Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: $4000 fine

Re: $4000 fine

[QUOTE=Homer_Jay;1352573]Just out of curiosity, for comparison, what would the fine be for flares that are out of date? Or something thay anyone could be caught for something that was "easily overlooked" honest mistake.

I LOL[/QUOTE

Out of date flares are $150, no life jacket $150, Fishing in a green zone $500. - Excuses only work if your cute and cuddly. ( no offence but females tend to get away with quite a few things).

I agree 44 fish is alot - they should have impounded his boat for 6 months.

Taking 44 fish is just like taking 44 mudcrabs - Why are there different rules as the previous guy lost his boat ( crushed). It's all up to the judge and what he ate for breakfast..

Maybe they thought the snapper were just squire and had no size or bag limt

I have often thought that Boating and Fisheries patrol officers should possibly be allowed to carry revolvers or at least tasers.

Wasn't their some incident some years ago where two Fisheries officers allegedly drowned in some part of north Queensland but which many people suspect was actually a case of them being murdered?

If they had had firearms these two may still be alive today.

I can't remember the exact details but if someone else does please feel free to elaborate on it.

Louis

Poaching that many fish is one thing but their behaviour is another. Loss of boat and gear and significant fine would send a message to others. Sell the boat and employ another fisheries officer with the proceeds
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I also wonder how many of the 44 snapper were undersize...

Assault of an officer should be taken very seriously and the courts need to protect them. The offenders got off very lightly and its hard to believe that they weren't charged with assault. In Vic they would've had their rods confiscated with the court deciding if they could get them back. Probably would've been banned from the water for twelve months as well.

I dont believe it 44 snappa .......... it must be a lie ...... I mean with the stocks in such a poor way it surely couldn't be possible to catch that many snappa in one trip...................... the lies we have all been sold. make u think.

BigE

A snapper doesn't necessarily have to be 6 kilo model..

Snapper 35 min - Bag Limit 4 with no more than 1 over 70 cm, it does not say 4 at 35 min PLUS 1 at 70 max. So the bag limit is 4, NOT 5 - clearly stated in the link below to DPI page

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/documents/...-waters-A4.pdf

Mike

Bag limit here is 3 over 400mm and 10 between 280 and 400. Overly generous I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin_Mike View Post
    Snapper 35 min - Bag Limit 4 with no more than 1 over 70 cm, it does not say 4 at 35 min PLUS 1 at 70 max. So the bag limit is 4, NOT 5 - clearly stated in the link below to DPI page

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/documents/...-waters-A4.pdf

Mike
    Well picked up Marlin_Mike.
    Cheers Axl

Bag limit is 4 this from the DPI website:

Changes to the recreational fishing rules for snapper

From 1 September 2011, the recreational bag limit for snapper has been reduced from five to four. A maximum of only one fish with a total length over 70 cm is allowed. The minimum size limit for snapper remains at 35 cm. This applies to all recreational anglers, including fishing from charter boats.

Why did the article not name and shame the second occupant of the boat? Surely he will cop a fine as well being party to the theft of the fish resource?

I think they should also be charged with obstruction and assault if the officer is injured.

Whack up photos of the idiots too.
    Jack.

there's a "real tv" type show on telly with the californian fish and game wardens in it, they carry sidearms and have the same rights as a police officer including the right to arrest and hand over offenders to the police

IMO>

For a F & B Patrol officer to carry a sidearm is over the top. The " Option " to carry one has merits in certain regions under certain circumstances.

This incident highlights the need for increased penalities or at least a review.

A " 3 strikes , you're out " type of punishment could be afforded the Magistrate.

That is, 3 charges ( proven guilty ) under the Fisheries Act with the results being..............

1... Any vehicle or vessel ( or both ) used for the purposes of commiting a crime under the Fisheries Act be forfieted to the State

2......A financial burden placed upon the offender that reflects public opinion and expectations.

3.... Imprisonment and or banning from all fishing activities ( time dependant ).

Under this circumstance the charges could have been.

1. Assault of a F & B Officer

2. Intention to commit a crime ( dumping of fish )

3. Exceeding bag limits of species

4. Obstruction of a F & B officer in his duty

5. ... not mentioned... but the safety equipment search could have revealled issues.

6.... Intention to commit a crime under the Act in relation to Selling of a regulated species without a permit / licence.

7... Giving false evidence / statement / information to a F & B Officer.

At the very least , Lance John Bishop, quite clearly and intentionally commited at least 3 of the above mentioned crimes and therefore aquired his 3 Strikes.

Just my opinion.

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

What a joke. Should have lost vehicle & boat , and who here believes that this is the first time these b*stards have done this.

Cheers Kevin