Thread: VHF Marine Radio Course

VHF Marine Radio Course

Hi Guys

Just done the Marine Radio Operators Proficiency Certificate at Coastguard Redcliffe.
    Peter J Hackett was the presenter. It was well worth doing. $155 cash started at 8:00 to 17:00 and lunch was included. 25 multi choice questions at end of course and a practical. It showed you what were calling channels, working channels, dsc channel ( digital selective calling), and repeater station channels. How to use mayday, pan pan ( urgency calling), securite ( safety call) and how to talk to Coast guard and VMR stations. A flare demonstration was held, they showed us the different flares that were available on the Australian market and how each one was different that some have a telescopic pole, another has a handle that is attached to it and different triggering devices. It highlighted to me that I'm now going to go out to the boat to look at my flares to see how mine work. As if it is in the dead of night and trying to read instructions I would have no chance. The other thing that they brought to our attention was Epirbs - how almost 40% never test their EPIRBS as they think it is there until the warranty runs out and only 10% test before each trip and I'm in this 40% as I've never tested my EPIRB since the day I bought it. Sorry about the long Blurb but Peter got me fired up. Cheers Bill

Re: VHF Marine Radio Course

Thanks mate, do you know when they are doing another course?

Re: VHF Marine Radio Course

Matt76 Call coast guard redcliffe no 32035522 and they will assit you