Thread: Curtain and Western Rocks

Curtain and Western Rocks

Caught up with Wayno60 and put the boat in at Scarby with the plan of getting a few livies from Bulwer and poking our heads out to venus banks or western rocks before sitting on curtain for the night. But on the way to Bulwer we came across massive schools of macks smashing bait on the surface, the biggest schools i have ever seen. Pulled up and flicked a couple chromies and and Waynes on. Loser me is too slow with the gaff and it spits the hooks at the boat. Chased the schools of macks around the shipping channel for about a hour with not another hit. Behind the mack schools was a tuna school with solid looking fish hitting the surface but the with the sun quickly setting we decieded to try and get a couple livies befor the sun set. Shot down to curtain with our solo whiptail to try our luck. Snuck into the arti with the cobia mark from last time but there was a boat on it so we sat to the north of it. Dropped the livey down of 50lb braid and 60 lb fluro leader with a treble in its back. Before i could bait up my other rod the livey has been smashed!!! Ripped rod out of the holder with too much excietment and pulled the hooks with set the tone for the night. We got smashed by quality fish 8 or 9 times dropping baits under the boat. Pulled out a legal squire and moses perch aswell as the juveniles. Waynes luck still not with him he pulls up a nice 50cm odd squire gets it to the boat and it spits the hook at him. Better getting smashed by the mosters and losing fish at the boat than a quiet night with no bites.

we closed our eyes and and had a quick sleep and waited til the sun was starting to break through.

We went back up to bulwer and drifted half a dozen times to get a few livies and aslo pulled out a nice 50cm grinner,

Shot out to western banks and some dude was on another mark of mine so we went slightly north of him for a drift. Wayne drops his livey as do i and waynes livey is going beserk and mine is sitting calm. I say f@#$ this i was an excited live not a half drowned whiptail do i pick up my rod and it takes off. Now i have caught barra up to 18kg and this thing had plenty more power than that. Didnt run with blistering speed up a powerful run and i couldnt turn its head so i put on some hurt and pull the hooks once again. We continue drifting pulling out little pickers then return to our mark for another drift. Yet again smacked by something better than i. Plenty of solid fish found and none caught but did manage a nice cod for dinner and how sweet it was.
    Thanks Wayne i had a phat time and am looking foward to our next trip.
    I'd rather lose fish than not find them.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maori cod.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	76746

Re: Curtain and Western Rocks

nice looking cod.

Unlucky trip mate. Were you using a treble hook for your livey? I prefer an 8/0 gamagatsu circle hook out there.

I was using a treble since its mack season and you never know your luck but usually use an 8/0 circle.

nice maori cod mate!! one of the best eating fish you will find round moreton bay...you did well

Quote Originally Posted by smokindrag View Post
    nice maori cod mate!! one of the best eating fish you will find round moreton bay...you did well
    Spot on. Delicious little fish, my favourite from the bay.

Mate, you left out how many times you had to rerig...i cant talk, im off to the local tackle shop to stock up, couldnt belive how much terminal tackle you go through on the reefs...

your lures arent 'in the zone' if you dont get hung up often........