Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BANAX vs DAIWA

BANAX vs DAIWA

Interesting to see that Alan Hawk rates the Banax SX above the Daiwa Black/Gold, which is twice the price as the Banax.

These 2 spinners have been around since the '80's virtually unchanged.

Re: BANAX vs DAIWA

I've got a small SX, it's been a useful, dependable reel over the last 8 years or so.
    Whether it will last 40+ years like my now-retired mitchell 315 is another matter.....lol
    Personally I'd prefer the big BG in the surf over the Banax.
    Alan is definitely a man who knows his reels, though......

Hi Nigel
    I would be genuinely interested in your preference for the BG in the surf. Care to shed some light?

Probably because I have/have had quite a few Daiwas and they've all been/ are pretty impressive.......and I would have to admit I'd probably believe you get what you pay for to a greater extent and I've always lusted a little after a sexy-looking BG.........
    The BG was designed to compete against the US-made Penn Spinfisher, and as such is a quality item. I'd pick one over the SX anyday, even though I do like the SX.
    If someone were to give me an SX 5000 I'd certainly give it a go, personally I reckon they are the best of the Banax reels and are pretty good quality for the price.
    I'd personally rate Banax below Shimano/Daiwa and above Silstar, Jarvis Walker etc etc.
    These days Reggy I use very retro gear for the surf; simple, rugged, easy to dismantle, service and clean. Most of it is French-made from the late 60's early 70's!
    Darn heavy though; eventually I will retire the large reels to boat-based inshore duties and rock fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by reggy View Post
    Interesting to see that Alan Hawk rates the Banax SX above the Daiwa Black/Gold, which is twice the price as the Banax.

These 2 spinners have been around since the '80's virtually unchanged.
    Yes, but he ranks the Daiwa SS Tournament (1st), the Shimano Symetre FJ (2nd), and the Penn Battle (3rd) above both, in the 'best spinning reel under $100' category, doesn't he? The Symetre FJ is the current model, and the Penn Battle is a new reel. I'm not sure how long the SS Tournament has been around for, probably 15 years or more. They're still popular in the US, I think.

I don't know about you, Reggy, but I don't really want to go back to using spinning reels with no instant anti-reverse. The old reels had poor line lay for braid too (and for mono, a lot of them), though I never tried those particular Daiwas or the Banax. I remember eyeing up the Daiwa Black Gold in the 80's though, but I was still in school and it was way out of my price range. They were Daiwa's flagship spinning reels back then, and comparatively much more expensive than they are now, probably. Old models are like that - look at how cheap Shimano TLD's are now.

With all the talk about "cheaper alternatives" lately, I've been thinking about putting up a link to Alan Hawk's lists, especially because of the recent review he did for the new Tica Talisman ("Best Budget Offshore Spinning Reel"). I'll start separate threads for those, I think.

http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/lists.html

Did you know you can buy a 'new in box' Daiwa Black Gold BG60 from the US for AUD$76.56? No one is selling a new Banax SX for half that, are they? I could only find Australian sellers selling Banax SX's - for $130-$140. Australian retailers aren't selling Daiwa BG's for an inflated price, are they? Surely not! (Sorry to be contradictory, Reggy!)

Cheers,
    Brent.

Hows he rate a Stradic fj 6000?

Coz I bought on for surf spin, surf/ bait.

Bit worried about going the spin gear but better for me.

cheers

Click on the link...

The Stradic FJ is ranked 1st in "Best General Use Saltwater Reel Under $200".

Quote Originally Posted by Brent_P View Post
    Click on the link...

The Stradic FJ is ranked 1st in "Best General Use Saltwater Reel Under $200".
    6000 Fj goes for a about $250.00

Ill check this site anyway.

cheers

The Stradic 6000 FJ sells for $171 AUD in the US. Alan Hawk lives in England, so he doesn't have to pay the Aussie price for fishing reels (and neither do you, actually)

$199.00 was the price I got off an Aussie site for the BG. The price I paid for my Banax SX5000 in my local tackle shop in Rockhampton was $98.00 3 months ago.

Actually, the Banax SX has many similarities to the SpinfisherSS It has the double anti reverse with 2 levers like the Penn, only the Banax SX has an improved, friction wheel system that is more reliable than the eared system that Penn use for the primary pawl.
    Avet, Okuma Makaira and Talica 2 also use this system.

Okay, sorry - I'm just an obsessive fishing tackle price-checker...

I see that ######## is selling the Daiwa BG90 for $185, which has comparable line capacity to the Banax SX 5000. Looks like the Aussie price is a bit high for the BG.

EDIT:

PS. ######## means 'anonymous Australian online tackle store' (the name got paint-rollered).

Think if you look on Ebay (the cheap one) and most tackle US shops it goes for around $175.00 US + $45.00 Postage $220.00

So $220, I paid an extra $30.00 to feel it on a rod and get some advice from the guy in the store.

Got about $13.00 discount on some super 100 mono, spooled on the reel.

So all up I didn't do so bad actually.

Cheers

lol sorry this thread has nothing to do with 6000fj Shimano

Banax used to make reels for Daiwa which is interesting, now they make for Pflueger, Shakespeare, Okuma, Quantum, Linaeffe and a lot more . A retailer I was asking about Banax said they are one of the biggest makers of reels just not under their own brand. They make a killer electric reel apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by MudRiverDan View Post
    Think if you look on Ebay (the cheap one) and most tackle US shops it goes for around $175.00 US + $45.00 Postage $220.00

So $220, I paid an extra $30.00 to feel it on a rod and get some advice from the guy in the store.

Got about $13.00 discount on some super 100 mono, spooled on the reel.

So all up I didn't do so bad actually.

Cheers
    Yeah - true, there's not much in it with the Stradic, $50 at best if you ask for cheaper postage, plus you get an Australian warranty if you buy locally. I bought my Stradic 3000FJ locally for that reason. When you buy more expensive reels, the difference is more significant.

Alan Hawk's lists do reflect the cheaper price of fishing reels just about anywhere else in the world, though. But we've already had that thread - went for 10 pages or something, didn't it?

Exceptions might be some of the Penn spinning reels, which seem to be 'on special' half the time, and the new Shimano Sustain FG, which is actually slightly cheaper in Australia than in the US. WTF???!!!

Cheers,
    Brent.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Banax used to make reels for Daiwa which is interesting, now they make for Pflueger, Shakespeare, Okuma, Quantum, Linaeffe and a lot more . A retailer I was asking about Banax said they are one of the biggest makers of reels just not under their own brand. They make a killer electric reel apparently.
    Yeah, interesting. I had a look at the 'company history' on the Banax website. It says -

1973 - KOREA-DAIWA Corporation founded as a from of local joint venture.

If you have a look at the Banax SX and the Daiwa Black Gold BG60, they could almost be the same reel...