Saltwater Aqarium

Hi all.

I will investing in a fish tank in the next month or two and am after some advice. I would like to do it cheap.... $62 1000l per hour canister filter. With included media. It has a 1 year warranty so im happy. I will be running a 4 foot 200l fish tank and will be trying to get one for free (help would be great-carton of beer...) from the local dump shop which i have seen them there before. 200watt heater. Drift wood. live sand. It will be salt. Hydrometer for water salinity tests. 5 in one test strips to test the following: Ph, Nitrate, Nitrite, General Hardness, Carbonate hardness and a separate ammonia test kit. The fish tank will have a background. Also a 50 watt fluro light from bunnings with homemade housing.

The water, first question?

If i was to Get water from the sea i would be restricted to land based. I live on the sunshine coast and would be after a spot where i can find the clearest of salt water. Plankton would not be a problem as i have heard if you are to leave it in a container for 5 weeks it will die and not be a problem.

Another question? where is a really good fish store with really cheap salt (if i chose to do it that way), driftwood and chemicals. Basically General products. Mainly The driftwood and salt though.

If you find anything wrong with my setup please note.

Fishinwahbee

Re: Saltwater Aqarium

Gday mate, im not sure about in salt but in fresh tanks, driftwood will discolour the water to a slighly yellow tan colour

G'day,
    I recently started a simillar topic in the spearfishing section, some great advice has been posted. Maybe have a ganda at that!
    Stop professional fishing... before it's too late!

there is a lot to consider regarding the setting up of a saltwater tank you need to work out what you want to keep, fish only or soft corals as soft corals require more then just a canister filter and a light from bunnings you will need a chiller and so much more it's important to get it right for the sake of your wallet and for the marine life you are going to put in it .
    there is some really good forums out there for info but i would suggest to call in to a couple of your local aquarium shops who deal in marines and to gather your info from the experts ( and remember to cycle your tank before adding marine life as you will loose them to ammonia and nitrate spikes ) but if you have kept aquariums before you will already know this.
    Cheers
    Paul.

Yes mate I have read many forums and know that you have to cycle the tank until your tank is steady. I am not at the level where I feel confident to run a coral nor planted fishtank. Fish only. I am a fisherman so I know a fishes local habitat which I will try to create. Many of these local habitats do not consist of plants on coral. I will catching my own fish from the sunshine coast. I have recently watched at least 10 YouTube tutorials, read many
    Forums and websites and have
    Made a 5 page booklet of dotpoints which I have read over
    Many times. I have also made a shopping list. Thankyou for posts!

Just a quick question. Where do i find Live Rock on the sunshine Coast.

look up coral plantations

Cheers Mate Great website and i think not bad prices. What does everyone think about getting natural sand from the Maroochy River next to Chambers Island