Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Evakool - top shelf price - bottom shelf service

Re: Evakool - top shelf price - bottom shelf service

If the fridge is empty its also going to cycle more as there is nothing to hold the temp down.
    I get nearly 48 hours out of a 120ah battery with my 70 litre jobby.

Toddy

On economy my 60 draws 4 amps

Fridge back now from Evakool and some testing completed. Extract of email sent to them today.

Hi XXXX, thanks for your return mail, I’ve done some further testing myself over the last few days and may be able to now explain some issues if you are interested. This time I half filled both the freezer and fridge compartments with items to provide some thermal load and help maintain a normal operating environment.

With the fridge thermostat set to 6.5 and economy operation (compressor drawing 3.5 amps) the unit did generally have a 50% duty cycle (on for about 15 minutes then off for about 15 minutes) with the freezer running between -5.5 and -8.4 and the fridge running at about 4.5, ambient temperature of 24 degrees.

I then upped the thermostat to 8 at 10:41am with interesting results, the fridge only dropped to 2.7 degrees by 1:30pm and the freezer to -12 and -12.3 by 1:50pm, the compressor did not turn off in this time. Ambient temperature up to 27 degrees.

This morning I dropped the thermostat down to 4.5 and the duty cycle time actually increased to 20 minutes with a fridge temp of 2.7 and a freezer temp of -5.8.

So, I think you may be right, the fridge duty cycle can be 50% under certain circumstances.

In this unit’s instance I feel the thermostat control is certainly not linear and in fact turning the thermostat up to encourage a lower internal temperature did nothing more than induce a longer if not continuous compressor run time without really lowering the internal temperature. It seems if I run the unit at about 4.5 I can achieve a reasonable internal temperature and battery life compromise.

So, to their credit I was not ignored however two months to get the issue sorted is a bit long I reckon. Am I now happy - pretty much, I still reckon it ran better prior to the christmas trip.

Fridge no longer up for sale.......at the moment

Craig