Thread: Woody Head Camping Area

Woody Head Camping Area

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has been to Woody Head Camping Area in the Bundjalung National Park - NSW. We have been invited to spend 3-4 days there at easter. We've had a look on their website and seen what they've had to offer, but what I'm looking for, is a personal opinion. There will also be children going, any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Good things come to those who bait

Re: Woody Head Camping Area

If that's the Woody Head near Iluka, then it's a great spot. Sheltered sites behind the dunes of a beautiful bay, fireplaces (free firewood supplied), good for kids and grown ups.
    Cheers,
    Leigh (Kero).

hi
    you could try to google it on maps

ronnie

I go there for a week each year. Its a nice spot but the sites seem to be getting more crowded each year. If there has been a lot of rain then a lot of sites are pretty swampy due to the runoff from the dunes behind it. A small ramp (best for tinnys) and some good rock fishing on your doorstep. Shark Bay to the north is a great beach to visit and fish
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

great facilities with showers, 20cent operated

most expensive National Park camping fees country NSW

does get swampy in wet weather on the back sites

boat ramp useless at high tide if by yourself and a bit of wind up ya bum but alright for boats up to 5m at the right tides. not too far to Iluka to launch ships and go out through the bar or up the Clarence River
    plenty of fishing opportunities beach, rock, river and breakwall

fish co-op in Iluka for fresh prawns

most crowded camp area I have ever seen at Christmas time, could get a bit crowded at Easter

used to be a great rainforest walk behind the dunes towards Iluka from Woody?

can catch the ferry over to Yamba for a day out

Great spot go and enjoy

met some great people there hey Horse

cheers Murf

I've been camping there several times in past years and it is a great place.

You won't be disappointed as the location is quite ideallic for beachside camping. Plenty of open area for the kids to run around too. I've never stayed there when it's been overly crowded, and there will most likely be a few bods around at Easter time.

As already mentioned above in murf's post, it's close to Iluka and it's amenities. The Iluka pub does a good fisherman's basket countery.
    I liked Woody Head as the camping area is right near the beach. There's a 4WD beach entrance right at the fringe of the the camp ground.

Just a km or two north there is Shark Bay, also with 4WD beach access. I've caught plenty of tailor off the beach there and bream and also the biggest flathead I've ever caught that I thought was a shovel nose shark when it came in through the wash. It struggled free though as I tried to grab hold of it & it swam off...so I guess that was a kind of catch & release.

Anyway, I think Woody Head is a good place and it's high on my list of places to visit again some day.
    "...a voice in my head keeps telling me to go fishing..."