Thread: Minn Kota Bow Mount- Shaft Size

Minn Kota Bow Mount- Shaft Size

Hi Everyone,

I am on the hunt for a Minn Kota bow mount for my new 4.4m Quintrex Hornet Trophy. Can anyone give me some insight as to what shaft length size I will need for the Minn Kota- 48inch or 54 inch. My boat has not been delivered yet, so I am unable to measure any distances from the bow etc. Just thought someone out there might already have one and could point me in the right direction.

Thanks !!!

Re: Minn Kota Bow Mount- Shaft Size

Not sure sorry mate - just make allowances for the size of any choppy or swell conditions, especially if you are going remote controlled & will be standing down the back.

i would think the 54" would be right but can you call the vendor and get them to measure for you?
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Mate I own Stacer 435 barra elite which is the same boat as you have ordered & i'm running a 24v 80lb ipilot 54" & that's perfect for it..

Would I require the 80lb or 55lb motor for the 4.1m polycraft (at 295kg for just the hull weight) - for use in the NT tidal river sysytem?

http://www.polycraft.com.au/model-ra...r/side-console

Splash

Quote Originally Posted by fisho_83 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I am on the hunt for a Minn Kota bow mount for my new 4.4m Quintrex Hornet Trophy. Can anyone give me some insight as to what shaft length size I will need for the Minn Kota- 48inch or 54 inch. My boat has not been delivered yet, so I am unable to measure any distances from the bow etc. Just thought someone out there might already have one and could point me in the right direction.

Thanks !!!

48" for a hornet

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    Would I require the 80lb or 55lb motor for the 4.1m polycraft (at 295kg for just the hull weight) - for use in the NT tidal river sysytem?

http://www.polycraft.com.au/model-ra...r/side-console

Splash

It's always nice to have some herbs up your sleeve ....... & it would be nice to have a 80lb on any boat in that 4-5m size . I did run a 74lb 24 volt minn kota on my 480 hornet and it was pretty right in all but the strongest of currents or wind.
    It really does depend on how you intend to fish .... do fish ! - My new 5m seajay topender is only going to have a 55lb on it because as I worked out if the wind is howling or tide is raging ...... I anchor! - plain and simple . Otherwise you suck the life out of a battery pretty quick anyhow .....
    The thing is I've not only got rid of the expense of a second battery and saved some serious coin on the 80lb - it's allowed me to chuck a bigger 200amp AGM into the boat to run the leccy. So that allows me to run the leccy for longer and at higher speeds if dealing with unfavorable conditions. ..... it's a trade off - but having had both 12 & 24 volt systems on my 480 Hornet I'm quite comfortable going with 12 volt but with a really big battery.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

thanks chris.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Chris- I am guessing you used a 48inch for your hornet? If so, were there any dramas with it being too short or anything? Obviously being a Hornet it will mainly be used in calm conditions up the creek. But it would be nice to know that it handles Ok in a bit of swell in the larger rivers etc, without the electric coming up out of the water! I am guessing having the heavy battery, plus a bloke or 2 up the front would keep the bow down anyway? Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by fisho_83 View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys.

Chris- I am guessing you used a 48inch for your hornet? If so, were there any dramas with it being too short or anything? Obviously being a Hornet it will mainly be used in calm conditions up the creek. But it would be nice to know that it handles Ok in a bit of swell in the larger rivers etc, without the electric coming up out of the water! I am guessing having the heavy battery, plus a bloke or 2 up the front would keep the bow down anyway? Cheers
    Yeh 48" used it in the swells of lake awoonga and every now and then it would pop out ..... but at its maximum depth it was fine . That the problem with the hornet .... into the swell you would take greenies over the bow

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

can the shaft be too long? after all you can set the collar at whatever length you want. would there be any downside other than the additional bow space taken up?
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

I guess the only downside there is with the longer one is the extra bow space taken up, saying that though it would only be an extra 15cm or so. If I can get away with it, I dont want to have to get the 54inch cause it is a few hundred bucks extra, and if there is no real need to get it then I can use that money I save to put towards a battery and charger (I am a tight ass!!!). It was good to get a reply from a hornet owner that suggested a 48 inch would be suitable- it would seem I can save my money afterall!

i will have a not very old minn kota riptide sp/cp/ap with 54'' shaft going on ebay tonight or tommorow its the autopilot model in great condition selling as i bought a new kota terrova ipilot.