Thread: Long Day at Harry's

Long Day at Harry's

First report for a while, or so it would seem.
    Launched from Manly somewhere between 4.30-5am (who knows at that time of the morning) for a solo run to Harry's. I need to find some friends or family that are stupid enough to get up that early with me.
    Headed to my usual haunt out there, which is some great structure AWAY from all the other boats. I've been having really good success lately on the 5" Gulp Crazy Legs in New Penny, so that was the first plastic to be tried. Spooling it down to the depths on the very first drop, and it got well and truly hammered. After a nice, clean fight on 10lb leader, up comes a nice 72cm Snapper. Not bad for the first drop!
    Next drop, I'm hooked up again. A smaller model, but I'd have called it for one in the 50's. Sadly, the loop knot on my jighead separated. Guess I should have checked it after the first fish.
    Anyway, that was it for a VERY long time.
    Even pulled out the baitrunner and some burley to kill some time.
    Baitrunner finally goes off (well, kinda) with a close-to or just-legal squire, and half way into reeling it in, the plastics rod that I put down got absolutely slammed. I'm calling it for a big, big snapper. Still on the 10lb line, it took way more that I was getting back. I was surprised at how much it had in it. It would take a long run, I'd start to get some line back, and then it'd be off again. 2 steps forward, 1 step back. Then he made it home. Leader was busted half way along its length.
    I then waited for the next tide change at midday for my next bite, a 65cm Mulloway. Also had what I presume to be a mackerel take a plastic from my deadsticked rod. Didn't even see the tip bounce, but the line went limp. No more jighead.
    Anyway, called it stumps at about 1.00pm and headed home with a single (but nice) fish in the esky, which became some fish burritos shared with close friends and cold drinks!

I've been doing well with the snapper this year, at least in my eyes. That's the third 70+cm I've caught this year (including one that went 82cm), and there's been plenty in the 50 and 60cm range. Actually, I've only caught a few that have been undersized.
    It's also about the third or fourth time this year that I've lost a fish of that caliber (that I've called for snapper, anyway). So I figure my time is coming. I figure I've got to get lucky and hook one that runs away from structure or something. And it's certainly going to involve luck to land!

I took a couple of pics, but we all know what snapper look like.
    Cheers!

Re: Long Day at Harry's

Top effort again Jas. You have been very consistent in extracting them. Only one fish, but a damm nice one at that. Will have to tee up a fish one day or another beer around a fire.

Steve

Well you got a system that works well. Good to see snaps in this dirty fresh water as i find they always seem to dissapear when it happens. Good fish to take home and dont you luv it when its the first cast. Top effort for 2012 already. Cheers DD.....

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Top effort again Jas. You have been very consistent in extracting them. Only one fish, but a damm nice one at that. Will have to tee up a fish one day or another beer around a fire.

Steve
    or both. I'm thinking early July. It will take you that long to sort out the new tub.
    Not to get technical...... but according to Chemistry, ALCOHOL IS A SOLUTION