Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Checked out the Pine this morning.

Checked out the Pine this morning.

Had a look at the Pine today - first time since the floods.

Zero prawns

Zero lizards

17 muddies - zero keepers!

8 bream - 2 keepers!

Should have gone to Mud!

Cheers Freeeedom
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Feb6 002a.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	76739  

Re: Checked out the Pine this morning.

What was the water quality like Freeeedom?

hey freeeedom, I was also out this morning on the pine. so hot I could have cooked eggs on the tinnie. caught 1 keeper flatie in the cast net when casting for bait. no bait no crabs.
    so where were you mate? I was mostly on the south pine with quick trip to stinky bend and back.
    cheers, brad.
    is time to go fishing yet

Same bayside Freeedom. Water was brown all the way to lamb island. at high tide. another week.

hey guys, i went for a cruise up there from Clontarf on saturday right up to near the rail bridge. I saw nothing but that hyacinth plant everywhere and a few big logs.
    Oh and also, that group of prawning dudes that have hung out near the pontoon for the last 10 years or so

Freeeedom,

What was the water like, and was there much debris floating by? I was wondering how long it will take to sort itself out.

Sorry to hear that things are quiet, but happy because I don't look like getting out this week.

Thanks,

Dave

Lapras and Shagga

There is still plenty of debris in the river with big logs and large rafts of hyacinth going past all the time. It's OK to travel if you keep a good look out ahead, but I wouldn't like to try it in the dark. You'd also need to keep an eye on your crab pots as the hyacinth catching on the floats could (and did) move them quite a long way from where you drop them. The water at the freeway bridges was totally fresh but the salt (and the jellyfish by the thousands) did push up to about Deep Water Bend at the top of the tide.
    The water at the Redcliffe bridges had a reasonable amount of salt in it and was condsiderably cleaner than further up. Most of the debris is coming down the South Pine, as is usual.
    As well as there being no prawns, there's very little live bait anywhere. I guess things will improve in a week or so - as the salt pushes back the fish and prawns will come back with it.

Clone Trooper - I fished both sets of bridges and went up the South Pine beyond the trawler's limit and the North Pine as far as Stinky Wall looking for prawns.

Cheers Freeeedom

yer Freeeedom, I wont be fishing the pine for at least a couple of weeks.
    is time to go fishing yet

I fished Hay's inlet on Saturday, plenty of bait around the sewerage outlet. Cat fish and female muddies were all that was around. Be aware that the yellow bouy at the entrance to Hay's at the wells has been removed. Very tricky if you do not know about the rocks.
    Tight Lines

Split-shot

Quote Originally Posted by split-shot View Post
    I fished Hay's inlet on Saturday, plenty of bait around the sewerage outlet. Cat fish and female muddies were all that was around. Be aware that the yellow bouy at the entrance to Hay's at the wells has been removed. Very tricky if you do not know about the rocks.
    Hey Split-shot. I must have driven straight past you once or twice. I noticed that yellow buoy was gone too and now there is a sign way out in the middle that says something like '0.5m shoals'. I had a look up one of the little creeks (saltwater creek maybe?) and there were huge schools of very large mullet around the real snaggy areas.

I went for a paddle on Sunday in the pine and found a heap of bait on the inside of the last point from dohles rocks towards the main banks between the pine and hayes inlet if youknow what I mean.....

Follow the left hand bank up from dohles towards the mouth and it forms a samll bay where on the outgoing tide is a relief from current etc, schools of poddy mullet by the thousand were in there at the very start of the runout on sunday morning.....

Also a mate got good a feed of muddies in a very short amount of time with pots near the hornibrook so the crabs have been pushed a long way out.

Hope this helps somebody.

Kev

They're slowly improving. Went out yesterday morning (Friday) for about four hours. Caught about 20 bream - kept 7, plus one lizard and a summer whiting. Also found a school of small jew - caught 3 in quick succession, all about 40cm, before they disappeared.
    Cheers Freeeedom

Were you bait fishing? I was on the bank near the mouth at 5am this morning and there were allot of bait fish being chased and I only had a few bumps on my plastic until something hit very hard and went ZZZZZ for 60 seconds and only about a meter from the bank before I lost the hookup. It felt like a Trevally. After 2 1/2 hours I gave up. Beautiful morning and I will post some photos up somewhere?

Yes Chop - I launched at DWB about 7.15 (VERY late for me, but I'd been to Bribie the day before and slept in until about 6.00a.m.) - ran down to the Redcliffe bridges and fished there for about 2 hours both at anchor and on the drift. Went back up to the freeway bridges a bit after 9.00 and caught most of my bream up there. All fish caught on the yabbies I brought home from Bribie.
    Cheers Freeeedom

Kingcray,
    Saltwater is heading directly up past the sewerage pipe, it turns into a green zone just after the pipe. Freshwater is off to the left after you come under the bridges.Some good looking areas up freshwater, but have never really done any good up there.
    Tight Lines

Split-shot