Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fitzroy River Dumping

Fitzroy River Dumping

I have just moved to yeppoon and working rocky and have been exploring the fishing options around the area but have been gutted to fined out that the mines are just pumping their overflowing tailing dams straight into the river.

if we as fisherman leave rubbish and nets or loose oil into the water in any river or stream in south east we would be fined and probably locked up but up here the mines can pump hundred of thousands of litres into the river and the government do nothing about it, now i dont want to turn this into a political debate but shit at some stage we must realise that we are killing our rivers and streams and killing fish in the process. i am from sunny coast and never realised this until i came up here and have experienced it for my self.

i just dont understand why we constaintly believe the lies we are told, take gladstone for example went down their last weekend and it is obvious that development is causing the problems, i am not against mines or development quite the oppersite, i am for both but there has to be some sort of protections put in place to protect fish and the local fishing areas.

i hope that there is someone out there in a position of power that will finally have the balls to stand up and say that we need to take the local fish and fishing into account when deciding on future mining and port facilities. and striaght dumping in to local rivers can not be allowed to happen.

i have in ten months got evidence of the metals in the river water go up from 280 parts per million to over 1200 parts per million, this is the drinking water for rocky and what we are eating fish out of. makes you think and gets me angry.

supa

Re: Fitzroy River Dumping

Been doing it since the big rain last year. Salt levels in the Fitzroy are shocking, I suspect its the cause of all the fish problems down Gladstone way as well, not local dredging.

supa,

you need to contact DERM immediately and demand and explaination.

You also need to contact your local State and Federal member of parliament....... immediately. Contact opposition members as well.

You also need to contact your local councillor.......................immediately.

If you recieve no response with a week, go back, take pics and write a story and send it in to your local paper, Courier Mail, fishing magazines and also send off copies to any Conservation group you can find.

You can also send it off to Fisheries Queensland, rec fishing manager........ pm me for details.

If you need assistance with this, pm me........... also AF member Xtremeboony now lives there, pm him and get ya heads together for some action.

Cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

The mongrels have worked out that is far far cheaper to dump a load in the river and pay the fines than do the right thing
    it has been happening for a long time according to mines workers it is only being noticed because of the attention the flood waters have bought to the area it is not right
    the fines should be based on profits and hit them where it hurts
    cheers
    IFISHCQ2

i work int he construction of the Rocky base hospital and part of which was the new renial dialysis unti when we started the unti up the water quality showed around the 280 to 300 mark parts per million of metal, now it is running at 1200 plus parts per million of metal. for an example Cairns water has about 80 to 100 parts pe million so you can see the difference. the hospital has made all these government agencies aware of this including the local water board but they just dont seem to give a shit. i just dont understand the locals when their water is so contaminated and they jsut put up with the bullshit thats fed them by pollies and officials. it is almost criminal and i bet if as a farmer we dumped rubbish even trees or timber in river, he would be strung up by the short and curlies. i under stand now why there is so much fish kill up this way when you see the scale of the rivers catchments and the ease at which anyone can dump in them. the boat traffic on gladstone harbour is scary. i seen the fraser ferry and moreton bay ferry there so money geting thrown around and everyones making it but forgeting about whats under the water.

shame but we wont realise until it stuffed.

i m no grenny but hate seeing a good thing wasted and not even worried about.

supa.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    supa,

you need to contact DERM immediately and demand and explaination.

You also need to contact your local State and Federal member of parliament....... immediately. Contact opposition members as well.

You also need to contact your local councillor.......................immediately.

If you recieve no response with a week, go back, take pics and write a story and send it in to your local paper, Courier Mail, fishing magazines and also send off copies to any Conservation group you can find.

You can also send it off to Fisheries Queensland, rec fishing manager........ pm me for details.

If you need assistance with this, pm me........... also AF member Xtremeboony now lives there, pm him and get ya heads together for some action.

Cheers LP
    Phil it seems pretty clear that DERM couldn't give a shit about the environment when the mining industry is causing the problem. As for the pollies... total waste of time, maybe the greens

The Fisheries seem more interested in protecting our fish stocks by adding more green zones . whenever there is a fish kill in this area its hushed up or test results are "inconclusive"

Maybe if 4 corners or something like that got hold of the true story here something might happen, but unlikely

Funny. When the greens really can do something productive and meaningful we here only the sound of silence.

Louis

Sounds like the incidence of mental illness and general malaise is going to rise in Rockhampton if something isn’t done.

Louis

Quote Originally Posted by supa29 View Post
    the water quality showed around the 280 to 300 mark parts per million of metal, now it is running at 1200 plus parts per million of metal.
    Metal what metal as there are dozens of them, you aren't getting it confused with salt which is not a metal?

Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    Metal what metal as there are dozens of them, you aren't getting it confused with salt which is not a metal?
    nah bros, the Renal Dialyisys machine reads and removes metal from the water, any metal. we are talking particles of very small size and are removed. Sorry but like alot of people i dont write on here to make myself look good i am just explaining that we just installed 2 of 500 thousand each machine to help clean peoples blood by infusing it through a membrane using totally clean water. if i thought it was bloody salt i would probably get sacked and look like a dick on here. the machines do remove all impurities and yes salt is one but the main reading the machine gives off is a metal removal. the other things may be similiar or more but the metal is the worst thing that can get through the membrane so it is monitored and recorded.

i doubt if anyone in power care as mining is the biggest source of revenue this country has, without it we are rat shit.

supa..

what metals> have you spoken to the local council...what about their water treatment plant? They adding anything?

what mines? the beaurocrats would want to know which mines are suspected..heaven forbid they may have to actually find out for themselves

It would be interesting to have a breakdown of what metals are in the sample, I have just finished building a waste treatment system at work and at present going through the commissioning process. The amount of heavy metals that we are allowed is quite low. The main ones that concern us is Chromium @ 20ppm, copper @ 10ppm and zinc @ 10ppm. I get scared when I start to add up what I've spent (well its only the boss's money) to achieve the limits we are allowed and then Wide Bay Water let 4 million liters of raw sewage escape into the Mary River.

Mark

When they set limits of parts per million, that just sets the amount of additional clean water they add to the discharge, it doesn't lower the total amount of pollutant discharged.

Call me a Cynic.

There has been a lot said about the Rocky water only due to the discharge of water from the mines and the resulting poor taste this water has a high sodium content heavy metals are low. This high level of sodium has been stated as causing problem with dialysis water but no mention of metal.
    http://www.fitzroyriver.qld.gov.au/p...lityreport.pdf

I think the highest metal concentration is alluminium, but the report from a couple of years back mentions that the tests performed by the Ensham mine was basically not accurate as to the amount and composition of the heavy metals. What a surprise.....

As the Fitzroy is flowing quite well atm I expect the mines out west are fevereshly pumping their pitwater in as fast as they can right now.