Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slimmys on the Furuno 1150

Re: Slimmys on the Furuno 1150

Mick the ff50 is comparable to a furuno 582L (now superceeded). A 585 with a 1kw transducer is a major improvement over these. The 582L was comparable in price to today's prices for 585.
    I have both the 582L and a 585 in 2 different boats and a mate has the ff50 who I have fished with on regular occasions, so I am talking first hand.

Quote Originally Posted by chop duster View Post
    Mick the ff50 is comparable to a furuno 582L (now superceeded). A 585 with a 1kw transducer is a major improvement over these. The 582L was comparable in price to today's prices for 585.
    I have both the 582L and a 585 in 2 different boats and a mate has the ff50 who I have fished with on regular occasions, so I am talking first hand.
    I'm not arguing with you,or have i taken what you have said(so i am talking first hand) the wrong way??

Sorry what I meant was I have personally used these sounders and sharing my opinion based on that. The ff50 is a solid sounder, although not up there with 1150 IMHO

Cool,in no way was i comparing them.The cost difference is huge.
    What im trying to say is for a trailer boat fisherman the jrc is producing the goods.
    I just thought the images were as good as the furuno yet the jrc is alot cheaper.
    Cheers Mick

Quote Originally Posted by battler1 View Post
    Attachment 76762Attachment 76761 Slimmys Wall to Wall.

joe
    Hello Joe,
    How come you run your depth settings in fathoms if GPS mapping is in metres? Are you able to change your depths on your charts?

Cheers
    Marty
    Living the dream, Barry

Marty,

some places in the local vernacular the boys run in fathoms and some places it is metres. The Gold Coast boys are all in fathoms some days as the reefs are all named in fathoms, ie. 18s, 24s, 36s, 42s, 50s etc. Even you south passage boys should be in fathoms, ie. 29s, 33s etc. I guess it is just what you are used to. Sometimes mackerel fishing we are in feet as we drop our downriggers down with a counter in feet.

Dave,

I am sure you will get it sorted. Only fished on one boat with an 1150. He went that way because it networks to MFDs. He has a 12" in the tower and another 12" next to the 1150 running Navnet 3D. The 1150 and split screen in the tower works a treat. I got Jimmys 585 working at Jim's in only its second day on the water playing with the TVG, interference, auto gain settings, etc., etc. You should be able to NMEA your Raymarine to the Furuno. I linked my Lowrance to my 585. I can hit mark on the sounder, scroll over to the high point or fish and hit mark again and it will display the long and lat. I can get all my nav data on the data boxes or nav screen on the Furuno. Still not a fan of Raymarine plotters after using Jims the other weekend. The snail trail isn't big enough. Love the Lowrances. Can do a different colour every day and I guess it helps when you know them inside out. I am sure the Simrads are nice now too being owned by Navico but I have only played with a couple, not fished with them.

Just thought I'd throw a old crappy pic of my sounder up.

79 meters..... zoom on left. average settings. But if ya know what your looking at and looking for, it's all good.

The unit is a ( Purchased ) 1995... FCV668 running a 600w standard tranny. I still use this sounder today and fish up to 120mtrs with clarity that amazes some crew members.

It is a really bad pic, I may have better ones around..... I'll see if I can find them. Interesting to look at the old technology compared to the new.

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here