Thread: Camping Northern Rivers

Camping Northern Rivers

Gday All..

Supposed to be taking the missus and the 2 boys camping for a week down at Woody Head, mid March. I have never camped there before, and starting to decide against it being a little bit pricey for just camping.
    Does anyone have any suggestions for anywhere else in that area to camp? I will have a caravan and a 4.3m tinny. A boat ramp and surf beach are both musts

The missus grew up in Grafton and suggested Minnie Water but i believe there is no boat access there besides the surf beach?

Thanks heaps
    Deano

Re: Camping Northern Rivers

hi deano

woody is a great spot but as you say a bit pricey and dont forget to take lots of 20c pices for showers on top of that if you have a 4x4 you can drive along the beach for a few flathead and dart. minni has a nice camp area but drop toilet and no shower i thaik the only place you can launch your boat is off the beach but dont hold me to it the nearst river is at woolii think the caravan park is on the river another place to check out is the brooms head caravan park not far from the sandon river for a fish/crab where yoa can also camp but it fills up very quickly and you cant book ahead

Gday Ryan
    Yeah thanks mate for the info. I will look into Brooms, i have been to the Sandon once and was quite good from memory.
    I will have the surf rods / boat rods crab traps the lot. Would be nice to find a bit of close reef as well if possible

Woody head is good mate. If you have a 4wd you can launch your boat. The ramp is in the national park camping area. Wooli is a top spot as well with the caravan park (Solitary Islands Marine Park reserve)having a boat ramp to access the river and a bit further toward the mouth of the river is a public ramp. If the bar is friendly there are some reefs very close that hold snapper in winter and they also get mackeral off them. Surf beach is also very close. Did I mention it was right next door to a pub!!! Top Spot

Quote Originally Posted by the lump View Post
    Woody head is good mate. If you have a 4wd you can launch your boat. The ramp is in the national park camping area. Wooli is a top spot as well with the caravan park (Solitary Islands Marine Park reserve)having a boat ramp to access the river and a bit further toward the mouth of the river is a public ramp. If the bar is friendly there are some reefs very close that hold snapper in winter and they also get mackeral off them. Surf beach is also very close. Did I mention it was right next door to a pub!!! Top Spot
    Cheers Macca, its becoming a tough decision

Yamba is a nice place off season, can get a bit crazy over holidays!!
    They get some huge Jewies, Bream, Taylor, Black fish off the wall and some fantastic flathead off the inner rock walls and drifting the main channel..
    Not to sure how much they are asking to camp, but there is a golf course and bowling club that have good food and cold beer.. The top Pub is great for lunch as the view over the beach is well worth a look...
    There are heaps of options in the area to fish and just explore, I took my dirtbike there a few times and hit the National Parks, weren't supposed to be in there but was well worth the effort !!!

Also if the weather is crappy on the coast you can head up to the gorge country up river from Grafton and try for a few Bass or cod in crystal clear water. Well worth the drive as the many creek crossings are great for a swim if the weather is hot.

You will have a great time wherever you decide to go its a beautiful spots down that way.

Quote Originally Posted by fishfeeder View Post
    Yamba is a nice place off season, can get a bit crazy over holidays!!
    You will have a great time wherever you decide to go its a beautiful spots down that way.
    Gday Fishfeeder. I have been to Yamba many many times. Fished all the walls, the Clarence, the beaches etc.. we were just looking for somewhere a little different.
    At this stage its gonna be Iluka or Wooli. (or both) I would love to give the Browns Rocks area another crack, been a couple years now.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcray View Post
    Gday Fishfeeder. I have been to Yamba many many times. Fished all the walls, the Clarence, the beaches etc.. we were just looking for somewhere a little different.
    At this stage its gonna be Iluka or Wooli. (or both) I would love to give the Browns Rocks area another crack, been a couple years now.
    Wooli is tiny compared to Yamba but it fun and the close by Minni Water is beautiful. Wooli River is a pretty small system so when it is off there aren't a lot of options IMO if you stick to the river. None the less we have had great days with Flatties, bream and whiting in the river when we have gone. We also had quite good luck with flatties land based at Minni near the beach launch point. No night life etc but that is how we like it on holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas & Clarry View Post
    No night life etc but that is how we like it on holidays.
    Haha yeah well i will be up too early fishin to enjoy any kinda nightlife.
    Every time i try to steer clear of Yamba i always end up going somewhere pretty close to it anyway heheh.

Minnie is nice. The beach launching area is very well protected although I haven't personally used it. Wooli is not far if you wanted to launch there instead - and it has a bit of a river.
    Campground at Minnie is very nice compared to being in a van park at Wooli or Yamba if you ask me.

Iluka it is. Only cause i cant get away from the excellent Clarence fishing. Will prob have a day trip or 2 to the other places.

i dont envy you at all i have been touring tas for the last 3 weeks and have atleast 7 to go