then cut out the opening for the access lid and installed a solid frame to keep the top from falling into the fridge. Then I press fit the top insulation panel into place and cut out the opening to this with a jigsaw and sanded it to round the edges. I then glued, glassed and faired the top insulation panel.

This done I then painted the lot except for the masked off 20mm strips where the back had to be coved in to join with the sides, top and bottom.

I bought an Isotherm refrigeration kit from Keogh's Marine and installed the evaporator on glued in 20mm mounting strips made from 8 layers of glass. (The single layer of glass covering the foam wouldn't have been enough to hold a screw.

Finally, I glued in the back and had a great time reaching into the fridge blind to cove the corners. The join with the top was especially tricky since I couldn't see it. (I ended up taking pictures with the phone to inspect the work in progress. One of these shots shows the shaped top opening.

Fun and games.

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

Like the fridge Steve. It seems to be going well. How goes the trailer and car / truck hunt?
    Still planning on being finished on Sunday?

When you started these were not out yet, it looks interesting but for the $s http://www.arvor.com.au/weekender/

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Hey Steve. Love the build. Balsa is a great product to work with.

What paint did you use inside the fridge? Just curious as I would like to build an esky out of epoxy soon and want a durable finish inside.

Cheers Damo.
    Damo's dodgy boat repairs.
    1993 bermuda by Haines 530f - completed resto.
    1976 cruisecraft rogue 14 - estuary weapon.
    1984 vickers easyrider 156 - future project.

Chimo, Yep, still working toward Sunday for completion. I've stopped looking for tow vehicle/trailer. What I've spent so far plus what I know I have to spend just recently went over what I had set aside for the build. I'm currently at about 80K, with insurance, shed and tools about 10k of that. I suppose they want, what about 120 for the 23.5 ft Arvor?

Damo, I used the 2 pack Alexseal that I bought to paint the boat. It is nice and shines like crazy so should be easy to clean. I also used this in the toilet enclosure for the same reason. I'm sure any 2pack would be equally good.

BTW what kind of paint would you guys use in an anchor locker?

Steve

They seem to be asking 115 for the Arvor Weekender and to that you would need instruments and some stainless to support the sunbrella from the back of the cab to the stern. Cruisat 18 tops out at 22 kn. Whats a 150 Cummins like? Instruments, how long is a bit of string these days. Bimini probably a couple of K. Guess you up for the same with yours especially if your heading up this way.

Anchor locker, why not some weather shield gloss off the house and line it with square holed camping flooring to absorb the bangs. Then you can at least empty it out and dry it as needed between trips plus see if theres any touch up work needed.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Flowcoat it steve. Thicker than paint and harder.

Stewey

Quote Originally Posted by Stewey View Post
    Flowcoat it steve. Thicker than paint and harder.

Stewey
    So will flowcoat which is polyester, stick ok to epoxy-based fairing compound?
    Steve

Hey Steve Great build I have watched quietly for a while now and it just occurred to me that the build anniversary is next Wednesday happy birthday mate in advance

Thanks Stu,
    Actually, I've been thinking a lot about the anniversary coming up and have been pushing to get a lot done by the date. (crazy, I know) I even pushed out the date to 1 March in my mind because there was quite a bit of work to do on the shed starting on 1 Feb. I went back to the pictures and the time stamp on the 1st picture of the kit is 23 Feb...so that's the date.

For the first six months, used to tell people that I spent 1/3 of my time figuring out how to do something, a third of the time doing it, and a third fixing screw-ups. Now I'm mostly 100% productive so things are going faster. I reckon I'll finish the cabin, including rough fairing, prior to the 23rd. I put in the galley cabinet yesterday and rough fit the helm station, the last bit of the cabin- so rewarding seeing it all come together.
    Steve

So will flowcoat which is polyester, stick ok to epoxy-based fairing compound?Steve
    In short Steve, Yes.

This may be of some help to you.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/polyester-over-epoxy

Stewey