Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MV Booby Bird Charters of Gladstone

MV Booby Bird Charters of Gladstone

Was wondering if anyone has been out on this charter and how did it pan out?

Re: MV Booby Bird Charters of Gladstone

Ive never been out on it but have seen it out there at the swains and in gladstone its a big boat and has been around for a long time,if its got tenders to venture around the reef and lagoons a lot better,but there all about the same i suppose they have to get a feed or the reputation suffers but on saying that you dont want a skipper to stay on a reef for more than a day or day and a half the reef will go shy.

Hi. I know the skipper well. Been with him earlier boat. Very experienced, does not like drunks. Hope this helps cheers john

have a look at the capricorn star which also runs out of gladdy. Done a few charters with them to swains and samuraz reef. Well set up boat for drift fishing and also has dories. I think they might have new owners.

cheers from boony
    Fishing can be defined as "A jerk on one end of the rod, waiting for a jerk on the other".
    "Fishing was around along time before you darling"

Cant you sleep Boony?

TOL

Went on a Swains Charter on the Booby Bird a few years ago.

It was a very rolly boat and the sleeping quarters are in the hold next to the engines, very noisy and hot. Not a comfortable ride. But skipper and crew were ok.

All of our team on that trip agreed we would find a different boat next time.

Just my opinion.

Cheers

ML
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

As above, boat was ordinary, very rolly boat and noisy. Location and crew superb, tenders were basic tiller steered tinny and we used them the whole week as the weather made deeper water fishing off limits, other boats could fish the deep but we couldn't. Price wise it seems to be one of the cheaper options for this area but it is reflective of what you get for your money.

Ive been on it 3 times ,as stated previously, she rolls like anything, and the cabins are noisy when steaming. If it gets a bit willing crossing capricorn channel there will be a few who are visiting the rail.
    It depends on the crew as to how the trip pans out, and Ive had good and bad experiences on the Booby.
    Good when the owners sons were crew, and bad on another couple of occasions.
    My brother has also had many more trips on her than me, and also had a couple of trips that left a sour taste.
    She usually fishes on Sweetlip reef and there-abouts. Its a big reef but gets a fair bit of attention.
    They used to anchor over a big bommie just off the main reef with about 60ft under the boat , so a lightly weighted floatline would get you into deep water,,, at night, good fun,as you never know what might be passing by.
    She has plenty of dories, the meals were great on one trip, OK on another, and ordinary on the third....again its the crew that makes the trip.
    Because of the high foredeck you can only fish the rear deck.
    She can take a big group,17-18 i think, this can be good if you happentohave a few less experienced fishers, as with the dories spread out you usually find one or two of them do all-right
    This can also make for a less expensive trip. So I guess you get what you pay for.
    If I had the budget I would use another charter.
    Having said that ,a weeks fishing with a great bunch of blokes catching quality everyday,,,,, whats bad about that.
    I hope that helps!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rando View Post
    Ive been on it 3 times ,as stated previously, she rolls like anything, and the cabins are noisy when steaming. If it gets a bit willing crossing capricorn channel there will be a few who are visiting the rail.
    It depends on the crew as to how the trip pans out, and Ive had good and bad experiences on the Booby.
    Good when the owners sons were crew, and bad on another couple of occasions.
    My brother has also had many more trips on her than me, and also had a couple of trips that left a sour taste.
    She usually fishes on Sweetlip reef and there-abouts. Its a big reef but gets a fair bit of attention.
    They used to anchor over a big bommie just off the main reef with about 60ft under the boat , so a lightly weighted floatline would get you into deep water,,, at night, good fun,as you never know what might be passing by.
    She has plenty of dories, the meals were great on one trip, OK on another, and ordinary on the third....again its the crew that makes the trip.
    Because of the high foredeck you can only fish the rear deck.
    She can take a big group,17-18 i think, this can be good if you happentohave a few less experienced fishers, as with the dories spread out you usually find one or two of them do all-right
    This can also make for a less expensive trip. So I guess you get what you pay for.
    If I had the budget I would use another charter.
    Having said that ,a weeks fishing with a great bunch of blokes catching quality everyday,,,,, whats bad about that.
    I hope that helps!!!
    Sour Taste?? Did you get onto the fish or were these trips unproductive???

And what size is the best hooks to take? And Lead?

Your pm's are full

Quote Originally Posted by trymyluck View Post
    Your pm's are full
    I just cleared it, dont get much space on here do you ..... 0468 348 887

Did we get on to the fish?? is a hard question to answer,,, on some days we did and would fill a fish bin in a session, on others you could fish hard for not a lot of return,,,, like any trip really. The difference is the amount of fishable area, the location, and the quality of fish. And of course weather plays a part, fishing the shallows is hard going if you cant get a good "hang" in the dories. and sometimes its just too rough to even launch them, which limits you to drift fishing on the big boat.

Hooks 6/0,7/0 take plenty they should cover most fishing, with maybe a few bigger size up to 10/0

Quote Originally Posted by rando View Post
    Did we get on to the fish?? is a hard question to answer,,, on some days we did and would fill a fish bin in a session, on others you could fish hard for not a lot of return,,,, like any trip really. The difference is the amount of fishable area, the location, and the quality of fish. And of course weather plays a part, fishing the shallows is hard going if you cant get a good "hang" in the dories. and sometimes its just too rough to even launch them, which limits you to drift fishing on the big boat.

Hooks 6/0,7/0 take plenty they should cover most fishing, with maybe a few bigger size up to 10/0
    People say 6 and 7/O but you look at the mouth on those trout and the Reds and they would easily take an 8/O plus............why 6/0 hooks they seem so small??????? Also how many per day ??? 50 hooks per day for fishing??? Trying to work out how much gear to buy.......leave on the 2 June back on the 9 June so id say 5 to 6 days fishing.........

If you fish gangs than 6/0 is ganged together is perfect. For trout fishing I use 8/0 and rarely get bitten off, can be a bit big if the pickers are around. 7/0 is ok, but if a big trout/emperor get it down their throat they can bite you off.

Night fishing for reds and big mouth, usually use a 10/0 or 12/0 suicide style hook for the big fellas. But an 8/0 does the same job.

Pazz